Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Qatar next month....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Moving to Qatar next month.... Reply with quote

...and am looking forward to it! Smile

Have one or two Qs please...and would love to get some feedback:

Are most apartments in Doha, furnished??
Does Doha have lots to offer?? People call it the dullest gulf country but with all this investement etc- it seems that it has a lot to offer!Surely?!

Last edited by QatarChic on Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard from friends who have worked/lived or visited there, dull is the most commonly used word. The population is pretty small.

I'll leave it to others to talk about current rental rates.

Unless Qatar is much different from all the rest of the gulf, I would say that the flats will be unfurnished. The real question is how unfurnished... will they have AC? appliances?

VS
dmb

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I have heard from friends who have worked/lived or visited there, dull is the most commonly used word

It is indeed. But life is what you make it. If you want to have a good time in Doha then you can. If you are not a shrinking violet then life is not boring. I know I have said negative things before about living in Qatar but it is not as not as dull as people say.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... dmb... did you say that just so you could disagree with me? Cool (now, which of us is the shrinking violet? Wink)

I was hoping you would drop by and have an idea of what rental rates are for her.

VS
(I just noticed that you lost your avatar too... I miss him...)
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS for your comments Smile yes- I have heard that most flats are unfurnished in the Gulf- but the ones I stayed in- Muscat/Dubai were furnished! (or maybe they come at an extra price-AS MY COMPANY PAID FOR IT Confused ) BUT I just wanted to have a rough idea-I want to make sure that they have at least an AC!

DMb- I noticed that u lived/live in Qatar, know any good online newspapers,whee I can get moe info?? cheers
blues clues

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: housig in Qatar Reply with quote

3500 mth, yes, can get you a nice place in Doha. I lived there for a few years and left a few months ago, so I think I have enough knowledge about the costs......it's true that prices have sky-rocket in Qatar in the last couple of years. The gov't, as well as real estate owners (Sheikhs) blame the high cost on the upcoming Asian games.... Rolling Eyes Hotels have become very expensive, as has most everthing else in Doha. Having said that, it is possible to find a nice place, possibly furnished. I'd suggest museum flats (that's what expat's call them, as they are close to the only museum) and around Nasser St. area. It's much easier if you already know someone who lives there, preferably Arab, so they can negotiate, and also show the better places...good luck...sorry if it makes no sense, am very tired...good night.
oh, as far as Doha being boring....Oh yeah! It is! Damned boring...even the locals complain about how boring it is....but, you can get a membership to a hotel, swimming, gym, etc.....can be expensive though...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatarchic

Did you try googling for a newspaper?

Of course there are furnished flats around, but they are normally waaaaay out of the price range for teachers. Shocked They are almost always rented by companies for 'executives.'

Hopefully Qatar will be like the Emirates where most all buildings have central air - not Muscat where you almost always have to go out and buy those noisy wall units.

Blues or DMB - do you know the answer to that one?

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blues clues- just what I wanted to hear! Very Happy Well it's good that it will be verging on semi-dull: because I have my MA to work on (I was offered a job in Bahrain- but that would have entailed far too many distractions for myself!) I am still looking forward to Qatar- only because I have feeling that it will change dramatically over the next 1-3 years, it also has lot of potential I think....

VS Yup checked out the online newspapers- I just wanted a rough idea.I am lucky in that my company (a reputable language school) will be helping me out when I come-thanks for all u useful input:) I will keep the board up to date with my adventures when I get there! Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatarchic,

I think Qatar is the perfect place to do an MA without distractions. Cool I do hope that you are not counting on dramatic changes in the near future. With its small population and lack of interesting geography, I suspect that it will always be the top of the boredom list in the Gulf. (not necessarily a bad thing either). But then, so would Bahrain in my books - right up there in 2nd place. Though it does import some 'excitement' each weekend over the bridge.

Do keep us up to date on how it all goes. Get that MA finished and you can escape those language schools.

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Thats what people tell me VS- Regarding the MA- no distractions in Qatar of any kind! I would be happy just chilling out next to a pool in a hotel and go camping in the desert Very Happy Bahrian and The UAE/OMAN are all close by and ave may friends there- so if the going gets tough- there's a weekend getaway waiting for me! Cool
dmb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of interesting roundabouts in Doha. Sorry I can't help about rent prices, accomodation was always supplied( in the afore mentioned museum flats at one point)
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: qatarchic Reply with quote

I lived in Qatar for nearly three years so here's my ten bob's worth.If you want to look for a flat just pick up 'The Gulf Times' as there is always a real estate section in it.You could also try the notice boards in the shopping malls.Basically 3,500QR will get you comfortable furnished small flat but not on a compound unless you're very lucky.The good thing is that electronic goods are cheap as are the laundrettes so life need not be that expensive.Unlike some on this board, I don't think that Qatar is dull at all.There's a rugby club and numerous other socials to get involved in from diving to the Doha Players,(recently bombed).As a woman you'll get a bit of attention I'm sure but as you've lived in the M.E. I'm sure you've got the skills to deal with that.I joined the Sheraton Beach Club as it had an excellent gym and manmade beach but the Oasis is cheaper and you'll find more ex-pats there.The people who moan about Doha are generally the tight-@sses who sat in their rooms and refused to pay the bar prices and then wondered why they had no friends.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, thinking of going back Biff?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bif and dmb,

Are there many 'compounds' in Qatar? I think of that as a Saudi thing.

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dmb/biff for the useful info! I don't really want to live on a compound as prefer to have the freedom of being in the city and mixing with people- not JUST expats (well not all the time that is). But it's good to know there are things to do- I am very independent and have lived abroad before both in and out of the ME so no poblemos there.... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: