Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie: Protect thyself
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Newbie: Protect thyself Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest of you, but I came to this cafe to learn and meet others in a unique and interesting profession. Well, YAY ME, I found some adults in here. These people are full of information, humor, experience, etc., and they impart it gladly. A lot of this information we couldn't do without and to those who share, I extend my gratitude.

HOWEVER, there are also some real sickos in here. Angry s.o.b.s. for sure. Their posts are almost always derogatory, negative, confrontational, and pointless. Vive la difference' yeah? Okay. But if you engage any of them, you might get attacked. You will see the word "flame" used as a synonym for these attacks and/or assaults. But, it is what it is: an unwarranted attack and bordering on verbal abuse.

I would suggest that, in addition to ignoring the "blue meanies" you do not list your email address here. You can always receive private messages, and Dave can notify you when you recieve them. There is absolutely no reason to have your email posted. I wish the powers that be would remove that option, but that's not for me to decide. I can only hope.

Like I said earlier, we all come here "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" with excitement that we will meet like-minded people. What we find is a mixed bag of intelligent, friendly sorts who really do try to share useful, interesting and pertinent information, right along with the angry, burned-out, resentful idiots who have nothing more than a false sense of superiority (and maybe not so false, but who cares?) and have nothing better to do than to attack others.

Well, here's hoping I meet the smart, funny ones along the road.
Peace, Love, Happiness and welcome to the forum.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Sickos like who ? Reply with quote

BAH ! HUMBUG !
FAQ China

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: shut up and sit down Reply with quote

It's not bordering on abuse, it is abuse. And I'm on record that people who display uncivilized behavior should be unplugged. I'm not afraid to list my email address: [email protected]. If you're a newbie considering China, click here. http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=4231 The full FAQ contains many links, a job offer checklist, etc, but is not up yet. Feel free to write me for the full version. If you're one of the "blue meanies" mentioned above, shut up and sit down. Actually, you could always go home...
denise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetOne,

I agree with you 300%. We are--or should be, in my optimistic little world--here to exchange ideas, not to trash each other. (Of course, we do not all have to agree with our fellow posters' ideas, and rational debate about such ideas is generally a good thing, but personal jabs and insults really don't contribute to any sort of rational dialog.)

d
Cobra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Scott just had to come forth and remove any doubt that you are absolutely correct!
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to your colleagues!

The problem is that these are the kinds of colleagues you'll find, for the most part, in language schools. It's slightly better in universities and colleges.

Most of my problems stemmed from colleagues - in Korea and Taiwan, fellow Americans. Other places, sometimes non-native speakers who hold HUGE grudges and hidden jealousies towards native speakers stab you in the back while smiling ever so politely.

The big world is NOT a friendly place. For many people and places, survival is still primary - and survival means social gameplaying nowadays. Keeping one's job is a high priority in this field, as it is in many.
denise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunaru--

Your point about some of the most nasty flames happening between real-life friends is all well and good (I received a PM a while ago informing me of just the same fact), but keep in mind that this thread was posted on the newbie forum--those newbies probably don't know that you and your "victims", or attackers, or whatever, are in reality close friends--since they're new to the forum, how could they know that?!? If it's all just banter among friends, then maybe you can keep it among those friends and spare the newbies?

d
double agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: meanies should write in green Reply with quote

This is a good point.

A lot of the tefl teachers are control freaks who when
they return home, either nest in Mommy and Daddy's house.
Or back to the ol bed sit and whiskey...

What the hell is wrong with my collegeaues .
Why aren' t they healthy fun loving folks.

Most are nasty backstabbing children. Why WHY WHY.

Beware newbies....when there is no welcome wagon upon
your arrival in the SCHOOL, and the teachers virtually ignore
you. The one who approaches you FIRST has no friends.

But it doesnt mean they suck. Just they got frozen out of
the loop.

And warning. GOSSIP KILLS.
dduck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunaru wrote:
Don't always take things at face value. Maintain a sense of humor and you will go far.

Wise words indeed. Especially coming from a muppet Wink

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
denise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunaru wrote:
Denise howled:
Quote:
since they're new to the forum, how could they know that?!?

Um, that's why I posted it here. Wink

Point taken...

d
Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Magnificant Manager once again you have descended from your throne on high to patronise the newbie forum with a tidbit from your forthcoming "Book of Sunaru." We are so fortunate to have this preview even before the New York Times Book Review Section!! WOW!!
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunaru has friends? Shocked
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, I think that newbies should be able to ask questions without being flamed, isn't one of the points of this forum to share infomation? And help people out?
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES.The purpose of this forum was to allow newbies to ask any question without being flamed.
I think we should try to help newbies as much as possible.I wish I had this forum to check before I ventured into a new land and new job.
Everyone has to remember that at one time we were all newbies.
Let's try to help them as much as possible.
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think where the newbie forum suffers is the more of it you read, the less you want to post... hence all those quiet registered users maybe?

It's a shame the internet, and boards such as this have to be a reflection of the world rather than a more positive alternative, which it could so easily be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: