Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of finding a job in Doha?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wompler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Chances of finding a job in Doha? Reply with quote

My fianc� has just been offered a job in Doha, so it looks like we'll be moving there in October and staying for 14 months. What chance do I have of getting a job teaching English there? I am a 29 yr. old American female with a B.A. in Portuguese and a minor in TESL, as well as another minor in Secondary Education. My teaching experience consists of working as an 'Interaction Leader' at an English school connected with my university when I was in college. The position was similar to a teacher, though I couldn't be called that because I had not yet finished my degree at the time. It was mostly conversational English rather than grammar.

Accomodation will be provided by my fianc�'s employer, but it is as yet unclear whether or not I can get a visa and/or flight through them as we are not yet married. Could I get these through a prospective employer? Conversely, if I already had these would it increase my chances of getting hired?

I was considering doing an online TEFL course before arriving, but I've read elsewhere on this forum that many schools in the ME will not accept an online certificate. As we are currently traveling in South America and are not settled in one place, online is my only option at this point. Would it help me get a job or not? Otherwise, are there TEFL courses offered in Doha itself? If so, about how much would it cost and how long would it take?

Finally, if I can't get a job teaching English, are there any other jobs that might be available to me? I speak Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Italian as well as English, but no Arabic. I also have some experience in translation and in the tourism industry.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a few non-native speakers(but fluent) who went with husbands and were able to find employment in primary schools(no teaching experience or qualifications)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wompler,

This is the Gulf and a very conservative Muslim country. I suggest that you read up on the culture. They will NOT give you a long-term visa. Living together is against the law, and although it is rarely enforced against Westerners, best case is deportation after an unpleasant stay in an unairconditioned jail. There has been discussion of this topic around this board many times.

If you plan to join him, I suggest that you marry now so that you can get a visa. Once you are there, you should be able to find a teaching job with your current credentials.

VS
blues clues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: living together in Qatar Reply with quote

It may be illegal to live together in Qatar, however I knew many couples who did so and no one ever bothered them. As an American, you can travel to Qat on a tourist visa which one gets at the airport upon arrival. I think the cost is 55 riyals.once you get there u can look for a job and ask them to sponsor u, or u can just fly to Bahrain or Dubai every few months to get a new visa.

Cheers...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are random couples who are living together all around the Gulf. In the couples with any intelligence both of them have jobs and contracts and FLATS. The fact that they live in only one of them provides them with a 'cover.'

The fact that some are doing it does not make it legal. Nor does it carry any water when you are sitting in the 'pleasant' Gulf jail hoping that they just deport you without the required number of lashes. That is their law and if one doesn't wish to follow it, one can choose to take the gamble.

Personally I feel that people who want to live a Western lifestyle should stay in the West. To go to a conservative Muslim country and live together at best shows a complete lack of respect.

VS
Bebsi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Accomodation will be provided by my fianc�'s employer, but it is as yet unclear whether or not I can get a visa and/or flight through them as we are not yet married. Could I get these through a prospective employer?

Simple answer: no you can't. What you CAN do is try to find to find out a lot more about living in Gulf countries, especially the whole area of sexual-morality and cohabitation . I think you would benefit enormously.

At least in Qatar, you are unlikely to get put in Jail for cohabiting, assuming you are a non-muslim and a westerner, unlike in Saudi Arabia where they would take a more stern view. However, while the Qataris would most likely turn a blind eye to cohabiting, don't expect them to facilitate it by giving you a paid flight and a residence visa just so you can live with your partner. If you can find employment/accom independently, that's a different matter.

Frankly, I tend to agree with Veiledsentiments' views, and believe that if people want to do things the western way, they should stay in the west. I also agree with her that cohabiting is disrespectful in an Islamic society: certainly doing it blatantly is.

I cannot speak for others, but after cohabiting with my first wife for a number of years, when I got my first job-offer in Saudi, we tied the knot. We had intended to do it anyway, I would add, and Saudi simply precipitated it. My point is, we were prepared to compromise. Anyone who isn't, will not fit-in in the Gulf, and will create problems for themselves.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we were prepared to compromise
Chapter 1 in bebsi's book 'How to succeed in the Gulf' Wink
What's the next Chapter?
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can get a job here. The papers are full of job ads.

Yes, getting married first will increase your chances, as spouses are often given preference.

Living with your BF would be a great way to introduce MUCH more stress into your life than you anticipate.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Personally I feel that people who want to live a Western lifestyle should stay in the West. To go to a conservative Muslim country and live together at best shows a complete lack of respect.

I agree, and I think that a lot of westerners don't realize that the traditional values are thriving under the rich trappings of modernity. A striking number of Gulf natives seem to be reaching back to their roots and reclaiming their identities; they do not want to become just like us...

...al hamduli'llah.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Success in the Gulf!!!! Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmm...a book!! Now, dmb, that is an idea worth thinking about........ Idea

Seriously, being prepared to compromise is 99% of the battle in surviving and indeed, thriving in the Gulf.
wompler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. My fianc� and I have both travelled in many Muslim countries and do have great respect for the culture. We are not trying to deliberately flaunt the laws and customs of Qatar, but our situation may make it impossible to do otherwise.

We had been planning our wedding for next March, but then he got this job offer about five days ago out of the blue. We are currently in the middle of a year-long trip in South America. We have been looking into getting married now somewhere in S.A. ever since we found out, but the marriage laws of the countries we have tried so far make it either impossible or very time-consuming, and we don't have much time as he is supposed to start work within a month.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Marriage Reply with quote

Hmmm...yes, you've got a problem there Wompler. Have you tried an online-search for quickie marriages? After a long time of hanging around waiting for divorce paperwork to get sorted, it took my fiancee and I just two weeks from starting the actual process to tying the knot, in Romania. However, she's Romanian. If she hadn't been, I assume it would have been much more difficult, or even impossible. However, it might be worth enquiring about. We DID have to get a Certificat de Coutume from my embassy, to say I was fully divorced and allowed to be set free in the world of matrimony once again! That, however, only took a couple of days.

In KSA, I heard of one westerner who went across to Bahrain for a quickie marriage with his fiancee, whose nationality I don't know but I am sure she was not Arab (I think maybe Thai?). Try Thailand...I believe they have a quickie marriage programme.

Regarding Qatar, they will do nothing to accommodate you as long as you are single, but when you get married, they will bend over backwards to help, as the Arabs generally have huge respect for the institutions of marriage and the family. In the meantime, I think you will be going there on a tourist visa, and you will have to be very discreet regarding your accommodation "arrangements".

Good luck!! Smile
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of opportunities to work here in Doha Wompler, so no need to worry about that...mostly you will find that you will be doing a part-time job first and then later this would become full time elsewhere

Thre are couples who live together here in Doha, but in order to benefit from things such as flight allowances for spouses etc and others, it's best to get married first.

Good luck Smile
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wompler wrote:
...but the marriage laws of the countries we have tried so far make it either impossible or very time-consuming, and we don't have much time as he is supposed to start work within a month.

Can't Dave Sperling perform the marriage for you?

Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave does live in California... so you never know. Cool

but, seriously,

Wompler... why not pass through the US and do a quick civil marriage. Then do another wedding/reception later when you can both get back home. (after the 14 months) Of course, you didn't mention the nationality of your fiancee, and it becomes more complicated if you are not both American.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: