Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawrence S.Ting School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emdii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Lawrence S.Ting School Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have information on the Lawrence S.Ting School in HCMC? (I did a search with no results.) Things like work environment, mgmt support of teachers, typical students, etc.

I've not taught in Vietnam, so anything is appreciated.

TIA! Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any knowledge of them but here's this from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_S._Ting_Memorial_School

Quote:
Lawrence S. Ting Memorial School
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lawrence S. Ting Memorial School (LSTS), also known as Dinh Thien Ly School, is a junior and senior high school located in district 7, the Phu My Hung New City Center, of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Lawrence S. Ting Memorial School was established in honor of Lawrence Ting, the founder of CT&D Group of Taiwan.[1]

LSTS is a non-for-profit school for the Vietnamese.[2] LSTS has 7 grades (4 grades for junior high school and 3 grades for senior high school). The first academic year was 2008. LSTS has a campus size of 2 hectares and is located right next to the Saigon South International School. In 2011, LSTS completed its second phase expansion with an addition of new buildings and facilities. Overall LSTS is designed for a student body of 1200 students. LSTS currently has an enrollment of over 800 students.

In 2010, Microsoft Corporation has chosen LSTS as the first Microsoft Innovative School in Vietnam. Faculty members of LSTS participate in Microsoft's Innovative School Partnership training programs at various locations around the world. In a short span of time, LSTS has now become one of the top high schools in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

Here's their website. It's all in Vietnamese but has a lot of photos:

http://lsts.edu.vn

Apparently, they're currently recruiting. The school can certainly provide details about the position.
Emdii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already had a look at the Wikipedia page and their website. Just wondering if anyone out there had some personal experience to add to it.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already had a look at the Wikipedia page and their website, which I forgot to mention or link in my first post. Still, Sigmoid, thank you so much for your help and taking the time to respond.

I know that often people (dare we say teachers?) just post and bluntly ask for info without showing any courtesy, and after they find what they seek, then never come back and share the info for others. I apologize if I came off as ungrateful.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've already had a look at the Wikipedia page and their website, which I forgot to mention or link in my first post. Still, Sigmoid, thank you so much for your help and taking the time to respond.

I know that often people (dare we say teachers?) just post and bluntly ask for info without showing any courtesy, and after they find what they seek, then never come back and share the info for others. I apologize if I came off as ungrateful.

Laughing We've both been on this board long enough to know how often this happens, but that's just the nature of a forum.

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone out there had some personal experience to add to it.

I'd never heard of it and despite their claim to fame regarding MS, it looks like just another high school in Saigon, although maybe a cut above the rest. Just the fact that there's no English version of their website suggests that.

Their FB page is the same:
https://www.facebook.com/dtl.vn

Lots of photos again, which as they say are worth a thousand words. The do have a nice new big building at least.

With nothing on the internet, we can assume that "no news is good news" and every teacher whose ever worked there has been happy, or that although they've been open a number of years already, the school has just recently started hiring foreign teachers.

Again, if you want to know about a school, the best source of info is the school itself ("the horse's mouth"). Yes. of course, don't necessarily believe everything they tell you, but you can tell a lot just from the way they respond. Basically, send your CV and if they express any interest in you, ask a bunch of questions. Generally, schools have HR departments with HR managers that are responsible for this and are usually happy to correspond and chat online.

Anyway, in my experience, teaching in a high school in any country is just about the worst job you can have. The focus is constantly on discipline and activities rather than learning, so it's kind of like trying to teach in a prison. Resources are usually scarce.
Emdii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not thanking you for your efforts. I responded as I would in a conversation, not thinking others would assume a negative tone to my reply.

I've often heard that Vietnamese students are studious and well-behaved, even the teenagers. Just a stereotype then?

Thank you in advance,

Emdii
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was then and this is now. Students can be fine once they are learning as adults. Adolescents are a different matter. Plus, this school in question is likely for the kids from the richest families, not the most cultured, but the richest. To get a clue as to how this group acts, watch the people who drive cars here, then imagine what lessons their children take from this behavior and mold into their own little personalities. Yeah.

If you have never been here, imagine the affluent Chinese, they are a pretty close analog, and there is plenty of info on them worldwide. Everyone's favorite group!

I am constantly struck by how folks who come over for the first time are wondering about a particular granular detail, when that detail is going to be a small concern in real life. Like coming over for any one school, come on, it is all pot luck. You come over if this is the place you want to live here, then TRY to fit yourself around whatever life dishes out for you here. You cannot count on any one school being important to your life. It does not work that way, or if it does, it is not the usual scenario. Your first attempt may not hire you, you may not like them, you may find something a lot better, you may bounce from school to school, you may find more hours and a higher rate elsewhere but need to move to the other side of town to be close to it. Who knows what all can happen? In my view, you come over here for a specific reason relating to wanting something here, or wanting to get away from something there. You work if you need income. Pollyanna gave up and went home a while back. For folks moving across the world just because they want to teach, there has to be somewhere more professional and serious than VN. I think most of our best guys usually give up and move to the middle east.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've often heard that Vietnamese students are studious and well-behaved, even the teenagers. Just a stereotype then?

Quote:
That was then and this is now. Students can be fine once they are learning as adults. Adolescents are a different matter.

Yes, it sounds like something you might have heard from a Vietnam veteran or someone who was a Peace Corps volunteer working with boat people about 35 years ago. Laughing

It is true that they spend a lot of time in school under harsh discipline and have a lot of extra classes and activities, but that’s part of the problem. They know that English classes are supposed to be fun and active and that the foreigner has little if any authority, so why not go crazy? Plus, they have all of the emotional issues that teens have everywhere due to raging hormones, identity crises, rebelliousness, etc.

Anyway, a lot of teachers are working in primary and secondary schools, both private and public. So, give it a try if you’re interested, and see how you like it.

Quote:
I am constantly struck by how folks who come over for the first time are wondering about a particular granular detail, when that detail is going to be a small concern in real life.

“Granular detail” is a great term to use. There’s a wide range of different types of teaching work available, although mostly kids (“young learners”) and IELTS test prep. More and more schools are opening in smaller cities, so you’re not limited to just Ha Noi and HCMC these days. The cost of living is pretty dang low. Visas aren’t particularly difficult, regulation is lax.

There are numerous negatives in VN (traffic, overcrowding, crime, etc), but overall if you can get settled in and find your comfort zone, it’s makes for an easy lifestyle.

Quote:
In my view, you come over here for a specific reason relating to wanting something here, or wanting to get away from something there. You work if you need income. Pollyanna gave up and went home a while back.

Yeah, again lots of negatives, so a lot of people leave after 6 months or so, although you can always try another country rather than going back home.

The specific reasons for staying are:

1) stable government
2) high demand
3) low cost of living as mentioned above
4) robust economy
5) tropical weather
6) easy visas

Quote:
For folks moving across the world just because they want to teach, there has to be somewhere more professional and serious than VN. I think most of our best guys usually give up and move to the middle east.

Yes, it’s mostly edutainment here, and people often go elsewhere in a hurry. But, at the same time, it fits a lot of people because it doesn’t matter so much about how you look, how old you are, what qualifications you have, or even your nationality. If you’re NOT BORING and have a positive attitude, you’ll be in demand.
Emdii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be looking to teach adults, not kids. I have an MA in TESOL, spent a year in Saudi Arabia paying off, and shan't be going back.

I personally wouldn't classify the teaching experience as a granular detail. For me, it was the worst part of Saudi Arabia. I realize that if I move to HCMC, I may switch schools to find the right fit. I'm just trying to get a general feel for the place, which admittedly can vary widely from person to person.

My husband worked in Hanoi before I met him and HATED it- traffic, commuting to different campuses, pollution, etc. In fact, I've heard very little that is good about Hanoi from the people I've worked with. Would you say HCMC is just as bad?

Edutainment? Shoot me.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment about "granular detail" is like worrying about a particular school, in this example. The chance that a particular school you have never set foot in is going to be important to your life is rather small. A granular detail. Instead, what matters is if the overall "teaching" scene is something that you are really going to want to stick with. I think it is pretty unusual for someone to come here and then leave just because Lawrence Ting or some school did not live up to their expectations. The real reasons people should come and stay, or never come, are much bigger issues. The rude behavior of drivers (which makes it quite dangerous), the terrible pollution (health problems), the nature of the food (not too bad, getting better, but you never really know what you are eating unless you pay western prices), the disappointment from seeing that the culture has been substantially degraded over the last few decades, and is increasingly getting worse. The general nature of the schools, which has been widely discussed on this site. To me, those are the big issues, I might have missed a few, maybe the constant heat in the south. The burning of garbage can be an issue, depends on where you live. Ah yes, the lack of dedicated sidewalks. Service standards.

I do not imply there is nothing good about life here. I have added it up, and for me, the good outweighs the bad. But I would also say that for most folks just arriving, they have to be here the better part of a year before they get smoothed out. Housing, employment, driving, location, the food, all these things usually start off as difficulties and take time to get under control. I would just say again, as before, folks asking about a particular granular detail do not seem to understand that the big picture is what is going to make or break their deal here, not a particular thing like what form of certificate or a specific school, or even a particular city. It is such a mess, you have to accept this kind of messy system and be willing to adapt your life to it, eventually find what works for you, and understand that there are always going to be these problems that cannot be overcome (like the pollution or the rudeness). We cannot change them, we cannot fix their system. So, are the rewards big enough for you to accept all of this?

And, we might as well be honest about it. For a lot of young "teachers", one of the great benefits is cheap booze and tobacco, plus a much more welcoming culture for using those products. And, younger and older alike, there is a reason that most of the "teachers" are male. They have relationship opportunities here that they could only dream of back home. Love it or hate it, this is a very big factor in what is going on over here.

I do not find HN better or worse than HCMC, from the big picture perspective. It surely is different, which makes it interesting. You just have to adapt your life to wherever you end up. I like the change of the seasons up there, to be honest. If living in HN, I prefer to be on the edges, not the center. HCMC is not quite so bad in the center, as you can still get around here. In HN, roads are worse, and there are more cars per capita (correct me if I am wrong guys), anyway, traffic is more hellish in the central areas of HN. HN is more Chinese style, so the rudeness and lying and overcharging is worse there, but you have to accept that kind of thing anyway, it is just a matter of degree. In the north, you build relationships with businesses you like, then you can get a decent price. It takes time.

You move to VN for a reason, you feel you will do better financially here, you want to be here for some real reason (boozing, relationships, evading your ex wife, whatever), then you gradually find the location and job that works out for you. Or, better yet, if you do not need their income, you can really do well. Costs can still be quite low outside of the big cities, and you can have a fine old time at about 1/4th of the cost of a life back home, plus the opportunities that are unobtainable back there.
Emdii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
My comment about "granular detail" is like worrying about a particular school, in this example. The chance that a particular school you have never set foot in is going to be important to your life is rather small. A granular detail. Instead, what matters is if the overall "teaching" scene is something that you are really going to want to stick with. I think it is pretty unusual for someone to come here and then leave just because Lawrence Ting or some school did not live up to their expectations. The real reasons people should come and stay, or never come, are much bigger issues. The rude behavior of drivers (which makes it quite dangerous), the terrible pollution (health problems), the nature of the food (not too bad, getting better, but you never really know what you are eating unless you pay western prices), the disappointment from seeing that the culture has been substantially degraded over the last few decades, and is increasingly getting worse. The general nature of the schools, which has been widely discussed on this site. To me, those are the big issues, I might have missed a few, maybe the constant heat in the south. The burning of garbage can be an issue, depends on where you live. Ah yes, the lack of dedicated sidewalks. Service standards.

Sounds like a bigger version of Phnom Penh. Thanks for the info!
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust the overly negative comments on here. The bottom line is that, yes, most of the EFL industry in Vietnam is geared towards the backpacker types looking to fund their travels around the world, BUT if you are at the top of your field, hold degrees in Language teaching, and are looking for something serious where you can make a difference, then there are options for that as well.

You just have to look and be prepared to climb the ladder. These best jobs don't always go to newbies to the country, but sometimes you can get lucky. Personally speaking, I've had both my worst and best teaching experiences of my life in Vietnam. In my time here, I've managed to build a successful career completely in EFL.

A lot of people don't have my luck or patience, and leave. Most of the people who post on these forums actually don't live in Vietnam any longer.

That said, if you're coming here with a full opinion of yourself or have very strong beliefs on just what education is supposed to look like, you will not last long.
Brunouno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I wouldn't trust the overly negative comments on here. The bottom line is that, yes, most of the EFL industry in Vietnam is geared towards the backpacker types looking to fund their travels around the world, BUT if you are at the top of your field, hold degrees in Language teaching, and are looking for something serious where you can make a difference, then there are options for that as well.

You just have to look and be prepared to climb the ladder. These best jobs don't always go to newbies to the country, but sometimes you can get lucky. Personally speaking, I've had both my worst and best teaching experiences of my life in Vietnam. In my time here, I've managed to build a successful career completely in EFL.

A lot of people don't have my luck or patience, and leave. Most of the people who post on these forums actually don't live in Vietnam any longer.

That said, if you're coming here with a full opinion of yourself or have very strong beliefs on just what education is supposed to look like, you will not last long.

I truly hope the OP can have your luck to gain a successful 'career' earning 25 bucks an hour with little to no benefits.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunouno wrote:
ExpatLuke wrote:

I truly hope the OP can have your luck to gain a successful 'career' earning 25 bucks an hour with little to no benefits.

Expat Luke has a point and so does Bruno:

But it's worth pointing out that the industry in VN has peaked for most long-termers. After a certain amount of years, even if one has an MA EFL, they hit the glass ceiling (if you want to call it that).

RMIT is a recent example: RMIT significantly but salaries for everyone, whether or not one has an MA EFL and stellar feedback with years of experience.

Some people I know with MA's in EFL are actually working at night-time language centers with people who did not even do a 4-week CELTA.

More and more people are arriving in VN to teach, pseudo-teach to fund travelling and to have the 'cutural experience.' The teacher supply is increasing even though people do leave and move on.

If at the $25/hour mark and even to $30, one should make sure they are aware of the consequences if you do this long-term.

I have no regrets of my time in EFL, but for most (not all people) they need to know when to move on. When people hit about 50 it's too late, or they feel it's too late, and some people I know even say this at 40.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunouno wrote:

Your sarcasm and disbelief in my statements is proof that not everyone can make it in Vietnam. You're to the point where you're so "settled" in mid-level EFL work, that you can't even imagine it gets better.

I work on a monthly salary well above the average. Benefits include health insurance, more than a month of paid vacation time, amazing support structures, travel allowances, a flexible schedule outside of my class hours, and more. There is also room for advancement which I'm aiming for in the next few years.

Positions like these are rare, but they do exist for people who have the qualifications (degrees, not certificates), and are willing the put in the time and effort to reach them. A lot of the international schools around the country have EFL programs which pay far superior to English center work, these positions often have multiple tiers you can work up through with the pay and benefits getting better and better. Put in the right amount of time and effort, and you can even take managerial positions which in themselves have more tiers to climb through.

I know several colleagues and friends who are raising families through work like this. The ones who are married to locals have purchased land and have nice houses while driving to work in nice cars. Others prefer to travel on the many cycle breaks international schools have. One of my colleagues just got back from 3 weeks in Dubai, and another from traveling around Europe. Most of them are working on extra degrees or working towards a PHd in their free time as well.

So just remember, just because you and everyone you know is stuck at mid-level positions, that doesn't mean that's all there is. Set your goals and you can probably reach them. If you just have a CELTA, start working on your Masters. But don't expect to go far if you think a 4 week CELTA makes you a teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: