Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudi Arabia suspends diplomatic ties with Canada
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Saudi Arabia suspends diplomatic ties with Canada Reply with quote

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-05/saudi-arabia-suspends-diplomatic-trade-ties-with-canada

Although it looks trivial, apparently some deans are cancelling the contracts of all Canadian teachers. I don't know if this is country-wide as it's recent news (I read about the cancelled contracts before knowing of the diplomatic spat). Anyone hear anything to confirm this?
ayatollah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Students forced to flee Canada Reply with quote

https://www.businessinsider.de/saudi-arabia-canada-human-rights-students-2018-8?r=US&IR=T
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the Canadian Consulate in Riyadh and as of today, they haven't heard anything like what the OP stated. However, does anyone think that Saudi would kick out Canadian expats who own a legal working visa and an igama?
hash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
However, does anyone think that Saudi would kick out Canadian expats who own a legal working visa and an igama?

Well, they kicked out the Canadian ambassador, didn't they - I'm sure he had the highest possible "working visa"/Iqama (or diplomatic equivalent) and look what happened to him.

Next to such a luminary, an ESL teacher is............well, I'll let you finish that sentence. Plus, using the term "legal" in the context of the Middle East in general is..........well, I'll let you finish that sentence too.

voyagerksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are they going to kick out the Saudi Cultural Mission? Their presence is an abomination. It's abnormal and goes contrary to everything that is intelligent and reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
However, does anyone think that Saudi would kick out Canadian expats who own a legal working visa and an igama?

Well, they kicked out the Canadian ambassador, didn't they - I'm sure he had the highest possible "working visa"/Iqama (or diplomatic equivalent) and look what happened to him.

Next to such a luminary, an ESL teacher is............well, I'll let you finish that sentence. Plus, using the term "legal" in the context of the Middle East in general is..........well, I'll let you finish that sentence too.

An ESL teacher is insignificant in global politics.

"Legal" in Saudi is so flexible, it's fluid.
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are being told they're out. KSU is shedding Canadian teachers.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Canadian teachers status Reply with quote

I wonder if Canadian teachers leaving for the coming holiday with exit/re-entry visas will have difficulties leaving-or returning to-the Kingdom?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizzydizzy wrote:
Some are being told they're out. KSU is shedding Canadian teachers.

Holy Sh##. I didn't want to believe it was common in the Kingdom.
hash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much searching and researching, including personal contacts with the several Canadian teachers I know working in the Kingdom, plus including a review of the Saudi Arabic press, I would like to report that as of this date, there isn't a shred of evidence.....not even a trace......to support the contention that Canadian ESL teachers are losing their jobs in KSA on account of their nationality. It simply isn't true.

I urge all readers to treat statements affirming the firing of Canadian teachers with the utmost skepticism until verifiable and official documentation is forthcoming.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh watch out lads/lasses, the forum police are on to us!
hash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-05/saudi-arabia-suspends-diplomatic-trade-ties-with-canada

Although it looks trivial, apparently some deans are cancelling the contracts of all Canadian teachers. I don't know if this is country-wide as it's recent news (I read about the cancelled contracts before knowing of the diplomatic spat).

Really? Can you let us know exactly where you "read" about the cancelled contracts? (I'm amazed I didn't find the quote...I really did search thoroughly).

AbeCross

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Canadian teachers status Reply with quote

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201808161067251080-canadian-scholar-blame-government/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
In the heat of the moment wrote:

Although it looks trivial, apparently some deans are cancelling the contracts of all Canadian teachers. I don't know if this is country-wide as it's recent news (I read about the cancelled contracts before knowing of the diplomatic spat).

Really? Can you let us know exactly where you "read" about the cancelled contracts? (I'm amazed I didn't find the quote...I really did search thoroughly).

Sure, it was on Reddit. I subscribe to the TEFL sub, a Canadian guy was going out of his mind because he and his wife were due to come here in three weeks.

And your scare quotes surrounding 'read' are a bit condescending, if you don't mind me saying. If you knew Saudi as well as you make out, you'd understand that not every decision made by a dean is published online.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Dean's decisions Reply with quote

Quote:
If you knew Saudi as well as you make out, you'd understand that not every decision made by a dean is published online.
A Dean's "decision" usually comes from the powers-that-be. He/She just signed off on it. Anybody can put it in the public domain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: