Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEWARE of living in District 1, HCMC (Saigon)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimshady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: BEWARE of living in District 1, HCMC (Saigon) Reply with quote

I just wanted to warn everyone that plans to live in District 1 in Saigon, Vietnam. I spent three months living in that area on Thai Van Lung Street. The cross street was Le Thanh Ton, near the SEOMEO school. I have lived in about 10 countries, and this was by far my worst experience in my 30 years of life.

The Office Manager of the school I was going to work at introduced me to these "nice" people who rented rooms to foreigners, some of them teachers. The room was $200 per month, excluding water, electricity, telephone calls, laundry, (and whatever else they could think of charging me for.) That too much I thought, but for the money I would supposedly be making, I decided to rent a room for, if nothing else, one month.

Well, there were many little things that went wrong, such as them lying about how the air conditioner worked and it really didn't. But I'll won't go into such details.

Basically, these people turned out to be communists from Hanoi. I realized how much I hate communists. Before I went to Vietnam, I didn't even know what a communist was, and why they are so bad. We learned in the U.S. while I was growing up that these were bad people, but I thought people were just exaggerating. No, these are terrible people. They are all about control. For example, my commie landlords locked the front door at 9:00 p.m. or so, and it was very difficult to come and go after that time. A tenant had to ring the door bell and wake up the person sleeping at the front door. Then they would get mad because you woke them up. Well, I said, "give me a key to the front door then!!!!!!!" And as far as bringing in a girlfriend, as they would say in New York, "forget about it." They lied about me being able to bring in a guest once in a while. They wouldn't let anyone come up into my room. Not even an old Vietnamese guy that I was friends with. These people were all about lies and control. Then I would have students from my class, and other people calling my room. If the landlords picked up the phone downstairs, then would have to transfer it up to my room. Well, they took it upon themselves to tell all the girls calling that "too many girls call here, and now he it out with his girlfriend." Most of the girls calling were just English students calling because they were bored, and wanted to say hi. The landlords were just mad and jealous that I had so many girls calling. So, needless to say, they scared away many friends of mine. And they didn't even tell me when my guy friends would call either.

I was just a bad experience. So IF you live in Vietnam, don't live in the area that I mentioned where I had lived. 99% of the owners of the houses in that area are communists from Hanoi. A lot of the Vietnamese Navy lives in that area, too, and I heard they really hate us foreigners. The people are as fake as a three dollar bill in that part of town. Yes, it looks nice. I.E. it's clean, and neat, and the houses are newly remodeled, but it's not worth the trouble, plus they use us foreigners to pay too much for rent, and electricity, and everything else. I made some good friends in Saigon, and eventually they opened up to me and said, "yes, we really do hate you foreigners, but most of us just pretend to like you so we can make money."

One night during my last week in Saigon, I was walking back to my house with a girl, and a new government security guard in our "commune" stopped us and said we had to pay him money (a bribe) or else he would call the police. I misunderstood what he was saying, and just continued to my house. Well, the girl I was with was scared, and didn't want to go inside my house. (That night a girl employee of my landlords was "guarding" the front door and she never seem to care if guests came inside.) Anyways, so me and this girl left my house. The next day the police (Cahn Sat) came to my house looking for me. Needless to say, my commie landlord was very angry. I said I didn't do anything wrong, etc., but I'm just a stupid American, immoral and corrupt. These people were the most hypocritical people I have ever met. I told my landlord that I am used to freedom, and not used to government control. That was an unbelievable experience.

Don't let the school find your accomodations either. The guy that introduced me received a commission or finders fee from the landlords, I am sure of it. Everything in Vietnam is about money. At first I thought he was just being nice, but then I realized that I was in Saigon, not Poo Dunk, Iowa. Find your own room/ apartment and make sure it has it own private entrance, and that the landlords are not from Hanoi. Those two things are difficult to accomplish though. The commies control most of the rentals, as far as I have seen. And pay no more than $100 per month, including AC. I suggest District 4, which is across the Saigon River from District 1 (and most of the schools). It's a crappy part of town, but it is cheaper, and the people over there are great. Many of them or their families were the Americans old allies during the war, and they still seem to like us (I don't know why.)

Please!!!! Take my advice and you will have a much better time living in Vietnam than I had. 99% of the Vietnamese are great people, but the controlling 1% of the commie *beep* can make life miserable.

Have a good time, but watch out for these fake smiles.

SlimShady
stanman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Slimshady's view point. It's pretty amazing how you can get such a variety of experiences and view points on these forums. The area mentioned by Slimshady is called the foreigner ghetto. It is on part of the old navy base with navy families being the owners and Yes you might expect the landlords to be pro government. I have been living in the ghetto for two years and have never had a problem with the police or my landlord. In fact the area is very safe with very few break-ins. I am guessing where slim was staying was a guest house or mini hotel. The fact is you dont have any freedom when you are a guest staying at these places but you only stay there for a week or two until you find your own house.

Renting a four bedroom fully furnished house in the ghetto will cost you about $ 500-700 a month and they will want a 6 month lease. What you can do though is find a house already occupied and share the expenses. that way you know the landlord is cool and you will not have to sign a lease. A one bedroom flat with your own key will be over $ 300

The first thing you should do when you come to Saigon is to buy a mobile phone and sim card (total cost about $150.) Expecting the guest house to answer and take messages for you is unreasonable.

Slimshady gives the worst advice that you should live in Dist 4. I would not reccomend that area because of the higher crime rate and the simple fact that you will need to drive around in traffic to get to your classes. There are no decent language centers in that area. I can easily say that the traffic is awful here and very dangerous.

Like any where around the world landlords can be great or they can be crooks. My landlord is great. the other day my TV blanked out so I gave hime a call. That same day he was over a had the whole thing taken apart spread all over the living room. I was a bit pissed that he didnt check with me if i needed the room to entertain but hell he got the thing working.

Vietnam is a Communist country turning toward a market economy. There are some things that are checked closely. On the other hand the freedoms for foreigners are pretty good. Teachers can work freelance and a 6 month work visa can be bought for $100. You can walk around town with a beer in your hand. What more could you want?
Stan
gerard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan---Is dist 4 "downtown" around the Rex hotel? I had the time of my life there but am hesitant to take the plunge and just show up looking for a job... Any thoughts---planning om China but I would much much prefer Vietnam...
slimshady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Stanman Reply with quote

I agree with some of the things that Stanman said. And disagree with others. I didn't know that the foreigner ghetto was an old navy base. If I would have known that, I wouldn't have even thought about living there. He was right is saying that you should only live in these "guest houses" for a few weeks, until you can find your own house to rent. The white folks I knew in the area lived in a guest house for months or years, since they only needed one room or didn't want to spend the $500 - $700 that Stan said it cost to rent a house. (And remember, the average English teacher makes $12/ hour, and full-time hours are 20 hours a week.) To me that is outrageous to spend that much. It's Vietnam, not Beverly Hills. Most of the Viets I was friends with only made $70 a month. And they were only spending around $30 - $35 for a small apartment (no AC of course).

Regarding the mobile phone, Stan is right about that, you definitely need one. I thought about that after it was too late. I needed to have a mobile phone. Plus, in Saigon, you're not cool unless you're hanging on to the lastest model "hand-phone."

Regarding District 4, I think Stan was incorrect in saying that it has a higher crime rate. I spend lots of time in District 4 and never heard of any problems or encountered any problems to speak of. I think District 1 would actually have more crime since the thieves converge on the area because they know that where the stupid round-eyed foreigners with money tend to congregate. If I went back to live in Saigon, I would definitely live outside of District 1. Maybe not District 4, but district 4 is convenient if you work in District 1 and the traffic isn't much worse than 1.

If you like communists, then you'll love District 1, and the expatriate ghetto. There are even plenty of round-eyed communists running around that area.

Slimshady
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Vietnam - run by the communists !!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Oh no ! Is it true ? The communists are in power in Vietnam !

Come on ! Where have you been since 1975 ? Are you trying to tell us that you did not know that Vietnam is a communist country ?
slimshady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Yeah, Scott Reply with quote

scot47,

Yes, Scott, I am telling you and the mouse in your pocket that I know and knew Vietnam is a communist country. I am just saying I didn't realize how shitty the communists are to live around. I learned they were "bad" and evil growing up, but I thought, like a lot of things, it was just an exaggeration. I was apparently naive, because I found out the hard way how evil communists can be.

Take care tough hippy guy.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Muslims in Saudi Reply with quote

Well if you are thinking of heading to the Middle East maybe you should be aware that there are a lot of Muslims here.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimshady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Muslims......(Mooooslums) Reply with quote

Muslims? That's cool, Scott. Yeah, I'll have to remember that. Muslims are cool. Much better than Viet communists. I would miss beer, and the occasional porkchop though. :( Take care in the Middle East. Watch out so you don't get raped by the U.S. Army. :wink:
Albulbul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: be careful Reply with quote

Think carefully before you go ANYWHERE !!
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: HCMC Resident Reply with quote

I learned they were "bad" and evil growing up, but I thought, like a lot of things, it was just an exaggeration. I was apparently naive, because I found out the hard way how evil communists can be.

This has to be someones idea of a joke. There is no way an experienced traveler would make sweeping generalizations like that.

I live in the same area he claims to have and have not had that experience. When you are a traveler you have to be very weary anywhere. I have found a nice place that I have lived happily in since October without any of the hassels mentioned above.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: d***heads Reply with quote

The original post about "evil communists" was from some redneck who should never have left Hickville, USA.
Mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that the place hasn't changed at all in 30 years.

I kind of like the "just show up" posts. Quibbling over the rent yet spending a 150 for a cell phone, drop 700 for a house. 20 hours a week (if you are lucky) non convertible money.

20 cents for a bowl of noodles and a good dose of cholera. "Oh mommy it is just diarrhea!"

The seasonal job market says a lot in itself. Things will be a little slack unless you arrive right now. Pick up a bit after the Tet offensive. Sure.

Sink some money in a motorbike, and a few bribes.

10 hours a week is pretty standard. If you are lucky, have a cell phone and an illegal bike. The casual comments about the money changers having "competative rates."

These things should ring a bell. Alarm signals should be going off.

I only know Saigon and that was a long time ago.

Yes they do hate your guts and behind that friendly smile is a bicycle bomb.
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Yes they do hate your guts and behind that friendly smile is a bicycle bomb.[/quote]

Does that even make sense to you?
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, well I guess am totally screwed seeing that I am not arriving until 8/18, It sounds as if I will have 0 employment opportunity. I hope the 7,000 I have will last me til post-tet. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobs also come up in September. When I was there the good time to find jobs where September, decemeber (all the Forein teachers went home), and after Tet in Feb.

As for living dist 1 is ok. I lived there for 4 months and then stayed there again for 2 weeks last time I was there (April)

The other districts close to district 1 are ok to live in as long as you stay close to district 1. Yes you will see crime but I really don't think that it is that much worse than anyplace else. Keep in mind that some of the schools are outside of district 1 so if you live outside of district 1 you will likely have to go through it to get to school.

I never heard of any having problems in the white getto, but then I have always found that if you treat people with respect you get it.

It is realitively easy to change your money in VN now most banks will take any forein currency and change it to dong there are also atms, to get US$ go to any jewlery store or the airport.

I find the comments about communist confusing when I was there in 2001 and then this year I was struck by how free market the country was. If there is something that can be done someone does it.

As for bribes that is life in most of the world, why should it be different there, but again I have found the right attitude can avoid a lot of those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: