Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Net 2004
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Net 2004 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is going to be another recruitment for nets for 2004. I've got all my stuff together but when I e-mailed them a couple of months ago they said they didn't know if they were going to recruit again for 2004. 2005 seems a long way off if I have to wait that long.
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to post the package. Yes, they will recruit. The worst case scnerio is a local school hires you for the scheme. Anyway, do not give up. Keep sending.....
Christine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I really have my heart set on Hong Kong for 2004 so you have given me some hope.
once again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on it is thus..by next year around half of the NETS will be finishing their first two year contracts. Many of the NETS I have spoken to are unhappy, so there is a good chance that there will be some who do not renew contracts for this reason or just want to go home. I certainly think it is worthwhile to keep applying.
wanderlust1066

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, NETs are recruited every two years as we all have 2-year contracts. However, there are quite a few 'rejects' from the system after the first year and also a fair number of drop-outs so there is often recruitment in what may be regarded as the second year.

Keep trying and insist on staying on the EMB's list.
foster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine.

I saw the advert for the job in November of 2001 and 2002 in the Japan Times.I didn't apply the first year. I believe they start requesting applications in Early November.

Be sure you have EVERYTHING ready to send to them. Reports about your past teaching that states where you worked, how long, what you taught and what age levels. Transcripts. Reference letters. Resume (CV). And make sure that you have ALL THE ORIGINALS!!!! Seriously, I think I lost out on some pay since one of the letters I had from a school was not THE original. GRRRRR.

Check the NET website for recruitment information. http://www.netscheme.org.hk/recruit/recruit.html
Not sure if you are secondary or Primary.

Email if you want more info.
Good luck and hope to see you in HK!
Laughing
wanderlust1066

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what this poster says about the documentation is of the utmost importance: everything must be present and proper and must all be original. Also, you need your evidence of experience so you need letters from all previous employers, etc.
Christine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info everyone. I've just checked the NET scheme website and they say don't send originals. I've just got one copy of record of service from each school and don't really want to part with the original. Also do they keep your application on file or do you have to keep resending the whole package? Is a letter reminding them of your application enough? Thanks again for all the helful information.
foster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, correct, DO NOT SEND them the originals..make a bizzilion copies of the originals and when you arrive in HK, have your originals on hand as the school and possibly the EMB at the interview will want to see them...and that includes your degree. If it is framed on a wall, you must bring it.

You will be required to give everyone and their dog and their dog's fleas a copy of your information. I have been here 2 months and I have given out at least 10 copies of my information. damn it....can't they share!?! Laughing

Anyway, DO NOT send the originals, but do come here with them and bring them to the interview should you get one.

If they have your application on file, them you can call the EMB and ask them to keep you active. I am not sure if they will or not, but you can ask.

Just be prepared for a lot of requests for paperwork and be prepared to prove all your experience.
wanderlust1066

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foster wrote:
have your originals on hand as the school and possibly the EMB at the interview will want to see them...and that includes your degree. If it is framed on a wall, you must bring it.

And it must be taken out of the frame so that it can be authenticated. Once these pieces of documentation are certified originals, all photocopies will bear that stamp and it will become easier.

Be prepared for A LOT of viewing and checking of documents and to dedicate a LOT of time for paperwork. The attitude of the SAR of HK is that they want a certain person with certain qualifications. It is up to you to evince that you are that type of person and to show you have the pieces of paper they want and need to see with THEIR OWN EYES so as to authenticate them. If you acan not show these things, do not expect any special circumstances. If you can't show what they want, they will move on to the next person on the list. And believe me, contrary to what the 'teachers' in China say, there is no shortage of prospective teachers queueing up for 30, 40, 50, or 60 thousand HK dollars a month with 3 months paid holiday a year and a 15% bonus upon succesful completion of the 2-year contract (this pays your tax and gives you a nice 2 or 3 month holiday).
Christine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your replies. Since I got my degree many years ago and have moved houses and countries several times I have lost the original copy but I have a certificate from the university saying when I attended and when I graduated. Will that be good enough?
ryuro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine,

I'm only commenting from my wife's experience when she went through the whole "hiring ordeal" last time.

The folks at the EMB are EXTREMELY ANAL to say the least and I think the others who've already posted on this thread have said as much.

Whatever documentation you have, must conform EXACTLY to the style they request. If this certificate you have in ANY WAY lacks any of the necessary information and proper seals/signatres it's useless.

My wife had her original Dip Ed. document and B.A. to show them at the interview, but for whatever reason her BA did not exactly state her major nor did it appear on her transcript. This necessitated us contacting her university and tracking down someone who could send her a certifide document listing this information.

In another example, the principal at her most previous employer neglected to mention that her position was indeed fulltime (although quite obvious when you see the document as a whole), but without this one word they were going to disqualify this full year of service at an established British school. Fortunately we were able to get an ammended record.

I guess you can see the point in all this. If they request particular documents and they say they must have your FULL NAME and birth date or any other info, and you don't currently have these documents or in the form the request, you'd by wise to starting tracking them down or getting ammended documents now- 'cause the absolutely won't accept anything else.

Cheers,
ryuro
foster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisitn, I agree with what ryuro said. Get letters from the uni that states VERY CLEARLY what your degree is, how many hours of internship or practice teaching you did, what you studied, what you majored in, how long the program was, what degree you got at the end, mother's maiden name, urine sample and blood of a virgin goat..oh, ok, maybe the last few are not so necessary, but they SERIOUSLY want EVERYTHING from you.

You may want to look into getting a replacement certificate, since they could be THAT ANAL.

Ryuro is also right that it must be PERFECT in the manner THEY want it. ONe slight variation and its a no go.
wanderlust1066

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine wrote:
Since I got my degree many years ago and have moved houses and countries several times I have lost the original copy but I have a certificate from the university saying when I attended and when I graduated. Will that be good enough?

Not unless it clearly states in the paperwork that it is acceptable.

Although it can be viewed as annoying, remember it is, ultimately, in order to protect you from the fakers!
Christine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all the really useful information. I can see that I still have quite a lot of work to do to get my application ready but I'm so grateful to people who have shared their knowledge so I can maybe avoid some pitfalls and frustration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: