Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: *********************** Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Zolushka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are both right, Gentlemen! Things are never as clear as we hope. Then again, they are not as grim as some people think. Russian language schools always need more teachers than the number of visas they apply for. There are still far too many cowboy schools out there. But teaching is good here. So perhaps that alone is enough to negate those terrible things we are all aware of.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Rogan is right! Reply with quote

Anyone thinking of going to Russia should PLEASE TAKE SERIOUS NOTE OF ALL THE POINTS HE MENTIONED,FOR THEIR OWN GOOD!Russian employers have a funny habit of washing their hands of people who get into problems and the chances of getting stopped in the way he mentioned,are unfortunately on the increase with the new regulations in force as well as vigilance for terrorist suspects etc!A friend of mine is General manager of Le Meridien,a very up-market complex just outside Moscow which is partly owned by the foreign ministry,and even he has big problems renewing work permits for the few ex-pat staff he is allowed to employ,and is frequently stopped himself by the militia when going to work etc!During my last visit to Moscow in April 2002,I was hauled-up twice by them and asked for my documents within the space of 30 minutes,right in the city centre and for no particular reason as I was just walking along minding my own business!

M.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Just starting Reply with quote

On this note, I had a few questions as someone that is just getting started. Right now I have two years of university education, I can speak Italian and Arabic, but no teacher certification. On the website for language link, they speak of an internship for people with no four-year education and no teaching certification where you gain your TEFL cert. during the nine month contract. I applied online and had not gotten a response for a week so I wrote them an email. It's been almost another week and still no response. Am I not being persistant enough? Is it possible they aren't interested? Does anyone have anything they'd like to mention pertaining this internship of LL or other alternative routes? Am I asking too many questions? What's the weather like in Moscow? Should I stop now?

CS
GF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there CS. The head guy in LL is Rob Jenski. He is a good person to deal with. The problem is that he gets hundreds of emails a week which he tries to answer himself without pushing it off onto the secretarial staff. Plus, he was recently out of the country, so it might take him some time to catch up with the backlog. Goodluck and pay close attention to the advice given on this thread, especially if you decide to exercise other options.

GF

PS: By the way, I worked for LL in the past and my experience with them was quite positive.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a response back from Language Link and (due to my situation) he told me to email him back in December (closer to my available date) because he would have a better idea as to how many positions would be available next year. I was wondering, are positions with LL just up for grabs? I mean, do they need people more than people want to work there? People here speak very highly of LL. So why doesn't everyone work for them? Is it because it's difficult getting a job with them? Basically, I'm trying to gauge my chances of landing a job.

CS

P.S. Thanks GF
GF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good chance of getting a position. The fact is that the big schools here (and many of the smaller ones) are in constant need of new staff. One of the so called 'Big Three' advertises quite frequently during the year. But keep in touch because there are a few times during the year a school may have a glut of applicants (late summer and December) and be in a position to pick and choose. The reason that everyone doesn't work for the 'Big Three' (LL is included here) is that they offer the lowest level of compensation. But the places that offer more want experience, dedication and GOOD (preferably Russian) references. And they would rather not deal with newbies in the professional and in the 'I have just arrived in Russia' sense. So the 'Big Three' offer you a place to gain some experience in country and to prove yourself. A year or two at one of these places will let you know if Russia really is for you and it will show future employers that you can hack living here.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Should you give up the idea?? Reply with quote

The others have already given you some very useful advice about schools in Moscow etc. and I would add that Jensky was also very polite and friendly to me when I called in to see him without any prior appointment about 3 years ago.BUT,when I went to visit one of their schools in a suburb of Moscow last year,I was not at all impressed by the classroom and conditions-they were using an old engineering institute and it was dingy and decrepid,although the teachers,two young English girls,seemed to have kept their spirits up under the circumstances,despite earning only around 500 u.s. per month and apparently sharing an old appartment miles away6 from the school which didn't have a washing machine!
My point is that this is not really a decent basic salary any longer in Moscow-I spoke to a couple of Russians only yesterday here who were over from Moscow on holiday,and they assured me that a large proportion of the working population there earn well over that amount nowadays,so don't be fooled into thinking it's good money!My main point however,is that if you haven't experienced Russia before,it can be a tough place for a westerner to live in and the standard of many things is below what you would have been used to-on top of that,the grey weather expeienced for much of the year,and miserable urban landscapes can be very depressing and especially if you are not going to earn enough either,it is not an adventure I would recommend to just anybody!
Zolushka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CS, we have the coldest summer in 100 years in Moscow. That's Russian weather for you! As for the Big Three - there isn't much difference between them. Some have enjoyed working with LL, while others love EF and BKC. Then you have some teachers who absolutely hate the one they are working for. So, do your homework and go with your own decision. Your fun only begins after you start living and working in Russia.
Ophelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I thank you for all this beginner information. I have just received a TEFL certificate and have been reading, reading, reading, on where to begin with teaching in Russia. Thanks for all the pointers and reality checks. I'll be sure to contact some of you when I start having really specific questions ( I am not planning on leaving until next June). I am guessing from these replies that most of you are based near Moscow, would it be fair to think that the conditions are the same in Saint Petersburg? Or is it 'easier' to obtain work in Moscow? Man, I don't even know where to begin with questions. Don't want to sound completely naive, but it seems that is what I am. Cheers!

oph
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have someone that is sending me an invitation. So, does this mean it will be easier for me to change schools if I want? From what I've understood, if a company fires you, or you quit, you lose your visa. However, I also recall someone saying that you must obtain a work permit (something completely different than a visa) prior to arrival. So, do I have the option of switching schools if I already have a visitor's visa and still be able to obtain a work permit while in-country?

How many of you, that are either in Moscow or were previously there, can speak Russian? My impression is that not all of you can, which suprises me. I would think that would be a top priority of anyone wanting to travel to Russia. Just curious.

Is $400 per month (for the first 3 months) enough to live on? Normally teachers are paid $500, but since I'll get my teacher cert. during my stay they're paying less (it's an internship).

Lastly, I'm half asian. A russian friend of mine told me that things are changing and that racism isn't as much of a concern as it was before. Can anyone comment on that?
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: A few words of advice............... Reply with quote

Unfortunately,many Russians are still racially prejudiced,especially outside Moscow where there are very few foreigners anyway.Part of it could be due to the fact that moslems etc. are officially blamed for the trouble in Chechnya as well as all sorts of other ills,so anyone who looks as if they might be from a moslem country tends to find people may be wary of them!Equally to blame though for the prejudice against foreigners generally which some people express,is that the crooks and swindlers of the Yeltsin governments era,who are responsible for much of mess the country is in today,were looked on by the west,and America in particular,as being the wonder babies who introduced a new era of capitalism,prosperity and freedom etc. in Russia and glorified by the mass media abroad,while in reality,they were plundering the countries wealth on a scale perhaps unprecedented in the 20th century and a large proportion of the population were reduced to misery and degredation as a result!
So you would probably be happier and more comfortable in Moscow,although definitely not on 400 bucks a month,or even 500!This is the standard con trick used by most of the big language schools there,who advertise this as a "middle-class" salary! I can tell you that just the other day,some Russian people I know here assured me that over 80% of the working population in Moscow today earn well over 500 dollars equivalent per month,so don't be fooled!Of course there are people such as pensioners and low-grade manual workers who earn less,but their standard of living is not one which I would recommend to anyone!Without their free appartments,they would starve!
M.
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
bgor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: The English First job at $950/month. I got more details on that job a while back, and it does NOT include an apartment. According to others on this board whom I asked (Kent and Rogan replied, I think), Moscow apartments run $300-500. The less you pay (they said), the more time you will spend commuting and the less desirable the neighbourhood. So the $950/month could easily become $450/month, less deposits, etc.!

If anybody wants a contact for a job in Stavropol that pays $250-350/month, let me know. It does come with apartment, $US1000 for airfare, and according to the hiring chap, one can live comfortably for $150/month there. I turned it down because the gurus on this board said it was just not enough. However, one person's trash is another person's treasure...so if you want the info, email me. Keep in mind that if you take it you're not helping get decent salaries for ESL teachers! Smile

Brian
Zolushka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$400 for an internship? That's got to be Language Link who's sending you the invitation. Am I right? If it comes with visa and accommodation, then it's okay. But please note that the in-house training you're getting with your prospective employer might not be recognised elsewhere. In other words, it is NOT exactly CELTA, or Trinity TESOL, is it?
As for racism: Unfortunately it does exist. Tell me something, has it been a problem for you so far? If it is not a problem for you at the moment, then it probably won't be a huge problem for you anywhere you go. They have quite a few different ethnic groups in Russia, you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: