Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KAU ELI Recruitment 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fayapan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: KAU ELI Recruitment 2017 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm writing as me and my wife were offered a job within ELI at King Abdulaziz in August. We both accepted the offers, but they only confirmed my acceptance. We haven't heard from them since then. Is it usual the process takes so long and there is NO CONTACT from their side whatsoever?

Meanwhile we got offers from Colleges of Excellence, do you think it's better to take these jobs or wait god knows how long for any info from KAU?

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with the College of Excellence about when they will start to pay you. I was surprised when I was paid from the start of my contract even though I arrived several months late.. You will not be paid by KAU until after you start working for them.

I would also guess that KAU would want to bring you over for the second semester which starts in late January. The CoE will very likely bring you over quicker than that.

The visa process will probably take quite a long time. Wishing you the best..
fayapan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks currentaffairs!

The thing is I could possibly wait until January if only they answered at least one of my emails. I feel really ignored at the moment... I think it'd be the best to go for PYP this year and try our luck with KAU again in spring 2018...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fayapan wrote:
I'm writing as me and my wife were offered a job within ELI at King Abdulaziz in August. We both accepted the offers, but they only confirmed my acceptance. We haven't heard from them since then. Is it usual the process takes so long and there is NO CONTACT from their side whatsoever?

Meanwhile we got offers from Colleges of Excellence, do you think it's better to take these jobs or wait god knows how long for any info from KAU?
The thing is I could possibly wait until January if only they answered at least one of my emails. I feel really ignored at the moment... I think it'd be the best to go for PYP this year and try our luck with KAU again in spring 2018...

Be aware that Eid Al Adha recently ended; schools and government offices were closed for about two weeks.

If you're interested in the CoE offers, you'll need to let KAU know because they may have already started processing the paperwork for your employment visa authorization if you're expected to join them this semester. You don't want both the CoE and KAU submitting overlapping requests.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: KAU Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it usual the process takes so long and there is NO CONTACT from their side whatsoever?
Yes
Quote:

Yes. Provided you know where you'll be working. Make hay while the sun shines.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it shines a lot here so you can churn out a lot more hay than back home
fayapan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is we sent an email to KAU to ask them about our case as we have been offered other jobs, but still no reply. Is there a risk we won't be issued visas fo CoEs if KAU have already started the visa authorisation?

Thanks for all your comments!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is there a risk ?"

There might be if you post in public fora like this one. Recruiters and HR Departments can read English and have access to the Internet.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fayapan wrote:
The thing is we sent an email to KAU to ask them about our case as we have been offered other jobs, but still no reply. Is there a risk we won't be issued visas fo CoEs if KAU have already started the visa authorisation?

No one here can answer that question. You can decide to stay with KAU and patiently sit tight and wait for the visa process to finish at their end, or take your chances with the CoE.

In terms of the process, HR sends a block visa request to the Ministry of Labor for approval. They then obtain a visa authorization number and an electronic power of attorney authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This entire process can take up to 3 weeks (or longer when it coincides with a holiday). Job candidates are subsequently notified when to get their visa application in order and submitted.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a lengthy process with either institute, but there is one with which it has already started. It's impossible to say who's going to pull their fingers out more quickly, but - as far as I'm aware - easily changing jobs in consecutive years would be next to impossible unless you have the fabled letter of no objection’ or a ‘no objection certificate’ (NOC).

So, if you decide to wait for KAU (or CoE for that matter) you can use the time wisely by reading up on the country, decide the essentials you want to bring (although the shopping here is pretty good, in the bigger cities), and make sure your affairs back home can be easily wrapped up; the process might rapidly come to a positive conclusion.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="In the heat of the moment"]It'll be a lengthy process with either institute, but there is one with which it has already started. It's impossible to say who's going to pull their fingers out more quickly, but - as far as I'm aware - easily changing jobs in consecutive years would be next to impossible unless you have the fabled letter of no objection’ or a ‘no objection certificate’ (NOC).

I have heard that you don't need a no objection certificate anymore to switch jobs.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not required by law any longer, but there are employers that require it. It is Saudi... rules are flexible.

VS
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Foo_Fighters_Dave"]
In the heat of the moment wrote:
It'll be a lengthy process with either institute, but there is one with which it has already started. It's impossible to say who's going to pull their fingers out more quickly, but - as far as I'm aware - easily changing jobs in consecutive years would be next to impossible unless you have the fabled letter of no objection’ or a ‘no objection certificate’ (NOC).

I have heard that you don't need a no objection certificate anymore to switch jobs.

veiledsentiments wrote:
It is not required by law any longer, but there are employers that require it. It is Saudi... rules are flexible.

VS

Yeah, I inserted 'easily' for that.

The thing is, you really need to be in your home country when going through some of the processes for your visa. I'm sure it's possible to successfully apply for a Saudi job when in Saudi, but you'd have to hand your notice in not knowing if the next gig was going to be available. If you get to the summer and the process has gone on too long, you might be stuck applying for what roles are left.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
fayapan wrote:

Be aware that Eid Al Adha recently ended; schools and government offices were closed for about two weeks.

If you're interested in the CoE offers, you'll need to let KAU know because they may have already started processing the paperwork for your employment visa authorization if you're expected to join them this semester. You don't want both the CoE and KAU submitting overlapping requests.

all eid holidays have a very long lingering effect like christmass and new years put together plus a big rebooting of the saudi mind that takes ages to get into gear again. Usually this rebooting process lasts until just before the next eid holiday.

enjoy

Grendal
JK01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Visa Availability??? Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone recently received a work visa from KAU?

Does anyone know if government universities/institutes are currently issuing work visas? Does anyone have any information about the availability of work visas, especially after the recent arrests?

Kind regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: