Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is it like living in Muscat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
web fishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: What is it like living in Muscat Reply with quote

I know this is a very general question. I've read most of the post in the Oman Forum and did some searches on the web, but what is everyday life like in Muscat, especially the area where SQU is located [Al Khoud?]? What is in Al Khoud? What type of housing does SQU provide - villas (I'm assuming this is like a town house) or apartments? If one decides to live on campus, what are the pros or cons? Does one need to own a car, or can you get by without one? What are the chances of getting malaria in Muscat? Anything else you would like to add.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Muscat Reply with quote

Hot and humid. Car essential as the capital area is a sprawling affair.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live there and found it be a very beautiful city. It's not as fast paced as say Dubai etc but it isn't "dead" either.

As graham said, you do need a car to get around- although I got by (just about) on taxis

It's a very safe city and family orientated with plenty of things to do at the weekends.

Downside? I found the cost of living high and was unable to save as much as I could say here in Doha
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

Al-Khoud used to be the back of beyond. In the late 80's there was darn near nothing out there but SQU. But, now it is pretty built up and there is even a decent sized shopping center out there with a big Carrefour Supermarket!! It is about 40 km or so to Muscat proper, and a car is an absolute necessity. This is like living in surburban US and there are few taxis or buses out there. Everyone has a car...

Hot and humid? Hot, yes... Humid? sometimes. It is about 7 km from the sea, so it is noticeably dryer. Interesting how quickly the humidity of the coast dissipates as you go inland. And even Muscat is significantly less humid that Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

I doubt that you have the option of living on campus. If you luck into on-campus housing, definitely take it. These houses have good central air conditioning which is rare in Oman. Even fancy villas have wall units or split units at best. Off campus, a family will likely get a villa, which normally means a separate house with a smallish yard surrounded by a high stone wall. Some of them may have more than one unit - like a duplex or whatever... but haven't heard any major complaints. The furniture is normally fine though rarely what one would purchase by choice. You will probably have to buy a washing machine, but other appliances are provided. Luxuries like TVs and stereos are for you to buy. I'm not certain if single people are getting flats or not... perhaps some forward looking local builder has put up some for SQU to use. I haven't heard anything though. Maybe there is an SQUer reading here who can answer but I fear they are all in airports.

Malaria? not for years. When I got there in the 80's, it was around in the rural areas, but most of the on campus doctors advised against taking the meds as their long term effects are not much better than the disease itself. We did have one teacher who got malaria on the campus (or at least nearby). I never took the meds myself, not did any but a very few of the most intrepid camper sorts. When I returned 10 years later, they had been declared malaria free. Amazing what can be done with an efficient central government.

I didn't find Muscat that much more expensive than the Emirates, but it depends on one's lifestyle.

VS
web fishing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your comments are helpful, I'm getting a better picture. Thank you VS your description is very informative.

What is interesting is the cost of living. I assumed the cost of living was lower in Muscat compared to the Emirates and Doha, especially since the pay at SQU is much lower than for example UGRU, Zayed, Uni of Qatar.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally, I found the costs to be pretty much the same between Oman and the Emirates. Perhaps it depends on your lifestyle. I don't drink and rarely eat out, so I lived on about $300 a month in both countries. (covering food, utilities, phone, petrol, misc)

I agree with you that as to costs - it seems to me that a more active social life would theoretically be more expensive in the Emirates because there is so much more to spend money on. Laughing

I suspect that cost of living differences are minimal for those on the usual academic contract. In a situation where you pay your own rent, Muscat is definitely the cheapest.

VS
Wander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is important to realize just exactly what you are getting into in moving to a sane Gulf State (i.e. not KSA).

First of all, if you are going there to make money, forget it. Those days have long gone.

Secondly, if you are not going there because you expect to enjoy the country, forget it. If you don't like the prospect of living in an Arab culture, albeit as a non-participant, and you don't like the beauty that a country like Oman has to offer then it's not the place for you. Very many people live in Gulf countries and hate their lives. These people are all too often bar flies who waste far too much money on booze.

Thirdly, you can have a great life without it costing too much. You can readily obtain good produce from souks and supermarkets and very reasonably priced booze from liquor stores. You can dine out occasionally at the ex-pat joints in the large hotels but you can dine out on a regular basis at incredibly low priced, good quality Arabian restaurants too. Admittedly, those Arabian restaurants that appeal to westerners are thin on the ground but they are there nonetheless.

So, ask yourself why you want to go to the Gulf and plan to stay for just a year. There are very many unhappy/unhinged people out there but there are also very many who love life there and can easily set aside modest savings.

Wander
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I agree with what you say about expectations... but...

Modest savings? I don't agree. KSA excepted - where I never went and wouldn't have anyway... Salaries are mostly higher or the same now as during my years in the Gulf... cost of living is relatively about the same... (though teaching hours and class sizes have grown and benefits have shrunk at some places) and I managed to save enough to be able to retire in my early 50s in about 13 years. I could have made the double or triple the salary in my previous field in the US and would have only been able to save a tiny fraction of the money and NOT have been able to travel for a couple of months every year around the world.

Granted my timing was good and I invested wisely, but... if I had stayed in the US, I would never have been able to retire, but would have had to die at my desk... Not to mention that since I am American, the fall in the dollar would not have affected me if I was still in the ME.

But, I do agree that going there for one year is really a waste unless you just want to say that you have been there or something...

VS
Wander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people want to spend a little more on their leisure than I suspect you did, VS. Consequently, savings will be less.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggesting that I'm boring???? Shocked

well... yeah... Rolling Eyes

But, I lived very comfortably, had a new car, took a couple of nice trips a year, had a TV - and satellite once it was available, and internet once it was available. Fortunately my needs are simple... and I don't drink alcohol... Laughing Cool

It is a matter of setting priorities...

VS
Wander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boring, VS? Not at all.

A follower of social norms? Not likely!

Smile
web fishing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip wander.

I've traveled through the ME many times, but never had the chance to live there. I love the food and culture, so I am there to enjoy the experience. My habitat is first priority, then I think about the expenses to keep me living a decent lifestyle where I don't have to penny pinch and struggle, but can also save money.

My needs and lifestyle are similar to the one VS projects. Countries that I am interested in pursuing are Oman, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen and maybe Saudi. The only thing appealing about UAE and Qatar is the money.
Wander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

web fishing, do yourself a favour and put KSA and Yemen low on your list. If you live somewhere like the U.A.E. or Oman first, you will be able to gain valuable insights from people who have lived in places like KSA!!!

Wander
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yemen is a fascinating place, but the pay is very low and the lifestyle can be... err... more interesting than you may like. The good thing is that it is close and easily visited on those frequent breaks that one gets teaching in the Gulf... perfect for semester break!!

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

web fishing wrote:
The only thing appealing about UAE and Qatar is the money.

is that it??? Shocked

I have worked in both and I also like....:

-The fact that they are both good locations from which to travel
-There are lots of things to do here (if you know where to look)
-They are both very safe, comfortable and easy to live in
-They are both very cosmopolitan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: