Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA Survival?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: CELTA Survival? Reply with quote

I'm about to start a CELTA teacher training course, and I'm feeling a bit nervous. Can anyone tell me, is it really as tough as "they" make it out to be? What tips would those of you who have taken the course give to a newbie?
I earned my BA 3 years ago, so my brain is not completely rusty. Wink I just want to get a good idea of what I'm in for. The website of the school where I'm taking the CELTA has these stern warnings about 100% attendance and does not recommend attempting the course if one is not able to be completely focused, without any emotional or physical issues. I have no problems along those lines, but I will be taking the course outside my home country (the US of A), so I'm at least expecting a bit of culture shock.
By the way, I'm not interested in any responses along the lines of, "The CELTA is worthless, don't waste your time". I've already paid for the course and bought my plane ticket, so it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of preparation.
I would greatly appreciate any insider tips you are willing to share! Very Happy
dorum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Trinity TESOL - equivalent of what you're giong to do (sort of - but with teaching kids). I can assure you this kind of warning should be put on the intensive courses - you spend a lot of time at school (taking/giving classes, lesson plans, feedback etc.), and some people go a bit strange after a while (speaking from personal experience..).
Mind you, these people are not ususaly all that stable to begin with..
Any reasonably adjusted person can get through it without serious scars, so don't worry!!

Best of luck!
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stable, and "reasonably adjusted" is a pretty relative term, but from what I hear (and read on Dave's) I just might be more balanced than some teachers out there!

What I've done so far to prepare is to do a CELTA pre-task that the school sent me. It was basically a review of grammar and such. I'm also in the process of photo-documenting my life - taking pictures of my friends, my house, my family, etc. to show to my students. I understand the CELTA has you practice teaching during your first week of the course! Anyway, what I mostly want to know is if anyone has tips for retaining sanity during the course? I really want to do well (the school offers decent contracts to all teachers with B-Pass or above), but don't want to drive myself over the edge doing it Confused
lajzar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be cynical about any school that claims to offer contract to its graduates. The celta course I took claimed to, but didnt. What they offerred was an interview, but I could have got that by reading the newspaper anyway.

Anyhow, the best preparation is to make sure you have no outside disturbances. celta is a tough programme, but not especially difficult. As long as you have no distractions, any reasonably intelligent person should be able to pass. It isnt a course designed to weed out passers and failures. Instead, it is focused as a training course.
voodoochild

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done a 1 month intensive with International House London and It was like paramilitary training (ok i exaggerate) anyway it was the best thing I ever did , It really puts one through the shredder and sharpens you up.

Mad
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did the CELTA last year I found that most people can pass however some of the trainees had problems with:

1. Anger management. Some Trainers and better at giving feedback than others, and some trainee's egos are the size of planets to begin with. If your reasonably well adjusted you'll get through it. Take it on the chin and move on.

2. Breaking the workload up into manageable chunks. Most of the trainees felt happier when they realised they didn't need to know everything about English grammar - only the parts they needed to teach.

3. Watching your friends receiving "Not up to Standard" remarks. I worked in a team of six. I think it's really important to support your team, emotionally, and with the practical stuff too. Normally, I don't like to complain but I found it very supportive to sit with my friends and complain about the course. It's a good way of releaving the stress. Smile

Also, I found out that the final grade you receive depends more on your classroom performance then the assignments - though they are still important-ish. In hindsightn, I also wasted a lot of time adapting my own materials. To me it now seems it not so much the materials that matter but how you use them to get across your point.

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: no worries Reply with quote

You'll be all right. I'm a rather neurotic person (with a drinking problem)and I made it through to a pass, and i didnt do it in Timbuctoo either! Very Happy Just hold out till the second week and you're home free. Remember to assert yourself in the group while staying part of the team, because you will be placed in deliberately awkward situations by the moderators. It's a total head-spin.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey MK congrats on escaping your cubicle, good luch
where are you going?
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm escaping the confines of a soul-less marketing job go to Costa Rica, teach, and make no money doing it Very Happy I'm also doing my CELTA there. Seemed to make sense to do the course in my intended teaching destination. I'm really very much looking forward to all of this, just having those last-minute butterflies, you know?

Khmerhit...neurotic and a drinking problem? Sounds all too familiar! Wink I personally like to think the two factors cancel each other out.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pura vida! Smile
Sandgropers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the advice already given but would just like to add a few extra points:

NEVER allow yourself to get behind in the assignments or other obligatory (after hours) course work, otherwise you will create a really stressful situation for yourself in your effort to catch up!
I had to teach for 20 minutes on the FIRST DAY of the course and, while daunting, it did manage to break the ice for the remainder of the practical teaching side of the CELTA course.
You'll need to develop good TIME-MANAGEMENT skills to complete all the necessary tasks AND HOPEFULLY get a LITTLE sleep!

Remember.......it IS ONLY four weeks out of your life and will open up a whole new world for you.

Enjoy and good luck.
Cheers Smile
jadg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MK - just finished the CELTA 10 days ago - first study of any description I have done since completing a B.Comm 6 years prior and first ever experience of teaching whatsoever . Fantastic course all up, challenging but cast aside too many nerves by remembering it's very hard to fail! Don't let this make you complacent, keep on top of your grammar if it's not a strong point, and most importantly be very vigilant about responding to tutors' assessments and criticisms of your teaching methods, addressing theses issues directly as they arise.
If you've passed a BA, apathy is your only concern here -good luck!
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say thanks to all for the advice. You wise and helpful posters have helped calm my fears, so now I can focus on the really important question...what the $*&@! to bring with me! Wink
Wish me luck!
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good luck and all that. Try not to imbibe too much-- or at all. I didnt take a drink till the last day of the second week. not easy. Also, i dont know if youre the rebellious sort or not, but if you LISTEN TO THE INSTRUCTORS AND DO WHAT THEY SAY, youll be alll right on the nite. Very Happy
Kereru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably better off in a CELTA course if you have never taught as the school teachers on my course found it especially hard to break out of the TTT (teacher-talking-time) mode. We did our practice teaching with Somalii refugees and the best tip I was given was to prepare more than you expect to use but expect to only get through half of what you've planned. Some simple exercise that you think will take 10 minutes can take your class 20 but better still is the exercise that you'd planned to take 15 but the class get so enthusiastic you run with it for 30 min. Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: