Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been offered a job - now what happens?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ls650

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: I've been offered a job - now what happens? Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've seen an answer to this particular question in any of the forums, so here goes:

I was interviewed by an Indonesian school a couple of days. The interview went well, and yesterday I received a job offer by email. The email included a copy of the contract I'll be asked to sign. I read through the contract and it looked very similar to other sample contracts I've seen, with no surprises for me.

I've checked out this school on various web sites and it seems to have a pretty good reputation. I emailed back to say I accept the offer and I'm willing to start employment in about one month.

OK - now what happens? Do they courier me a signed contract and I complete it here? Or should I expect a formal letter of offer? Any other comments?

This will be my first TEFL job overseas, and I'm not sure how the paperwork generally works at this point.
Wolf

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email your school and ask them the same questions.

From what I see on the 'net, Indonesia often requires a BA plus a certificate, so I assume you have these (or one or the other.) Have these (and electronically scanned copies, plus one of your passport) handy, as lots of employers ask for them.

But like I said ask them. Ask them what information they need to get you a visa (DON'T WORK WITHOUT A VISA IT'S NOT SUCH A GOOD IDEA), or everything that they need. Ask about when you should go, when the contract gets signed (could be after you arrive), exact start date, and anything else that's bugging you.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. If they really are a good school (and you're not the first foreinger they have ever eployed ever) then they shouldn't mind answering.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wolf"]Email your school and ask them the same questions[/quote]

Oh, I have, but while I wait for a response I'm curious to know how this stage of the hiring game usually works...

Can anyone tell me what is the norm? Question
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Norm. Who is he ? Reply with quote

There is no norm. It varies within one country and from country to country.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: what next? Reply with quote

Dear ls650:

Scot47 is right. Processing of contracts and paperwork varies from country to country and school to school.

Generally speaking, the next step will involve getting you a proper visa. I have no experience in Indonesia, but basically you should be ready to provide the following 2 items to your new employer:

1. a scanned copy of your passport (the main page with your photo on it) You can also make a photo-copy and send it by regular mail if necessary.

2. several passport-sized photographs (maybe 6 or more?)

It might also be a good idea for you to find out where the nearest Indonesian consulate or embassy is located, since you may be required to go there in-person to apply for your visa.

Other than that, just relax and wait for your employer's specific instructions. They've done this before and they will not leave you hanging.

Good luck Exclamation
keNt
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: What next? Reply with quote

You have to start planning on leaving - how to send money to your bank back home, how to pay bills, how to get rid of your rented apartment (if you have one). If there's a delay and you've left your apartment (as I had done) and your visa isn't ready on time, or there's a problem with your plane reservation (DO NOT PAY IT YOURSELF.... reimbursement isn't guaranteed) .... you're in trouble. You need friends to help you out.

One friend who went to Korea kept her car and made payments on it, storing it in the USA. Keeping a car back home isn't a very wise idea, financially. IMHO.

Make sure you have your finances in place before you leave. And no, it isn't wise to ask a relative or friend to handle your money. I've heard a few horror stories of relatives and friends pocketing the money sent to them to pay the bills and put in the bank. Fortuantely, when I started my career in '84, my sister was trustworthy. But I don't like to burden people with stuff like that. I hear on-line banking works.

Once in Indonesia, you may want to buy some sulfa pills over the counter. I had to carry them with me because I got sick a lot from the food, although it's delicious. Try gado gado. You will enjoy trying durian. THAT is an experience. Plus it was fun to vacation in Bali.

Be prepared to have roommates in Indonesia. If you haven't lived with roommates for a while, you'll have lots of adjustments. Just don't make assumptions about people. Have a meeting and make house rules.

For me, the worst thing about living overseas was having roommates. They can, do and will probably cause you the most problems.

Good luck! And bring only natural fibers for clothing - silk and cotton. The humidity in most of Indonesia is high nearly EVERY day. And comfortable shoes. Although many people will wear sandles, some schools require their teachers to wear shoes.

Beware, corruption is part of the culture. It was when I was there back in '87 and I don't think things have changed much. Bribery is how things are done, and it effects all layers of the culture. Just a warning.....
M.K.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seem like some really solid tips, MindTraveller. I'm preparing to leave in August for Costa Rica and there are so many decisions to be made! I'm interested in why you don't think it's a good idea to leave a car behind? I'm trying to figure out whether to leave my car with my parents, or sell it and put the funds in my account as my "plan B". Does anyone have input on this type of thing? When embarking indefinitely for another country, what should you store and what should you sell (in general)?
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your parents are in desperate need of a car, sell it. It will be a pain for them to take care of it for you, and it will decrease in value while you are away.

Sell most furniture- unless it's of heirloom quality, storeage is just not worth it. When we are abroad, my husband leaves his pet stereo system with his parents (he really loves those speakers!) and they use it while we are away. If they didn't want to keep it for us, I would force hm to sell that too. I have stored some of my kitchen appliances and a couple of furniture items that belonged to my grandmother in the garage of my house, but if I didn't have this free storeage, you can bet I'd be reconsidering.
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your parents are in desperate need of a car, sell it. It will be a pain for them to take care of it for you, and it will decrease in value while you are away. (You can't just park a car for an indefinite amount of time. It has to be started and driven now and again. Also, if the car stays sealed, mold and mildew can start growing in the uppholstery). The spare cash will not decrease in value while you are away(unless it's yen or American dollars lately Wink ), and you can use it to get a newer car if you so choose.

Sell most furniture- unless it's of heirloom quality, storeage is just not worth it. When we are abroad, my husband leaves his pet stereo system with his parents (he really loves those speakers!) and they use it while we are away. If they didn't want to keep it for us, I would force hm to sell that too. I have stored some of my kitchen appliances and a couple of furniture items that belonged to my grandmother in the garage of my house, but if I didn't have this free storeage, you can bet I'd be reconsidering.
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: selling a car Reply with quote

Why sell your car? You most likely will get the travel bug once you've been out of the States for more than a year. You'll want to go somewhere else. Having a car at home, with it decreasing in value, and having to be kept up in working order, is a headache.

Really. The majority of people who do go abroad find it difficult to adjust once back home. I find the USA boring and tedious after 6 months. Why hamper your feedom with such an expense as a car?

For storage, rather than rely on friends or family - who move or have kids that look into stored goods - I'm more comfortable paying storage of $30 a month than keeping it with someone I know. My stuff has been in storage now for 7 years. So what! I feel safer with it there than with a friend or family member.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: vows Reply with quote

Sell the car and discard all your possesions. You will then be in readiness to take the necessary vows to be an EFL novice. The main vow is one of Poverty since no one in EFL anywhere makes enough money.

At this stage no other vows are necessary but once you have entered the novitiate further secrets of the Grand Order may be revealed to you by adepts of the Craft. You will then be rquired to make further undertakings of a confidential nature.
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again, sound advice from you sages of TEFL. Many thanks! Very Happy

I do plan on selling most of my furniture. Thankfully my kind and gracious parents have a large basement where I can store other personal items. It's going to be hard to part with my car though. It was my first big, adult-like purchase after college so it holds sentimental value. But I guess sentimental value doesn't pay the bills if I find myself job hunting for awhile.

Funny how the "vow of poverty" and "further undertakings of a confidential nature" were never mentioned in the book Teaching English Abroad that inspired me to do this in the first place Wink Good thing there's Dave's and scot47 to put me in the proper frame of mind...
R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.K.,

love your signature!

Rob.
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob,
Love your shoes! Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Quite a feet Reply with quote

Dear Rob,
I'd say M.K.'s going to do just fine in EFL, wouldn't you agree? He sounds like he's got the necessary prime qualification - i.e. he's bonkers. By the way, could you put slippers or something on - your socks are just a bit ripe? How fortunate for M.K. that you both have the same shoe size.
Regards,
John
P.S. And I don't want to have to tell you again - stop wearing those black socks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: