Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toowoomba and USQ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Toowoomba and USQ Reply with quote

Hello there!

I will be moving to Toowoomba in Feb 2004 to attend USQ.

Question Any recommendations on accommodation?
Idea I need opinions about Student Village, Unilink Village, The Dorms and other available options.

Question What is it like there?
Question What do you think of USQ?

Regards,

The Hammer Laughing
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: well, if you like cows.... Reply with quote

Quote:
What is it like there?
What do you think of USQ?

Toowoomba is a beef town about 2 hours west of Brisbane. You don't say where you're from, or if you know Australia at all, so Brisbane is the capital of one of the northern states of Australia, Queensland.

It can get very cold during the winter months, and stiflingly hot during the summer. Some people find the Toowoomba locals a little, well, dull because it is a farming community. I have never lived in Toowoomba, but have lived in similar types of communities in other parts of Australia, and while they can take a little getting used to, the people can be some of the most lovely, down to earth people you could hope to meet. If you're into it, there's a huge flower festival at some point in the year, at Easter I think.

USQ is well regarded in the Australian educational industry. Not sure, but they might be one of the 'Group of 8', which is a group the most respected universities in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Lozwich.
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozwich,
Could you shed some more light on the "Group of 8"? I can guess a number of them: USQ, UNE, Macquarie, Deakin, but who else?
What do you know about UTS?
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you shed some more light on the "Group of 8"? I can guess a number of them: USQ, UNE, Macquarie, Deakin, but who else?
What do you know about UTS?

Now that I think a little more about it, I think the Group of 8 is more about research than teaching excellence. I used to work at UQ, and they are a member. At press things, which I used to go to a lot of (yawn), they were always banging on about how they are a member of Group of 8 and how their research standards are wonderful and so on and so forth.

From the Go8 website:
Quote:
The Group of Eight represent Australia's leading universities.
Membership of the group consists of the vice-chancellors (presidents) of: The University of Adelaide, The Australian National University, The University of Melbourne, Monash University, The University of New South Wales, The University of Queensland, The University of Sydney and The University of Western Australia.

Then there's this thing called Universitas21, which is also more about research than teaching (although the two are connected..), but on an international scale. I think its seen as a sign of prestige to be members of these two groups, especially if the university has a high output of research findings.

As for UTS, I think its a great place, but I haven't had much to do with it in recent years. What are you thinking of studying there? They used to have a fantastic media/multimedia department and were doing highly innovative things in the areas of digital technology and education. I know someone who works there as a marine biologist also... Smile

Does that help?

Lozwich.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lozwich.
I am thinking of doing an MA in ELT by distance. Their program is set up for teachers who are currently in Japan. It looks like a good, well-rounded program.
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: well, if you like cows.... Reply with quote

Lozwich

Thanks for the response!
lozwich

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: as we say in Australia.... Reply with quote

NO worries!!!!

Very Happy
DrBen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Toowoomba. USQ had a chance to join the University of Queensland when the Darling Downs Institute of Education changed to university status (USQ). Unfortunately USQ got off to a somewhat ludicrous start. It was associated with pompous nepotistic right wing politicians. Several lowly rated academics were granted the title of full professor. Australian universities are graded in six categories of excellence. University of Queensland is 1, USQ 6. USQ has a good reputation for distance education, but distance education is poorly regarded in academia. USQ is a pleasant place but it would have done a lot better had it joined UQ and shared that institution's vast facilities.

Toowoomba is one of Australia's famous schools cities with very good private and state schools. The smartest school leavers head for UQ, not USQ.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We referred to USQ as "BLU" or Bush League University LOL!!

The university sucked on many levels and I would never recommend USQ or Toowoomba. From under published/experienced instructors and unmotivated staff, it was a backward place to study. A couple of really friendly teachers in my department who were very helpful, though.

USQ, oddly enough, has a ton of foreign students.

White Toowoomba is just not ready for that.

I'd also recommend U of Q or Queensland Univ. of Techonology or schools in Melbourne.

Toowoomba is not a place you want to be for any length of time.
Thos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Toowoomba and USQ Reply with quote

I have worked at USQ and agree with the comments made by the other posters. It has a reputation as a university of last resort and good students go elsewhere. It has one of the largest foreign student enrolments in Australia with the majority coming from Malaysia and Singapore. There are several reasons for this including the granting of generous exemptions (credits) for previous studies and the ability to complete all or most of the degree by distance education. The University has forged some somewhat dubious partnerships with overseas commercial agencies who agressively recruit students.
Hope this helps.
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have to disagree with the previous posters, but I am currently doing an MA with USQ by distance and have found everything to be of high quality. It certainly is nothing like you have described IMO. The profs 90% of the time have been helpful and are knowledgeable. The support has been amazing. The workload is tough and I know that I put in twice the hours that a friend of mine is doing in his Masters from a different Oz uni.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
The profs 90% of the time have been helpful and are knowledgeable.

There are no "Profs" in the Applied Linguistics Dpt (Assistant Professor Mangubhai is the head).

The rest are merely lecturers mostly with M.A. degrees through distance. A couple of Ph.D holders but not related to SLA.

Do a google on the teaching staff there and you won't come up with much published work - except for Manguhbai.

Poorly organzied program and low quality.

Sorry to have to disagree with Gordon re the quality of USQ distance programs but his experience is in stark contrast to mine and several others I know.

On campus study is no better, unfortunately.
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, tell me RPD:
Dr. Jeong-Bae Son (PhD in Applied Linguistics)
Dr. Aniko Hatoss (PhD in Applied Linguistics)

These are fictitious characters? Very Happy

Poorly organized? You're joking. Everything is clear and the coordinator Bronwen has been incredibly helpful.

You don't like USQ, that's fine with me.
I am happy and I know a few others as well who have finished their Masters or are currently doing one.

I'm done with this pissing contest.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like a bit of a defensive goon on this subject, Gordon.

Fact is you're studying at one of the worst schools you could have and now you feel stupid.

Yeah, I know those instructors and I mentioned in my earlier post that they hold Ph.D degrees - so what? They aren't involved in SLA research.

I also know several USQ students right now who are unhappy with the program.

Gordon, did you not read the posts above re USQ? I wasn't the only one with a negative report on the school and program.

Do what you want - It's Your time, energy and future your spending on this.

And, Gordon, the fact that your doing a course work M.A. as well as doing it through distance learning, speaks volumes about your level of common sense!

LOL!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice Paddy Daddy,
What schols would you recommend? I got accepted to LTU, is that one good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: