Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arab students go to the US, but rarely is the reverse true
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Arab students go to the US, but rarely is the reverse true Reply with quote

Many Arab students go to the U.S., but rarely is the reverse true
By Wagdy Sawahel, Al-Fanar Media | 27 November 2015
Source: http://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2015/11/many-arab-students-go-to-the-u-s-but-rarely-is-the-reverse-true/

CAIRO—Arab students constituted nearly 10 percent of total enrollments of international students at U.S. colleges and universities during the 2014-2015 academic year and contributed just under $3 billion to the economy, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce. These findings were included in the latest edition of the Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange,” published annually by the Institute of International Education (IIE) in partnership with the U.S. State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs that maps global student mobility.

The report found that there were 974,926 international students studying at U.S. colleges and universities last year, of which 89,952 were students from 21 Arab countries. A little over half of those students were enrolled in undergraduate programs, with 34 percent studying at the graduate level, and 23 percent in non-degree programs. Nearly 5 percent participated in degree-related short-term employment.

The largest proportion of students—67 percent—from the region studying in the United States comes from Saudi Arabia. Most of these students receive funding for their education through the King Abdullah Foreign Scholarship Program. Kuwait contributed the second-largest group, with 9,034 students, an increase of 28 percent over the previous year. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are in 4th and 16th place respectively on the list of the top 25 places of origin of foreign students in the United States. According to the Saudi government, there were 107,000 Saudi students enrolled at U.S. universities during the 2012–2013 academic year, contributing an estimated $ 3.2 billion to the U.S. economy.

Explaining the presence of Arab students on U.S. campuses, John Daly, a science and technology consultant and former director of research at the U.S. Agency for International Development said: “It is no secret that the Arab world is still importing scientific knowledge and technology from abroad, nor that the United States remains a great place to learn about science and technology.” To enhance the scientific impact of Arab students who are studying at U.S. universities, Edith Cecil, vice president for professional exchange and community outreach at IIE says they should “seek to establish connections with professors and fellow students that can lead to research collaboration and professional connections after they return.”

Sadallah Boubaker-Khaled, a professor of mathematics at the École Normale Supérieure in Algiers cautiously welcomed the news about the Arab students on U.S. campuses. “This is only the bright side of the story, but the other side is a dark and damaging one,” he noted. He worries that “most Arab students studying abroad don’t return to their countries as a result of several economic, scientific and political reasons, which is threatening the future of higher-education development and scientific progress in the Arab world.” Recent reports have indicated that just over half of Arab post-graduate students currently studying outside their home countries do not return after graduating, which results in annual losses estimated at more than $2 billion to their countries of origin. In addition, Arabs and Muslims are 75 percent of the total scientific talent migration to Canada, the United States and Great Britain.

Daly commented on the cultural and diplomatic benefits of having Arab students in the United States, saying that “Arab students in American higher education give a significant number of U.S. students a chance to meet and get to know Arabs of their own age, with whom they share some interests. In these days it is very important that more Americans learn that Arabs are not all that different than they are.” The Open Doors report and others have noted that students from around the world who study in the United States also contribute to America’s scientific and technical research and bring international perspectives into U.S. classrooms, helping prepare American students for global careers, and often lead to longer-term business relationships and economic benefits.

While many Arab students study outside their home region, only a modest number of U.S. students study abroad every year—304,467 worldwide during the 2013-2014 academic year, according to IIE. Of these, just 3,461, or about one percent, studied in the 19 Arab countries included in the Open Doors report. According to Daly, “since only 3,461 American students are studying at Arab universities, the Arab students in the United States assume a greater importance than they might otherwise. The unrest in the Arab world might explain why more Americans are not going there to study, but the situation must be rectified, for the Arabs as well as for Americans.”

Jordan, Morocco and United Arab Emirates were the top three Arab destinations for U.S. students, together accounting for nearly 89 percent of the total. John Duke Anthony, president and CEO of the U.S.-based National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations, was surprised that the Arab Gulf states were not the top Arab countries hosting American students. “It is Gulf countries where the need for enhanced American knowledge and understanding are highest,” he said. “This, however, poses understandable problems and challenges to the concerned authorities, for the last thing they want or need is increased reason for anti-Americanism in their societies in general or on their campuses in particular,” he added.

Cecil of IIE said that “universities in Arab countries, in cooperation with government ministries and academic associations, can better promote study in their countries that goes beyond the study of the Arabic language. There are many excellent universities in the Arab world that can offer U.S. students opportunities to not only expand their cultural horizons and language skills, but also to be exposed to professors, student colleagues and peers who are focused on similar academic pursuits.”

Other international reports have indicated that few Arab countries are attracting overseas students to their universities. A 2014 UNESCO report revealed that the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are ranked 17th, 19th, and 20th, respectively, in the top 20 popular countries for international students, and together hosted four percent of the global share of mobile students at the tertiary level.

(End of article)
gregory999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Arab students go to the US, but rarely is the reverse tr Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Many Arab students go to the U.S., but rarely is the reverse true
By Wagdy Sawahel, Al-Fanar Media | 27 November 2015
Source: http://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2015/11/many-arab-students-go-to-the-u-s-but-rarely-is-the-reverse-true/
Jordan, Morocco and United Arab Emirates were the top three Arab destinations for U.S. students, together accounting for nearly 89 percent of the total. John Duke Anthony, president and CEO of the U.S.-based National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations, was surprised that the Arab Gulf states were not the top Arab countries hosting American students.

If am a British or an American student who wants to learn the Arabic language, I will not go to the Gulf states. The preferred Arab countries for learning classical (not colloquial) Arabic are:

1. Tunisia
2. Morocco
3. Lebanon
4. Jordan
5. Yemen

Quote:
Other international reports have indicated that few Arab countries are attracting overseas students to their universities. A 2014 UNESCO report revealed that the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are ranked 17th, 19th, and 20th, respectively, in the top 20 popular countries for international students, and together hosted four percent of the global share of mobile students at the tertiary level.

Universities in most of the Arab Countries, especially the Gulf ones, do not have academic freedom.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emirati Arabic speakers learn English, but rarely is the reverse true!

And where oh where is that news headline. Rolling Eyes

Costs of MENA students going to study in Europe and North America are huge! Wonder what the costs are for European and North American students to study in the UAE, KSA, QA, etc... I assume they are lower than "back home". Wonder why these students are not coming to the MENA to study. There certainly are more areas of study in the MENA than the Arabic language.

Thoughts?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to find competent teachers of Arabic in Saudi Arabia. The best one I found was from Manila.
kona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's got probably something to do with most western college students not wanting to study abroad in a country where alcohol and pre-marital sex is illegal.

Can't speak for other countries, but I think most American college students first opportunity to travel overseas happens either during college or immediately after college, and I'm sure living in another country for six months to a year sounds better (in my mind) in Europe, Latin America, or somewhere in (East) Asia, not the Middle East. Not too mention over protective parents probably being completely against the idea of their kid going anywhere near that region as well.

As for me, in university, I chose New Zealand. Cool
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans do not do "Foreign" unless they are in the Military.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Spot on - of course, I spent nearly 1/3 of my life (so far) abroad. Very Happy

Regards,

Stay-at-home John
kona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Americans do not do "Foreign" unless they are in the Military.

The American military doesn't do "foreign" very well. I think one would find more culturally and linguistically appreciative and adaptive individuals in the Peace corp or doing a Fulbright scholarship...
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Scot/John,

"Americans do not do "Foreign" unless they are in the Military."

My brothers and myself did a "Junior Year Abroad" in Austria, my niece and nephew in Italy. These programs are still popular, albeit expensive with thousands participating, but no doubt a small percentage of US students. American students probably go abroad for cultural as much as academic reasons, whereas Arab students most likely go for the opportunity to "party hearty" with academics as secondary IMHO.

My experience led me to spend most of my adult life living and working abroad.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 2buckets,

Scot47 has got to learn to start "qualifying" his pronouncements: e.g Some/Many/A lot of/ Most Americans . . . ." Very Happy

Regards,
John
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear 2buckets,

Scot47 has got to learn to start "qualifying" his pronouncements: e.g Some/Many/A lot of/ Most Americans . . . ." Very Happy

Regards,
John

Awww, no fun in that!

scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the Great Satan suggesting that I should moderate my tone ? I meant of course that "Most Americans do not do foreign"

What worries me is that people from Ukania are now following the US trend. Fewer ever year learn foreign languages. "Foreign" is what Brits do when they have a package holiday or a City Break where they get drunk for 48 hours in an "exotic locale".

Maybe I am the strange one because I spoend so much of my live "furth of Scotia" (ie outside Scotland)

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
is the Great Satan suggesting that I should moderate my tone ? I meant of course that "Most Americans do not do foreign"

What worries me is that people from Ukania are now following the US trend. Fewer ever year learn foreign languages. "Foreign" is what Brits di when they have a package holiday or a City Break where they get drunk for 48 hours in an "exotic locale".

Maybe I am the strange one because I spoend so much of my live "furth of Scotia" (ie outside Scotland)

Actually, the Great Satan loves your tone, so long as you keep on referring to it as the "Great Satan". Laughing

Learning a second language is often times considered a luxury for most working class Americans (heaven forbid kids learn one in our public school system; the founding fathers wanted us to speak American!)
gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona wrote:
Learning a second language is often times considered a luxury for most working class Americans (heaven forbid kids learn one in our public school system; the founding fathers wanted us to speak American!)

More Americans don't travel abroad.
The numbers tell the story: Of the 308 million-plus citizens in the United States, 30% have passports.

Despite the climbing number of American passports in circulation, 30% is still low compared to Canada's 60% and the United Kingdom's 75%.

Many Americans follow the same pattern: work hard in high school, go to college, accrue a load of debt and get a job right away to work it off, Arndt said. The United States doesn't promote taking a year off between major life phases like New Zealand or the United Kingdom.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/04/americans.travel.domestically/

Americans are ignorant
Ignorant as in they simply don’t know what is going on outside their own borders, not that they’re dumb. I don’t blame them, really. When you’re told the world is scary, why would you want to care about it? Why would you want to go to places where they supposedly want to kill you?

So Americans don’t put an emphasis on learning about the world. We don’t take languages, we avoid overseas programs, and we don’t talk about our world in schools. Our schools teach one foreign language: Spanish, and that’s only because there’s a large Spanish-speaking population in the country, not because we want to go to Spain—or Mexico right next door. The media doesn’t focus on the world unless it relates to something bad, and our politicians encourage us to erect walls, not break down barriers.
MOD EDIT
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...Canada's 60% and the United Kingdom's 75%...

Canadians to get cheap gas in Uncle Sam Land. Razz

UKers to get away from the weather/each other! Laughing

Americans are not much, if any, better. The more information is delivered online, the more they devolve into sheeple...with the likes of Joe Scarborough and Nancy Grace being the "shepherds". (shiver) Shocked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: