Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall Street Institute
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwinagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Wall Street Institute Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about Wall Street Institute? I heard they were in serious decline. Any comments?
crashartist1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: wall street Reply with quote

Who are you? You have made the same claim on at least 3 different websites regarding WSI. There are not ın decline, not in any country. The are expanding ın Germany, France, Italy, Spain, China, Tawain and Turkey. They are one of the only true International schools that aree surviving and continuing to grow while keeping to the same teaching standards and practices that have made them a reputable company. Which apparently you know nothing about.
Sadie25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know of a couple of Wall Street Institute schools in Germany that have gone *beep* up recently.
MARIA DOLORES

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: WALL STREET INSTITUTE Reply with quote

THE ONE IN OVIEDO, SPAIN, WHERE I LIVE, CLOSED DOWN TWO YEARS AGO.
butterbrot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising if they are closing around the world. They have the same formula type teaching method as all the other franchise language schools. The only difference is that their name misleads. Wall Street Institute just conjures up all sorts of tantalising business English courses, doesn't it?
crashartist1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall Street International was bought out buy by the Carlyle Group last year. If you know anything about the Carlyle group then your opinion about the Wall Street should definitely become positive. Since this time they have grown exponentially. They are currently opening 4 new centers in Germany, 2 new centers in Turkey, 7 new centers in China, 2 in Japan and 22 through the Middle East. Hmm, does sound like serious decline to anyone? Any comments Edwinagirl? Also Butterbrot, you should take a sample of their business courses and then you can tell me if you have found a more extensive business English program then that. There are four different programs to follow within the Business program; marketing and advertising, finance and banking, management and international business and the normal general business program. There is a reason why Wall Street is the world�s largest and furthest reaching language franchise. People should put little stock into what you say considering that you have posted the same claim on every European forum, I am sorry if we didn�t hire you, but we do have standards to maintain.
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Website? Reply with quote

crashartist1,
Can you please provide the company's website so I can look it over? Thanks.
butterbrot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: what? Reply with quote

Quote:
People should put little stock into what you say considering that you have posted the same claim on every European forum, I am sorry if we didn�t hire you, but we do have standards to maintain.

You seem to be saying that you are in a position of hiring teachers at the Carlyle Group which is now, according to you, the owner of the Wall Street Institute language schools. As recently as July 2005 you were teaching at a Turkish university, according to one of your posts. Did you leave that job and move to a position of authority within the Carlyle Group?

Where are you working exactly? Rather than demanding to know who edwinagirl is and referencing her supposed '3 different claims' one might wonder who you are and what your purpose is here.

As recently as February 2005 you posted in the Germany forum that you were looking for a job in Germany and mentioned you had a string of degrees and huge amounts of experience plus that all-important CELTA. Later, you posted somewhere that you had a TEFL cert. Which was it again?

In February 2005 you posted this: "...I am the manager of a brand new language school in Turkey and ..."

Again in February 2005 you posted this: "...Apply to the Wall Street. ....a friend of mine just got a job with them, it is a pretty relaxed atmosphere and it is primarily evenings only with the normal 1 day weekend."
You also mentioned on the Mongolia forum, again Feb 2005, that you wanted to work there too.

In late June of 2005 you posted on the Italian forum that you were getting married to an Italian woman and moving to Italy, where there was a school which was hoping to hire you.

Quote:
crashartist1 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:40 pm Post subject: Marrying an Italian Woman and getting a working VISA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all. I am getting married to my girlfriend this summer, who is Italian. She is a full citizen, no dual citizenship or anything, born and bred in Italy whole family there. We will live in Italy; I have a school that wants to hire me. So how much faster, if any faster, is the VISA paperwork if you have an Italian wife and a company wants to hire you?
Thank you all. Crash

In early July 2005 you posted on the Turkish forum that you were already married to a Turkish woman and working at a university, a job so wonderful that this is how you described it:

Quote:
crashartist1 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:14 am
I am in a wonderful small city, teaching at a beautiful University and have a more beautiful Turkish wife. My job is great and I am successful at my work. I work with Professors in my University helping them to prepare research papers to present at conferences, I get to go to places like Thailand, Greece, Germany, North Carolina to assist in the presentation process, all paid for by the University. I help researchers share their research with other Universities around the globe and help them to better understand research from around the world. I help young people increase their chance of landing a job by giving them an extra qualification to separate themselves from others. I teach speaking classes in the University to future English Teachers that will educate the young masses of this country. I get paid very well, I am respected in my community, I have free housing on the campus and I get to travel the world. I am not part of any worldwide TEFLer fantasy, perhaps you are but if you came to Eskisehir, you will see a great place to teach, to live and to work.

Another of your posts seems to imply that you might also be working at a place called Kent English in a small Turkish town.

If one reads through all of your posts then it becomes clear that you seem to be everywhere, know everything, have experienced more than everyone else and, aren't clear on where you're going or who you're married to. Why should we listen to your views on Wall Street?

Additionally, would this be the Carlyle Group which is a private investment banking firm? If not, would you be so kind as to provide further information regarding the Carlyle Group to which you refer?

Oh, why did I bother to research your posts? A nagging feeling that something didn't seem quite right and wondering why you were so hot for WSI all of a sudden.
halroach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are not ın decline, not in any country. The are expanding ın Germany, France, Italy, Spain, China, Tawain and Turkey. They are one of the only true International schools that aree surviving and continuing to grow while keeping to the same teaching standards and practices that have made them a reputable company. Which apparently you know nothing about.

Crashartist. You couldn't be more wrong. It seems you're the one making ridiculous claims without the slightest evidence - as if you had insider information about Wall Street. Here's the proof (from the EL Gazette http://www.elgazette.com/ElNews/NewsStory.asp?StoryID=776:

Wall Street�s crash in Spain
By Melanie Butler,26/09/2005
THE MASTER franchisee of Spanish-based Wall Street Institutes (WSI), the multimedia language teaching giant, is to close its eighteen centres, leaving 100 staff out of work and 2,000 students without courses. The company is to offer internet-based courses to the stranded students. The latest closures leave only seventeen independently owned centres operating in a country that boasted nearly 150 WSI schools in 2002.

Spanish consumer action group Facua has alleged in the press that the Wall Street Institutes had continued trying to recruit students in spite of the announcement of the closures. Nobody at the company�s central telephone number seemed to know about the closures, Facua alleged to Spanish newspaper Cinco Dias. There was no answer on the central number when the Gazette phoned shortly before going to press. The website for WSI Spain, which still listed 41 centres, made no mention of the closures.
UGT, the union representing Wall Street staff, blames the collapse on the methodology used by the multimedia schools. �It�s a bad system for teaching languages,� a spokesperson told the Spanish press.

The union sees the decision by IEP, the master franchisee for Spain, to close its wholly owned centres as just the latest in a wave of closures in Spain�s multimedia market in the last three years. In 2002 WSI competitor chains Opening and Brighton were forced into liquidation.
In the same year Sylvan, then owners of the WSI International franchise, finding themselves in trouble in Spain, sold the master franchise for the country to IEP, headed by Wall Street founder Luigi Peccini. The Gazette has been unable to substantiate industry rumours that Mr Peccini is also involved in Wall Street�s operations in China.
WSI International has now been sold to the Carlyle Group (See June Gazette). Allegedly it was Carlyle�s decision to cut off financial support to IEP that led to the recent spate of closures, according to a report on Lukor.com.
WSI International in the US stated that the seventeen remaining centres in Spain would �continue to offer their services as normal� since �they are not affected by the operating difficulties at IEP�, although the statement emphasised that the final decision was up to the management in each centre.

The company assured the Spanish press that in other countries Wall Street Institutes will continue to operate normally.

The Gazette has had no reports of current problems in Wall Street operations outside Spain, although fourteen centres in Brazil were forced to close last year
carriela

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: WSI Reply with quote

I work for WSI in Mexico and yes they are declining here. The Mexico WSI is a franchise albeit but they are lending poorly to International WSI a bad reputation because of the chaos and lack of pay that I have seen since my arrival in October.
hexadec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but...no but...yeah but carriela....it IS three and a half years later! Very Happy

They seem to be OK in Germany at the moment but we'll see.
carriela

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: indeed Reply with quote

needless to say I made my comments prior to noticing the dates or reading all the posts! is there any input on the status/viability of other current int'l. WSI centers?
mouse5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: INTRODUCING THE WALLSTREET RIPOFF Reply with quote

WS rip off their customers and their staff. There is nothing unique about their methods. The name WS is just window dressing. Take a look at their schools facades. You'd think you were entering a stock exchange!! They have insurance salesmen selling courses using the "cold call" approach. The school managers, who haven't got a clue about language learning take on unemployable grade-school teachers and students to sit and chat to the students after hours of computer-assisted headbanging in the "lab".

Unsuspecting business people usually fall for the whole thing because it's all "self access". Trouble is that the stuff they're "accessing" can best be described as a recycled "direct/communicative/student-centered (= teacherless)/profit maximising approach geared to keeping people in the school for as long as possible.

I worked for them twice because I needed some cash. The manager promised me loads of "leads". He wanted me to ring potentially gullable customers twice a week!! The place is now officially bankrupt! I was lucky to get paid.

AVOID WS, especially the ones in Germany. Just cheap language schools in disguise.

Last edited by mouse5 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
carriela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: WALLSTREET RIPOFF Reply with quote

mouse5 wrote:
WS rip off their customers and their staff. There is nothing unique about their methods. The name WS is just window dressing. Take a look at their schools facades. Your'd think you were entering a stock exchange!! They have insurance salesmen selling the courses using the cold call approach. The school managers haven't got a clue about language learning. Unsuspecting business people usually fall for it. I worked for them twice because I needed some cash. So did they. The place had been declared bankrupt! I was luck to get paid

AVOID! Just a cheap language school in disguise.

yes, I have come to know the truth of your words. I have a second job here in Mexico at a private school that allows for actual teaching experience. live and learn eh, i.e. I took the WSI job without knowing more of their purported methodologies arrghh don't get me started : )
tefl_john

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same sentiments I have too. Wall Street Institute makes Berlitz and Inlingua look good.

They rip off their clients with very well made marketing materials making them seem professional, but they cannot back any of this up with TEFL expertise.

Avoid them - as a student and as a teacher!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: