Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Americans with non-EU passports work legally in France?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsbankston

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Can Americans with non-EU passports work legally in France? Reply with quote

Please discuss.

There seems to be a great division of opinion on this. Some say there is virtually no way in hell someone without an EU passport can find legal work in France. Others say it's barely possible, but very hard. Others say it can definitely be done. Others say it's easy to get the job, but impossible to live off the usual pay. And still others say yes you can find work and yes you can live decently off of it.

This is what I've picked up from this board so far. Anybody care to weigh in?
workingnomad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. End of discussion.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general answer is a definite NO.

A few people find loopholes, but they are people with significant contacts.

For example, get a job with a North American corporation with offices in France. Get transferred.
Or have a spouse whom the above scenario applies to + the ingredient that the company in question has an agreement to cover non-EU spouses (this worked for me in the Netherlands - another 99.9999% impossible country to get into).
Or get married to someone with the requisite passport.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, those people who say ' come on over' are ALL talking about ILLEGAL work. Fine if it's your gap year and you don't care at all about your resume or professional reputation. Quite honestly, it doesn't look great on a resume to have worked illegally....
crashartist1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will your employeer in the future at a bank in Indiana look at your resume and know if you worked legally or not?

If you want to go to France and work illegally go for it, the legal part doesn't mean anything unless you put it on your resume.

crash
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Educated people everywhere know that North Americans can't work legally within the EU. Sure, you might get by, but the first time some HR person asks the question (how'd you swing the work visa thing?) you're done.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are legal routes that impose limited timeframes. One possibility is the government teaching assistantship through the Embassy in Washington. Another is becoming a lecteur in a university. These have been discussed in various threads on this forum.

There is supposedly an internship program through the French-American Chamber of Commerce. I met a woman who had participated in this program, but I didn't speak to her at length about it. I do know there is an age limit. You'll have to research further.
Luder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Educated people everywhere know that North Americans can't work legally within the EU.

But if they're smart (and it's likely they'll be smarter than some of the posters here), they might not care.

I taught in Argentina for more than four years. I was never legal. I'm not proud of having worked illegally, but I'm not ashamed of it, either. People like Spiral try to make you think you should be.

As it happens, the HR person who interviewed me for my current job (translating and rewriting) asked me exactly the question Spiral mentions. I answered honestly.

Methinks Spiral should clamber down off his high horse and stop preaching so much.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O.P.'s question was about legality. Discussion of legality is appropriate in this case.

I don't preach in all cases - I am entirely aware that thousands of North Americans take a fun gap year or two somewhere, and that the majority of them have no problems because of it.

Not my problem - but when asked whether North Americans can work legally in France - well...there's 99.99% only one answer.

Bummer. But true.
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, why would you even want to work there?

The French despise us.

On a more positive and more encouraging note however, my colleague in San Diego managed to get a legal work permit to teach in France after she arrived. She found a job, but instead of working illegally, she took her "contract" and U.S. passport to the immigration office and was granted a work visa.

Seems a bit too good to be true, perhaps... but it did happen for her.
PM if you'd like details.
wildchild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is no longer with us.

Quote:
The French despise us.

Who is this "us" of which you speak?
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"us"- object pronoun

I don't believe the French are all that fond of Americans... but then again, who is?

I'm sure that France is a lovely country, however given the red tape involved in obtaining legal work status and the general disdain for our society, I have to wonder why any American would want to teach there.
wildchild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should be careful to not equate the critiques leveled at the American govt. and the bourgeois, corporate elitists who fill its ranks to critiques of working class Americans; Most, the French included, know that our governments do not represent you and me.
forest1979

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle - Are you talking about French or American society and people? Given what you wrote it seems interchangeable to me. I'm sure many French people think that America is a lovely country, however given the red tape involved in obtaining legal work status in the US I also have to wonder why any French person would want to live and work there as well. I also have to wonder too why anyone who also have to fork out on massive legal fees to when going to live in the US. Is this also an issue for Americans coming to Europe?
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle - have you ever been to France?

I get the impression that you are somewhere where the Homeland Committee operates yet you come out with statements like
"The French despise us"

Ever been there?
Ever done that?

Maybe the French despise USAmericans when they speak/comment and make sweeping statements based on a lack of knowledge and hearsay.

A bientot cherie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: