Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else going to Chile this summer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tio-Oso

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Anyone else going to Chile this summer? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I will be in Santiago in August, and will be there for a undetermined amount of time. I was just wondering if anyone else will be there this year, and if so if you may be interested in keeping in touch for the purpose of job networking. I have alot of friends in Santiago, and am sure they would love anyone I introduced them to. For one thing, I am getting married to a girl from Santiago next March. I guess you could say that my last trip really won me over.
denise

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in Chile in about a week. My job situation is set, but I would like to do some networking just for social purposes. I just spent two years in Japan without ever meeting any other ESL Cafe forum members!

Anyone care to meet for a drink and help a newcomer (to Chile, not to teaching) get settled?

Tio-Oso--I hope I haven't just hijacked your thread! I was going to post something similar...

d
Tio-Oso

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Nahhh -

My thread hasn't been hijaked...lol. Great minds think alike. Where are you teaching? I would love to get a drink sometime. I have to tell you. however, if you are a coffe fan you have to order a "cafe-cafe"- as simply saying cafe once will get you Nescafe instant stuff. Sadly, I did get used to it, but it remains an abomination of coffe.

Also, d, I would love to introduce you to some people if u r game.
dmacdougall

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Arriving in August as well. Reply with quote

Hey folks:

I will be flying from St. John's Nfld to Santiago the first week in August as well. It will be my first time in Latin America and my first time teaching English. I am really looking forward to it, and thanks to all the posts here I am sure that my learning curve will not be so sharp.

D.
Tio-Oso

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Hey D Reply with quote

D.

I had my first time in Chile last summer and well, I am going back! The people there are awesome and you will love it I'm sure. I am flying the night of August 9th out of Miami. Is your flight direct from Canada? Do you have any solid job leads yet? Everyone tells me to be leary of Sam's...fyi
dmacdougall

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tio-Oso:

No my August 4th flight has a long stop over in Toronto, which kind of sucks. But when I was booking my flight it was the only one that didn't land in Santiago at 1 am. And besides that I am sure I will need some healing after being in St. John's during the George St. Festival in Nfld.

Don't have any solid job leads yet, I have a few plans, but I am playing it all by ear. I just finished working a crappy job and don't want to see myself in that situation again.

Basically, I am game for anything. Thanks for offering to introduce me to some people.

D.
denise

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

Tio-Oso wrote:
Nahhh -

My thread hasn't been hijaked...lol. Great minds think alike. Where are you teaching? I would love to get a drink sometime. I have to tell you. however, if you are a coffe fan you have to order a "cafe-cafe"- as simply saying cafe once will get you Nescafe instant stuff. Sadly, I did get used to it, but it remains an abomination of coffe.

Also, d, I would love to introduce you to some people if u r game.

I�m at Curtis Language Consulting. They�re a bit short-staffed right now, actually...

PM me when you get here if you�d like a coffee. I�m much more of a tea drinker, though.

d
lauren3821

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: moving in August Reply with quote

Hi Tio-Oso, denise, and dmacdougall,

I'm a first time poster but I'm planning on arriving in August and would love to have contacts--its my first time to Chile. Smile

I'm a bit nervous about arriving in August (my original plan was wait until Feb/March--but i'm getting ansy, and don't really want to wait that long). If the hiring season winds down November through February does that mean I may find myself having to leave earlier than I hope to, or does coming in August help set up opportunities for the dead season?

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to you guys
denise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Lauren! I've only been here a few weeks and am still learning my way around, but by August I should be a bit more settled in. I'll help in any way I that I can.

d
koshechka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

not to butt in, but you seem like a nice crowd, and i am coming over on the 2nd of september and will be in sore need of acquaintances as well. will i have problems coming over with a one-way ticket? i hope not, since it's the type that i have, i am planning to stay in santiago indefinitely. right now i am teaching in a university here, in puebla, mexico but i am ready for a change. i don't have any jobs lined up since most people to whom i have written haven't answered or told me to come by when i get to santiago, so i'll just improvise, i guess. i am a bit worried about all the legal aspects since it seems like chile is a hard place to get a visa but hopefully, all will go down well. ok, so, if you have any suggestions or anything else, i will be dropping in once in a while if you don't mind.
p.s. someone told me about getting my diploma notorized, does any one know how important that is? i have a normal, diploma from a certified (rutgers university) school so i hope i will be ok since getting it notorized will be a pain in the arse. well,
ciao
p.p.s. any questions about puebla?
lauren3821

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Denise!

As it gets closer to my departure I'm sure I'll have some questions

And koshechka--I spent a summer in Puebla a few years back and loved it!
denise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came over here on a return ticket and basically everyone asked why. Nobody at customs checked. Maybe there's a small chance that you'll get someone in a bad mood at the airport, though.

Send me a PM when you get here. I'll be happy to show you around.

d
lauren3821

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would you recommend just buying a one way ticket and taking the chance?

Would being forced to buy an onward ticket to somewhere else be the worst thing that could happen? And if so, does anyone know how much a ticket from Santiago to Mendoza normally runs?
eva646

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

A trip to Mendoza runs at about 8,000 pesos one way, which is about US$13 Its a pretty crazy ride by bus through the pass, make sure you check to see if its open before you haul your stuff to the bus station during winter time, as the elevation is pretty high and it closes. But i went a few weeks ago and had no problems, and its beautiful as far as scenery. I also came in on a one way and had no problems, that seems to be the general experience. Ive been teaching at ENglish First and know they need people, theyre a good institute, pay well, and ive had a good time there. Santiago is cool but definetly polluted! Best of luck!
Weona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plane ticket from Mendoza usually runs about US $100, maybe a little more. I haven't heard of anybody who got stopped at an airport for only having a one-way ticket to Santiago (though it has happened, just not to anybody I know) so I think you should be ok. I would take the chance, but that's just me. Wink Good luck to all the newcomers who are making their way to this fine country!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: