Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sohar Uni
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sohar Uni Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've just been offered a job at Sohar uni and am quite happy with the details I've been sent so far. I just wanted to ask a few questions about the actual place - and info would be greatfully received

During my interview I was told that the people of Oman can be a bit "off-ish" with Brits, but having read a few posts on here the general thoughts about Omani people is that they are very friendly - so who's right??!!

I'm a 25 year old female. I've lived in Azerbaijan for the past year and really enjoyed it, although to go out in the evening with any female friends was a non-entity as they weren't allowed out. I'm assuming it'll be much the same in Sohar, so is there much that I can do? I've read it's quite a quiet place and that doesn't bother me too much as I'm not much of a clubber/pubber type person anyway, but is there a relatively cheap gym or anything like that that I could join?

I'm very much into horse riding too - is the nearest riding place likely to be in Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I have a lot of friends in Adu Dhabi and Dubai, is crossing the boarder frequently a normal thing for people to do? And do I have to pay to do this?

I'm sorry if these questions seem rather stupid but they're the only things I'm not too certain about at the moment.

Has anyone heard anything bad about Sohar uni? They seem very nice over the phone and via email but you never can tell and I've read so many bad things on here about other colleges and unis, I don;t particularly want to get stung.

Thank you kindly for any info you can supply!

Lisa
cornishmaid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tarka,
Hopefully someone will come on with some more up-to-date info than I have. When I lived in Oman, the health-club at the Sohar Beach Hotel was the one to join. They have a nice swimming pool and also tennis courts, if I remember rightly. There's also a small gym. The bar at the hotel is also a place to go in the evenings. I'm based in the UAE now, and I pass through Sohar regularly on my way down to visit friends in Muscat. It's still a sleepy place, and Sohar drivers are something to behold - they seem to be the slowest drivers in Oman!

At Sohar Uni there'll be other Western expats like you, and they'll be able to give you more info and advice. As far as going to Dubai and Abu Dhabi is concerned - you apply for a road pass from the ROP (Royal Omani Police), and then you can go whenever you like. When I was in Muscat, about 11 years ago, you could only get a one-time pass, so you had to apply every time .... I believe that you can now get a multiple one, so that would be the thing to do.

I've known couples who've been separated by the border - one partner in Sohar and one in the UAE (though usually in Al Ain, rather than AD or Dubai), and they've commuted to visit each other every weekend.

As far as Sohar Uni itself is concerned - I haven't heard anything bad about it, though the students in Sohar are not (or weren't, anyway) the most motivated students in Oman, and at times a bit 'undisciplined' as far as learning styles and strategies go .... Most of the people I know who've left Sohar Uni have done so in order to get a job in the UAE - like you, they've used Sohar as a step in their teaching career.

I've never heard anything about Omani students not being Brit-friendly - au contraire in my experience. Guess it depends how you treat them, but as you've heard from many people on this forum, the Omanis are among the most friendly people in the Gulf. Be conservative in your dress code, as they like the respect which they give to foreigners to be reciprocated.

If you go to Sohar with a positive attitude, you'll find the whole Oman experience rewarding. Once you settle in, let us know how you're finding Sohar Uni. Good luck.
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Cornish for your response! A lot of useful information there for me. Thank you. I'm sure I'll get help from the other teachers there when I get there, I just wanted some idea of what to expect.

I'm sure that going with a positive attitude will be fairly easy for me! I love teaching, and I've been teaching Arabic/Omani people all summer and have found it really uplifting. I guess motivation for individuals will always be a problem anywhere I go.

I'm really looking forward to it and will update you when I've arrived and found my feet.

Thanks again,
LISA XX
rikyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tarka,

I'm living in Sohar at the moment. Pretty much everything that cornishmaid said is still right. Roadpasses are for a certain amount of time now (ours are for six months and cost 10rials); each car crossing costs 2 rials (for the car); I had no problems crossing the border the other weekend coming back by myself, and I'll test it the other way tomorrow Very Happy

The *only* gym, pool and tennis is at the Sohar Beach Hotel and it's a bit expensive, but it's pretty good - you'll probably have the gym to yourself. There's nothing else to do *in* Sohar but it's in easy reach of other places. The corniche is a good place to walk along in the cooler months, and there are a couple of ok restaurants now.

The Sohar Expats Society has recently started up, which is starting to do some good things; you're sure to hear about it once you get here.

Oh, watch out now, they've put speed cameras the whole length of the road to Muscat. And the worst drivers are from the UAE, trust me!!

Students are friendly though their English is not the best. Most of the students are female.

Cheers, and hope to see you soon!
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, those who have read this, that I'm off to the embassy tomorrow to sort out my visa.
Does anyone have any idea how long this will take? I'm aware that the term has now started and I'm worried about how long they'll wait for me.

Thanks again!

Oh, how much money should I be thinking of taking out with me to furnish my flat - initially this is. I'm guessing I'll need; bed, sofa, wardrobe, table, and chair. What about fridge? Do they tend to come completely empty or might i find a fridge there? All these things to think about! When I was in Azerbaijan you go towels and bedding and loads of other "extras" along with all your furniture!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a confirmed offer and they are arranging the visa, they will wait as long as it takes. The Omanis are pretty efficient as bureaucracies go in the world.

Expect that the flats will be totally empty. That means that you will have to buy everything including the crucial air conditioners - temps are still in the mid-high 30's, and kitchen appliances, washer (dryer may also be needed... since in most places hanging out laundry is banned... don't know about a little place like Sohar).

I normally took only my bedding (because I like fluffy soft sheets) and some basic kitchen utensils that I like and often can't find. All else can be bought there I would think. Personally I would set up to have access to a couple of thousand dollars (pounds?), but wouldn't carry all that much cash. ATMs should be available if you need more than you take.

Good Luck!!

VS
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm hoping I won't need TOO much luck but a fair dose of it won't go a miss.

I just hate the thought that I'm keeping people waiting. I'm so worried that I'll get to the embassy and won't have all the documents I need. Or that the que will be too long and I don't get to see anyone. Oh the pressure.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I have that much spare money hanging around - think my flat might be a bit thread bare for a while!! I can do without a washing machine - didn't have one the whole time I was in Azerbaijan so that's ok.

Do you know how much a half decent bed might cost me? Should I be thinking along the same lines as prices in England, or higher? Looks like I might be sleeping on the floor for a wee while too!! Haha!! Oh well, it'll be good for my back I'm sure.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cheap option... the subcontinental workers all sleep on those foam mats - covered with fabric. Try to find out if there is a local place that makes them. You can go there and choose the thickness of foam you want and get it covered (or not) for really cheap. I used one of those on the floor for a few months till I picked up a platform bed. Cheap and relatively comfortable... and I went in a taxi to get it - the driver stuffed it into the trunk. Cool

Indoor camping in Oman!!

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's a cheap option... the subcontinental workers all sleep on those foam mats - covered with fabric.
Tjhey're called mattresses. And you buy them from a shop with a sign that says.........."Mattresses".
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... there's a concept... Laughing

Actually, I did not go to such a store. I went to the workshop where they cut and cover the foam and there was no such sign. That way I chose the thickness, the type of foam, and bed size - and it was cheaper.

And when I came back to the US, I did a similar thing... have basically the same mattress that you can buy in a shop that says 'mattresses' except that I paid half the price.

But in Sohar they may truck all of them in and she will have to go to the 'mattress shop.'

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just interested, Tarka - doesn't Sohar Uni give any furniture allowance? What about baggage allowance? If they give either or both of these, then you should get that when you arrive.

VS is right - if they've offered you the job, then they're not anticipating any probs with your visa, and will wait for you to get it. After all, in ME terms it's not very long since you received your job offer. From your posts I'm supposing you're in the UK - are you applying for your visa at the Omani Embassy in London? They used to be friendly and helpful there, though my experiences with them date back about 10 years.
rikyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentials: fridge, mattress, bucket, rack to hang clothes on (a dryer is just a stupid idea here) - most people hang their clothes on the roof, but they fade in the sun and tend to get that nice dusty complexion if you're unlucky. Depends on your heat-tolerance as to whether you need an aircon by the time you get here; it's really cooling off (24-31C), and there are fans everywhere, but it's still that leetle bit toasty for most. I've seen smaller room/wheel-around aircons in some shops as well as wall units.

If you go to the middle of town there are foam mattresses out the front of every fifth shop. Roll one up and away you go.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Muscat (and the Emirates) you were not allowed to hang clothes visibly... not on balconies. So, if you have a smallish flat, what do you do? A dryer was a must in the ghastly humidity of the shoreline cities of the Emirates because you would end up with sopping stinky sheets or towels hanging in your living room for days - never getting dry. When I returned to Oman, my first flat had no balcony so I was glad I had shipped my combo washer/dryer in from Kuwait.

I suspect that Sohar is more relaxed about visible laundry than Muscat.

As I recall Sohar gives no furniture allowance... and if they give any shipping allowance, it is likely miniscule.

VS
DesertStar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fridge is a must, perhaps a fan for now as it's beginning to get a bit cooler in the region (you'll need that AC when summer approaches again!). You might want to get the mattress.

A small stove too! A gas one is more economical compared to an electric one (a 20 dirham cylinder lasts 2-3 months)

It would be helpful if you get a washer and one of those space-saving racks (typically fits in 1 sq meter) that hold a bunch of items.

Everything else can wait till u get to know the place better, prices, etc.

Goodluck!
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your help.

No, Sohar don't provide a furniture allowance and I'm awaiting a response to the baggage allowance question.

I have lots of friends in Abu Dhabi and Dubai (locals, not ex pats) who said they'd help me find good deals on furniture either in Oman or their home towns, so I'm feeling slightly less fazed than I was before about the whole thing.

The people at the Embassy in London are great! I've spoken to them a couple of times on the phone and when I went up there last week to get my documents stamped the woman on the desk took one look at me and said "Ohhhh, they'll treat you like a Queen!! Look at you!" I'm still not sure what that refered to exactly but it was nice all the same!

Just can't wait to get there now!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: