Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanoi folks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightwing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Hanoi folks Reply with quote

Hey there,
I'm planning on showin' up in Hanoi in early july to look for a 6-12month contract. Just got back from a few months in Seoul, getting my tesol certificate and workin at a pre-school. 20 million people and a starbucks on every corner wasn't what i was lookin for. The people are great, but you'll have that anywhere.
So, if your in Hanoi let me know what the latest happenings are, job hunting tips and the like.
We need to get this Vietnam board movin.........
Shocked
Nightwing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just me in this cold box. Just me and my friend albert, who seems to be some type of beatle, a stink bug from the smell of him. Anyway, here we are trapped in this box for 3 months now, nothing but Dave's cafe to sustain us and the activity is enough to keep a whole flock of attack stink beatles going for quite some time.

Are there really no Hanoi folks reading on this forum?
How about a PM?
Come on, I won't hurt you, just want some good info.
Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in H.C.M.C. for two months in July and August - I have now been teaching in China for the past 5 months. From what I learned when I was there - it is the same in Hanoi - demand is high for English teachers however they do not hire over the Internet. You have to show up with your resume in your hand and you will soon find work anywhere in Vietnam.

I think Hanoi would be a much nicer place to live long term than Saigon.

You do not get air fares refunded or accommodation provided as a rule but that is easy to find also.

From what I gathered and what I was offered, was an hourly rate in U.S. Dollars paid each Saturday in local currency. You can work as little or as much as you like. I was going to opt for 3 hours per day - 6 to 9 p.m. so that I had adults and so that I was free during the days to visit the Orphanage I was volunteering at.

Best of luck

[email protected]
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Hanoi Folks Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea where best to stay in Hanoi? What are the best places to hang out?
mjed9

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've noticed no-one seems to be willing to chat anything about Hanoi ... I am intrigued and have already decided to go to discover for myself and once I do I shall be happy to furnish people with my findings ...

On the downside, I am not going until next January Sad as I shall stick out my contract in Taipei Sad
Nightwing

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's a conspiracy. They tell us nothing and keep their oasis free from the hordes of folks that would spoil the tranquility.
Or, they're so poor they can't afford computers???
Oh! perhaps, all the teachers are kidnapped held until brainwashed into silence.

Regardless I plan on finding out for myself soon enough.
August I think.
Anyone else headin soon?
mjed9 in January?
catweasle

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: August Reply with quote

Unless a really (really!) plum job comes up for me in China, I will be heading to Ha Noi in July / August. Not quite sure what to expect...guess I'll just wait and find out!
gjan45

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there in early August. I'm not worried at all or expecting anything in terms of what is going to happen. It's all a mystery to me and I like to keep it that way.
Nightwing

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
You all headin to Hanoi or elsewhere.
Perhaps we could all meet at some point in those first few months.
A support group? No. Drinkin buddies.
When I was in seoul, some of the most entertaining people I met were from Dave's.
catweasle

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: YEP! Reply with quote

Absoooluuutely! Sounds like a jolly good idea... and something to think about as I plod (plod? CRAWL..... whatever ... ) through these last few weeks.....roll on end of semester.
Hyo-Shin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no..no..don't leave me out...i'm finally blowing off korea for warmer pastures...stick around vietnam's gonna be swwweeeeeetttt Wink
gjan45

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyo-Shin wrote:
no..no..don't leave me out...i'm finally blowing off korea for warmer pastures...stick around vietnam's gonna be swwweeeeeetttt Wink

I hear ya brotha , It's gonna be a sweeeeeeeettttt ride!!!! Wink Cool
lexpat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Hanoi Impressions Reply with quote

I've been here almost a week now and think Hanoi is probably the prettiest city I've found in SEA. I taught for two years in Bangkok and started this year with three months of teaching in Phnom Penh. I plan to look for work here or in Saigon. (I recently spent a couple months in Saigon before coming north).

My first impressions are almost entirely positive. The lake in the 'historical centre,' is beautiful and the place seems more like a Euro 'old town' than the typical SEA hodgepodge of Chinese chophouses and brand new modernist boxes. For Americans out there (or Western Canadians), think Portland, OR, or Victoria, BC. The place is cozy that way, but also a little close, i.e culturally claustrophobic.

As a member of the great, millennial, San Francisco diaspora set in motion by the arrival of the dreaded Dot Com People, I know plenty of folks who moved to cozy, culturally claustrophobic cities, expecially in the Northwest of the USA. They are great for a short time, as I think Hanoi might be. But unless you're planning on getting married, settling down and living a Fine and Home Centered Life in Aesthetic Splendour, I dunno.

I also know a bunch of people who moved to LA/NY and have to say those people all seemed to have stayed...something about being able to get good jobs and select their friends from a larger pool of possibilities, I suspect. I know a half dozen people who've taught in Hanoi...and to my surprise now that I've seen the burg...most later moved on to Saigon or Bangkok. When I've asked why, they all point to the way people are more available, the weather better, and the population more diverse. (Hmm. sounds like they were looking for 'a city' with all the cosmopolitanism that implies).

More later about jobs...they are available, that much I know. But if you're looking to distance yourself from China I would think Saigon or Bkk, with their nightlife, thrustable female population and more easy going style would be the ticket.
gjan45

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hanoi Impressions Reply with quote

lexpat wrote:
I've been here almost a week now and think Hanoi is probably the prettiest city I've found in SEA. I taught for two years in Bangkok and started this year with three months of teaching in Phnom Penh. I plan to look for work here or in Saigon. (I recently spent a couple months in Saigon before coming north).

My first impressions are almost entirely positive. The lake in the 'historical centre,' is beautiful and the place seems more like a Euro 'old town' than the typical SEA hodgepodge of Chinese chophouses and brand new modernist boxes. For Americans out there (or Western Canadians), think Portland, OR, or Victoria, BC. The place is cozy that way, but also a little close, i.e culturally claustrophobic.

As a member of the great, millennial, San Francisco diaspora set in motion by the arrival of the dreaded Dot Com People, I know plenty of folks who moved to cozy, culturally claustrophobic cities, expecially in the Northwest of the USA. They are great for a short time, as I think Hanoi might be. But unless you're planning on getting married, settling down and living a Fine and Home Centered Life in Aesthetic Splendour, I dunno.

I also know a bunch of people who moved to LA/NY and have to say those people all seemed to have stayed...something about being able to get good jobs and select their friends from a larger pool of possibilities, I suspect. I know a half dozen people who've taught in Hanoi...and to my surprise now that I've seen the burg...most later moved on to Saigon or Bangkok. When I've asked why, they all point to the way people are more available, the weather better, and the population more diverse. (Hmm. sounds like they were looking for 'a city' with all the cosmopolitanism that implies).

More later about jobs...they are available, that much I know. But if you're looking to distance yourself from China I would think Saigon or Bkk, with their nightlife, thrustable female population and more easy going style would be the ticket.

Speaking for myself I can tell you that Hanoi sounds like the place I want to be in. I know Saigon has a far better nightlife than Hanoi and the weather is more pleasant, but I lived 10 years of my life in a tropical island (Puerto Rico) and although it is my first home and I love it, I'm tired of sun 24/7. Where I am currently at in China most ppl don't like the weather, it can be brutally cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, but I like it because you have a change of seasons. New York is a great city to party in Believe me I know!!!! but it's not a place I would choose to live in, not for long term.

Of course I'm well aware that I could change my mind and for all I know end up in Saigon instead of Hanoi but for now I would like to be there and experience it for myself. Smile

I'm playing everything by ear, I don't know how I'm going to feel when I get there and once I have been in the place for a certain period of time but something tells me it's all gonna be good!!!!!! Cool
d-d-d-dom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm turning up in Hanoi next week - just a few questions....

1) Is there an ANZ bank in Hanoi?

2) Do schools require your original CELTA certificate / degree / references or will copies do?

3) Is the dress code usually white shirt and tie or smart / casual?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: