Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA in Saigon??? info pluuueeezzz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
double agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: ILA in Saigon??? info pluuueeezzz Reply with quote

Need a new employer in Vietkong...considering ILA.
Advice appreciated.
Allyson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: ILA Vietnam Reply with quote

One of the largest employers in HCMC... Have a lot of general English part time adult courses, and heaps of kids classes. Also running full time summer programs at present. They like their teachers on full time contracts and not working for other schools as well, as many casual teachers work several schools.

Beautiful building, good teacher resources, nice people generally, worked there for a few weeks myself as a sub teacher but it depends on what you mean by 'good' as everyone's definition is different. Pay rates vary from around 10.50US to 15.50US from memory depending on experience and qualifications.

Contact Steve Baker, the HR manager for more info on [email protected] or check out their ads here or on tefl.com

Hope this is useful for you!
double agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: thanks for the info.. Reply with quote

thanks for the email and info on this board...other
perspectives appreciated.
hanisay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also appreciate any info about ILA or other language schools in Saigon, such as SEAMEO or VATL. I've applied to ILA, but they seem to be very vague regarding working conditions, hours, starting dates, etc. Does anyone have any experience with them?
dez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering this school also so want to bring this thread back to the top. Anyone else have any input?
dez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, they claim to have 50 foreign teachers working for them and nobody responds to this?

Or is the internet not used as widely there as some other places?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dez wrote:
Wow, they claim to have 50 foreign teachers working for them and nobody responds to this?

Or is the internet not used as widely there as some other places?

I'm guessing that most just don't check this board once they are somewhat settled.. mainly because its so inactive here.

Also, Saigon and Hanoi are somewhat easy to figure out.. meaning everyone quickly knows everything.. and the expat community circle is an easy one to run with (at least that the impression I received during visits).

Meaning that everyone seems to go to and are aware of the same places. Perhaps more networking and questions are answered in person and the Internet isn't as needed to connect between people (as is often done in South Korea).

Also, Saigon and Hanoi would be small cities if they were in Korea.. and as you'd guess.. they'd be fairly self-contained.. and everyone would more or less quickly become familiar with each other.

In my two one-month visits to Vietnam.. I seemed to meet alot of people quite quickly overall. The idea of exchanging information online didn't seem as relevant as it often does in Korea. Particularly when you consider how vast Korean cities like Seoul can be.. and how tons of people end up on the fringes and small towns and all over the place in Korea and more internet-dependent to connect themselves with information.
Cali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet can be very frustarting to use in VN, last time I was there April it was a bit better, but when it take 10 mins just to get your email, you don't tend to stay on long.

SEAMEO was ok 3 years a go, and again in April thing seemed not bad, they have computers for the teachers to use and you now also can access the internet from there. The director of the entire centre was educated in the US and has been working hard to moderinze the place. I know that the Vietnamese staff are very happy working with him, but I am not sure how the English language department is run now.

Hope this helps some/
double agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: ya Reply with quote

ya i never write about my work place. even on the bad days
i have been able to resolve problems either through negotiation,
or moving on.

Have no horror stories to tell and even if I did I will wait until
I AM LONG GONE.

I believe in the motto
You don�t bite the hand that feeds you�
mrfate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Ila Reply with quote

ILA is a very easy to school to teach at because it has the largest resource library probably in Vietnam, 4 photocopiers, dvd and tv in every room, Also with 2 computer labs, a 9 level building over 3000 students...

You can imagine it's a esl teacher's dream. There is also a TA in every class.

However, the curriculum is pretty strict, but as long as you get the book work out of the way... it's pretty much your own class.

As far as vietnam goes... Most cafe's have ADSL, the food and drink's cheap, the people are friendly, there are lots of countries close to visit... pretty much the pick of the asian countries to teach ESL.

Also a haven from American, English and Australian government politics and the shit that is going on in the world... A truly peaceful place...

Anyways... just my opinion.
Aramas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also a haven from American, English and Australian government politics and the *beep* that is going on in the world...

Precisely what I need. I wonder how many people there are who, like myself, have chosen to leave their own country in disgust?
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're an under 35 yr. old female, you're in. Blonds are preferred.
mrfate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Recuiting?? Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, if you're an under 35 yr. old female, you're in. Blonds are preferred.

Looking around at the moment there must be a shortage... because there aren't many working here at the moment... Shocked

And looking at my self... I'm a 27 year old brown hair male... I definately don't fit that group... But I could I guess.. Twisted Evil

Quote:
Precisely what I need. I wonder how many people there are who, like myself, have chosen to leave their own country in disgust?

Where are you living at the moment??

Western politics make me sick.. Mad Communism isn't much better... but at least they can save their own country from social evils that are bred of "free speech" - Not that it (free speech) really exists in the Western world... more like (free speech = hit your head on a brick wall)

Ross
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you do fit into the under 35, which I've heard is what they are looking for, females preferred. I've never applied there. Just spreading malicious rumors.
mrfate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: They need teachers!! Reply with quote

Well.. there are all ages right up and over 40-50...

I hear they are hiring like crazy at the moment...

It would be a good idea to send your cv's if you want a job..

You must have a bachelor and a TEFL or CELTA etc etc..

Ross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: