Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oman ranked one of the friendliest countries in the world...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Oman ranked one of the friendliest countries in the world... Reply with quote

....but KSA and Kuwait are two of the worst:

http://edgardaily.com/en/life/2015/this-gcc-country-is-one-of-the-friendliest-in-the-world-29341

Any thoughts? Smile
gregory999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple!
Oman is a sultanate with one Sultan, whereas KSA is a kingdom with one King and around 15,000 living highnesses and royal highnesses! Laughing

Of course, the Sultanate is more open to foreigners, other religions, cultures, etc. Whereas the Magic Kingdom is still closed to other cultures, religions, and is governed by a complex system of tribalism. That's why Oman is more friendly than the Magic Kingdom.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Many factors Reply with quote

The religious sect in Oman tends to be more tolerant, even if this was not historically so, in fact it seems to be so currently.

Omanization may have been more effective than attempts in other places, for example Emiratization or Saudization.

Oman seems to favor maintaining and rebuilding historic sites, rather than tearing them down.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man OMAN....please also raise EFL teacher salaries for us.... WE are FRIENDLY too! Laughing
Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well duh!

That's what I thought when I read the subject line to this thread.
In my (limited) experience abroad, Oman IS the friendliest country in the world.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
Well duh!

That's what I thought when I read the subject line to this thread.
In my (limited) experience abroad, Oman IS the friendliest country in the world.

I don't disagree and I mainly posted the article for the benefit of people who are considering working in the Middle East and who may not as yet had the opportunity to visit and experience the various countries in the region, including Oman. If people are weighing up their options between, say, working and living in Saudi and Oman then, although it's just one factor, this thread may be helpful. Besides, all the Arab cultures seem to pride themselves, to some extent, on their hospitality and whilst the friendliness of the Omanis might be a 'no-brainer' and obvious to you, then again, you've been here....
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call the Omani's, in general, polite and respectful to Westerners....but certainly NOT the friendliest people, as a nation on the planet.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ibadi sect of Islam makes up about 75% of the population in Oman. They are not Sunni, could explain a lot.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, most importantly, within the context of the current dispute between Saudi and Iran-the Ibadi sect is notable for not seeing the need for a single leader or ruler for the entire Muslim worldwide community....could perhaps help explain the ease with which Oman is able to take a neutral stance and not get involved in these disputes.....?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
The Ibadi sect of Islam makes up about 75% of the population in Oman. They are not Sunni, could explain a lot.

Nor are they Shia...

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested:

https://www.facebook.com/sumri.net/videos/469565926537112/
Noelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz- I believe you're right. Perhaps Canada could be called the friendliest country in the world right now:) Mine certainly couldn't...

I LOVE Oman. 1st Sergeant Welsh-- thanks for the video link.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:

I LOVE Oman. 1st Sergeant Welsh-- thanks for the video link.

You're welcome Smile.
ardiles81

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Omanis lovely. Great to work with and teach. A thoroughly lovely place if a tad dull.

The main obvious difference between them and their cousins in the er...'hood, is that they haven't had access to wheelbarrows full of free money; and, poor souls, they have had to mostly work for a living rather than have everything handed to them (preferably by some indentured labour / slave) on a guilded plate. Had geology favoured them more, they may well have turned out as pleasant to work with as some of their classy neighbours.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: There is still hope Reply with quote

ardiles81 wrote:
Yes, Omanis lovely. Great to work with and teach. A thoroughly lovely place if a tad dull.

The main obvious difference between them and their cousins in the er...'hood, is that they haven't had access to wheelbarrows full of free money; and, poor souls, they have had to mostly work for a living rather than have everything handed to them (preferably by some indentured labour / slave) on a guilded plate. Had geology favoured them more, they may well have turned out as pleasant to work with as some of their classy neighbours.

It seems that it took perhaps three generations to remove the Omanis from their status as Lords of the Gulf from Zanzibar to Baluchistan, Rulers of the East African Slave Trade and Heirs of Sinbad.

Could a touch of poverty do the same for the rest of the Gulf?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: