Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California shooting ....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: California shooting .... Reply with quote

'20 victims' in California shooting

5 minutes ago .....

Police are attending a shooting at a social services facility in California.

The San Bernardino Fire Department tweeted that it was responding to a "20 victim shooting incident" and it was working to clear the scene.

It is still a "very active scene" and police are trying to secure the building, said a spokeswoman from the San Bernardino Police Department.

There may be up to three gunmen she said, and they were heavily armed and possibly wearing body armour.

She did not confirm the number of victims.

A local reporter tweeted that people are being evacuated from the Inland Regional Center, a non-profit medical and health organisation.

People are being seen wheeled away on stretchers with medics and police officers in attendance.

Representatives from the FBI and the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are on the scene.

No arrests have been made yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34987697

It seems all legislative efforts to reform America's gun laws have failed.
America has lost its sense of direction with regard to gun control.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ...I am watching it on ABC now.... but think it is not the time to make a point as to gun control....
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came in with a purpose as if they were on a mission. They were also using long guns (rifles). There was a meeting taking place at the center which is a place for disabilities. It is more than likely some form of terrorism but whether domestic or ISIS unknown. They didn't come intending to die in the assault,
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
It is more than likely some form of terrorism but whether domestic or ISIS unknown. They didn't come intending to die in the assault,

Reading mixed reports on the suspects. "White men", "possibly Hispanic", "Arab", etc. No confirmation on suspects or motive.

Creepy.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . but think this is not the time to make a point as to gun control."

It never IS that time in the USA. Before mass shootings? Nope, where's the need? After mass shootings? Nope - that's the time to talk about "our thoughts and prayers being with the victims' families."

Then "after" turns into "before" and the vicious cycle begins again.

The duration between "before" and "after" seems to be shrinking, though. 351 mass shootings (depending, of course, on how you "define" them - we need to be precise) so far this year, more shootings than days.

http://www.snopes.com/351-mass-shootings/
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post, johnslat, was during the tragic event (unfolding on internet steams) and you know, while folk are being carried out, triage is taking place and families are wondering if their loved ones have survived, taking a pause to reflect on the horror that had just taken place is certainly within reason. I have no qualms with you speaking your mind as to gun control or if religious fanaticism is to blame, so have at it. While were at it, it is certainly telling that a week before, an “impromptu” music video shoot turned into a gun battle that left 16 injured in New Orleans ...likely wasn't covered as thoroughly as it was a black on black, so where was your outrage before or after a bunch of guys who decide to pull out guns and settle a dispute with 300 people in the middle. I think the president just signed a bill allowing 45 caliber ex military weapons to be sold to the public.(the same prez that shared a heartfelt message today.. I don't think they have done anything on a federal level except for some Tittle II weapons... Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired in 2004. The fact is many just don't want to carry a weapon... or want one in their house... understandable ... it is all about choice... I feel better with one but many don't... but I am really talking about what is pervasive in the U.S. today which only severs to polarize any issue whether it be abortion or weapons, refugees, drugs or what have you .. it is the out and out misrepresentation of process that could bring about effective change ...and all publications from the New York Times to the Atlantic to well you could go on forever listing publications and news report as well as political pundits that share in the habit of jumping in on any tragic event to make a point as to issues surrounding tragic events. On one hand some had opinionated that Charlie Hebdo is to blame for being attacked because they publish Mohammed cartoons however on the other hand some have penned tht Planned Parenthood is not to blame for provoking the killer by selling fetuses but rather the video is ...there is no consistency and the truth is not sought but rather slanted opinions to gain support instead of a real discussion as to what could and should be done.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were both Muslim. His wife was brought over by him from Saudi Arabia.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens - we certainly don't want to "politicize*" these tragic events.

No, this is a time only for thoughts and prayers. I wonder how many of the victims were still offering thoughts and prayers for the Colorado victims.

(* talk about actually trying to DO something to reduce their frequency).

Last edited by johnslat on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

however on the other hand some have penned tht Planned Parenthood is not to blame for provoking the killer by selling fetuses but rather the video is ...

Huh? Did you miss all of the subsequent investigation that determined the video to be fraudulent? Widely acknowledged to be a hoax after the fact, and after the initial reporting went viral. Even the producer admitted it was deceptively edited, although he didn't seem to understand that showing footage from a live birth while the narrator voice-over describes an abortion procedure was at all misleading.

I thought Carly Fiorina was the only person who still disputed the fraudulence of these videos, but I'm not really tuned in to the wacky advocates of fact-free reporting.

Apologies for the off-topic detour, but I didn't want to let that particular claim stand as if it were factual. Carry on!

gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:

Terrorism and criminality have no colour, religion, or race.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:

Terrorism and criminality have no colour, religion, or race.

Cute idea. Not supported by the data, though.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"FBI: San Bernardino Shooting Suspects Are Probably Americans, Not "Terrorists"

That's a relief - because if those 14 killed and 17 wounded were victims of "terrorism," why, then, I'd have to be terrorized. But since only "Americans" are responsible for those 14 dead and 17 wounded and not "terrorists," heck, there's no need to be worried or concerned. I mean, it's not as though I'm surrounded by "Americans" every time I walk outside the house, or, in fact, even surrounded by "Americans" inside my house.

Sweet sufferin' succotash - are these people so totally clueless as to how dumb their statements are?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the USA, at least,we support equal opportunity terrorism. All races, creeds, ethnicities are welcomed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#1990s onward
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin
Quote:
Huh? Did you miss all of the subsequent investigation that determined the video to be fraudulent?

Xie Lin
Quote:
Apologies for the off-topic detour, but I didn't want to let that particular claim stand as if it were factual. Carry on!

Never claimed that the vid was factual Xie Lin... but I think you have proved my point as to folk who post here that the truth is not sought but rather slanted opinions to gain support instead of a real discussion as to what could and should be done. Certainly transferring human fetal tissue is legal in the United States and 42 U.S. Code § 289g—2 allows reasonable payments associated with the transportation to be paid and Planned Parenthood (patients who want to donate tissue for scientific research is no different) which is standard across the medical field.

Quote:
showing footage from a live birth while the narrator voice-over describes an abortion procedure was at all misleading.

Did u not actually read my post, Xie Lin?

Xie Lin
Quote:
but I'm not really tuned in to the wacky advocates of fact-free reporting.

I thinks you might be, Xie Lin.

AsianNation
Quote:
but I am really talking about what is pervasive in the U.S. today which only severs to polarize any issue whether it be abortion or weapons, refugees, drugs or what have you .. it is the out and out misrepresentation of process that could bring about effective change ...

johnslat
Quote:
Good heavens - we certainly don't want to "politicize*" these tragic events.

No, this is a time only for thoughts and prayers. I wonder how many of the victims were still offering thoughts and prayers for the Colorado victims.

Again johnslat, leaping into to hyperbole by questioning someones faith or their diligence as to praying serves no purpose except to "big one's self up" at least in your own mind. As stated, my post was written during the attack was steaming and again ..no it is not appropriate to jump on the soapbox while the bodies are still warm.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- how gauche of me. Next time I'll use a thermometer to ascertain the bodies are at room temperature.

I'm sure the friends and families of those killed and wounded were horrified and disgusted that anyone could be so crass as to mention gun control so soon after their loved ones were massacred by people with long guns.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: