Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

japanese univerities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: japanese univerities Reply with quote

I have started teaching at a Japanese university and have found that their placement of students is woeful: not one of the classes I teach has a course book fit for their level.
I was observed teaching and I am going to get my feedback 5 weeks later.

Is this sort of pedagogical ineptitude normal in Japan?
I have been teaching for 25 years and they must win the belt buckle for being cowboys!

KeithfromLeith
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: japanese univerities Reply with quote

Quote:
I have started teaching at a Japanese university and have found that their placement of students is woeful: not one of the classes I teach has a course book fit for their level.

I only ever taught part-time at Japanese universities, and no longer live in Japan, but I was always allowed to choose the textbooks for all of my classes.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this to not be the case most of the time.
I do work in a national university now and students are put in classes by their last name. My students all have a name that starts with a vowel.
There is a range of students, and maybe it is better that I don't have an assigned textbook. When I did so many students "forgot" to bring it.

It shows that the university is not serious about English. It is just required.
On average the TOEFL score is about 460 on the old TOEFL.
Shakey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I have found this to not be the case most of the time.
I do work in a national university now and students are put in classes by their last name. My students all have a name that starts with a vowel.
There is a range of students, and maybe it is better that I don't have an assigned textbook. When I did so many students "forgot" to bring it.

It shows that the university is not serious about English. It is just required.
On average the TOEFL score is about 460 on the old TOEFL.

You tenured? Usually full time teachers get to choose their own textbooks. I know teachers who do not use textbooks. Part-timers have to use an assigned textbook.

I have never heard of a university doing teaching observations.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Not true. Some schools assign textbooks and others let teachers choose their own, or let teachers use none.

I don't have tenure.
Some schools have observations while others do not.
Shakey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
What? Not true. Some schools assign textbooks and others let teachers choose their own, or let teachers use none. I don't have tenure.
Some schools have observations while others do not.

I see. I've always been able to choose my own textbooks at universities for my semon classes and for some classes I don't even use a textbook. But for any university wide compulsory English courses, like Sogo Eigo, I've used the textbook assigned by the committee in charge of those core classes. I've never had observations of my lessons at a any of the universities where I've worked.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think national universities give teachers more freedom.
I think for elective classes, teachers get a choice.
It really depends on the university and who is in charge.

Some universities use commercial textbooks for required classes and change them if enough teachers want there to be a change.

I have worked for three national universities, three private ones, and one public.
Shakey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I think national universities give teachers more freedom.I have worked for three national universities, three private ones, and one public.

I agree. One must be very careful with private universities. They can be horrific places in which to work. National universities are required to follow strict policies and guidelines, whereas private schools have greater freedom to do what they like.

Did you receive the winter bonus as a contract instructor?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think private universities are generally really good. You get paid all year round rather than per class and the students are often better. Dokkyo is a prime example of a good, private institution.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get a bonus.
Have not heard good things about Dokkyo but do not know why.
Turnover seems high there.

Better? Surely you jest. You could make more money and have smaller classes.
I have had to teach 30-37 at national universities.

Some private universities have an inferiority complex and what teachers to follow a certain way. At a national university, you get treated better, and what matters is a good resume.
Shakey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I used to get a bonus.

I see. I just got mine and was wondering if contract instructors received the bonus also.

mitsui wrote:
Better? Surely you jest. You could make more money and have smaller classes. I have had to teach 30-37 at national universities. Some private universities have an inferiority complex and what teachers to follow a certain way. At a national university, you get treated better, and what matters is a good resume.

currentaffairs wrote:
I think private universities are generally really good. You get paid all year round rather than per class and the students are often better. Dokkyo is a prime example of a good, private institution.

The reality of Japanese private universities is that they can be much worse than Japanese public (national, prefecture or city) universities. Japanese private universities can even be worse than eikaiwa schools. A lot of private universities are run by families who treat the staff as their surfs and the schools as their own fiefdoms. Overall, private universities are a mixed bag.

On the other hand, national universities tend to follow a more egalitarian pattern of management and adhere to rules and policies which are set out and enforced by the Ministry of Education. At national universities, governance is almost completely bottom-up, and department heads have no real power to make anyone do anything. Department heads rotate after serving only a 1 - 2 year term. Faculty elect the department heads, so it is uncommon for anyone to become a dictator or order anybody to do anything. All hiring of new teachers, changes to the curriculum, and even how to spend money, are decided through consensus - e.g., voting at kyojukai meetings. However, private universities can just appoint some retired banker with a B.A. degree who is a friend of the family who own the university, or a media personality to the head of a department and leave him there indefinitely.

Moreover, the Students are often worse in private universities. Some of them are even mentally challenged, and the universities are used by working parents as a day care for their mentally impaired 20 year old kids. However, salaries and annual research budgets are often more lucrative at private schools than public universities.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was tokunin, I got a bonus three times a year. The March one was for any increase in enrollment, and it never was as big as the other ones.
Got severance pay after five years. I don't think that is common.

Part-time sucks now since hours can get cut. Mine has for next year. Instead of three days a week I will be down to twice a week in the spring and just once a week in the fall.
Shakey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
When I was tokunin, I got a bonus three times a year. The March one was for any increase in enrollment, and it never was as big as the other ones.

Got severance pay after five years. I don't think that is common.

Part-time sucks now since hours can get cut. Mine has for next year. Instead of three days a week I will be down to twice a week in the spring and just once a week in the fall.

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought that you were full time. Right, I've never heard of severance pay here, just in Korea. Three bonuses must have been nice. I get the June summer bonus and the December bonus.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit worried about these posts since i accepted a contract to work at a university through Westgate corporation - I didn't even know there were private Universities. contract begins end April 18
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I found that the real high fliers were at private universities. Some of the students at Dokkyo were really good. At two other private universities I also found that there were students who had lived in the US/UK before and were better than average.

I also worked at a large public university where class sizes were sometimes astronomical - up to 50 students for the TOEIC classes, and 80 students were registered on some of my elective courses. The students were streamed by major for the TOEIC classes, and the engineers were averaging around 250 on the TOEIC test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: