Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American moving to Germany (M�nster)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erictwelve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: American moving to Germany (M�nster) Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am an American that is moving to Germany in July. I plan on bringing 5000 euro with me to start off, and once I get there I will begin looking for work. I have been thinking about this for about a year now, and considering all the troubles that face non-EU citizens trying to live in Europe, but despite this, I am convinced that if I don�t try it now I will regret it in the future.

So my plan is to stay with friends (living in M�nster) for a few weeks while I look for work. I know I will have to be out of the country in 90 days without a resident visa. I understand that non-EU citizens have to prove that they can do a better job than an EU citizen can before they can get hired. I know I will have to learn German to survive there.

I know that teaching English is one option for work, but I also know that it�s extremely difficult to find work in this field, and even if I do find work, I will probably not be getting paid that much. Also, I am worried that the opportunities for advancement in this field are small. There are CELTA programs in Hamburg and Berlin, but these programs will cost me about 2000 euro to get certified, and I am pretty sure that it will still not make it a whole lot easier for me to find a job. Also, I am not convinced that teaching would be a fulfilling line of work for me, but I have also never tried teaching before. Of course it can vary from teaching kids and adults, and what kind of teaching I would be doing, but I would be willing to try it, and worse case scenario I realize that it�s not for me and try something else (though I will down a few thousands dollars as well..)

My question is, then, should I go for the certification or just try and find work elsewhere? What is the best way for a foreigner to find work? Would it maybe be better for me to get a language visa and try and find work while studying German in language classes (my German is minimal.. though I�m quite willing to learn, I think I would learn best while in Germany)?

I have a Bachelor�s degree in English, but I�m not sure how much that will help me in the job market. I would like to stay in M�nster, but if this doesn�t work I�d be willing to move elsewhere. I also have student loans to pay for (I pay about $175 a month now), so I would need enough to pay for rent, food, and for my bills at home.

Again, I understand that this is a big risk (almost reckless). I am trying to be realistic about this decision, but at the same time I feel like it�s something I always wanted to do (live aboard, learn an new language, experience a different culture) and if I don't at least try for it, I will regret it. I hate the job I have now, and sometimes I really feel like I can't go another day doing the kind of work I do now. The thought of moving to Europe is what keeps me going there every day.

Basically, what would you advise someone who knows the risks are great, but despite this plans on making the move anyway? Is there work available for native English speakers (non-EU)with minimal knowledge of German? Maybe some American companies or subsidiaries? Is TEFL the best way to find work, or are there better fields for English speakers? Would I really just be better off not trying this at all?

Feel free to crush my dreams of actually going through with this, but I would really appreciate some advice from everyone here.. going on the assumption that I will go through with it regardless of the discouraging facts that tell me I shouldn�t even try.

Thanks everyone!
sherrymole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I am not convinced that teaching would be a fulfilling line of work for me, but I have also never tried teaching before.

Why not volunteer to teach or tutor, or take a teaching course, in the U.S., first? That way, you can find out if ESL/EFL is fulfilling for you. You can avoid wasting your own time and money, and the time and money of potential paying students in Germany (or anywhere) if it isn't the job for you. If you find out that it is for you, that's great.

If you really want to go to Germany, go there, study German, and hang out with your friends. Don't use a job that you don't seem to be interested in to get you there.

Is the work you are currently doing something that you could do in Germany? (You didn't mention what this horrible job is.)
renovatio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang eric you're pretty pessimistic, I don't any of the naysayers can come on here and top what you wrote Smile

I live near a couple Berlitz centers, and I think I'm going to ask if I can get pre-trained before I go to Germany, and possibly even do some volunteer work for them if they will allow it.

Remember, you don't need start physically working, you only need to get the letter(s) of intent from an employer to get the visa which will extend you 90 day stay. Even if you don't get a lot of hours at first you have plenty of money to tide you over. How long are your friends willing to let you stay? Are there any language centers in the area?

You're right about regretting it, you will, I promise. You and I are in the same boat, and we're going at about the same time. If I go, it will be till the end of July, right before the hiring starts for ESL jobs. From what I've read your BA in English will definitely help you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f I go, it will be till the end of July, right before the hiring starts for ESL jobs.

I'm one of the regular nay-sayers, but the OP seems pretty realistic here, so no need to throw out the regular warnings. The reason for normal warnings is to be sure newbies know that they face very serious challenges, that they need a decent level of savings, and that they should be aware it may not work out in the end. You've got all that, so good luck to you, truly Very Happy

However, on the topic of timing: you might want to reconsider the above.
Europeans take their August holidays very seriously - you may well not get anyone to talk to you until the first of September. In that case, at least 30 of your 90 days will already have ticked by.

I suggest you might try contacting language schools in the city where you're going to start looking for work, and ask when you might be able to set up interviews with them. If the answer is August, you've got it right. However, I suspect the answer will likely be September - and in that case you will give yourself maximum chances if you delay your arrival until the end of August, thus facing a time limit of end November before your 90 days runs out.
renovatio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again spiral, I will be planning an escape route out of Germany and I will go with the intent of returning in 90 days. Also, I've settled on the end of July or very early August because I haven't been to Germany in almost five years and I'm not going to do anything there for the first three weeks but drink their beer, eat their cheese, and bread, and talk mit die Deutsche Frauen, whom I miss greatly. I know this may lessen my chances but what can I say, I'm young and reckless. I also have some other professional contacts in other fields in Germany that I will be talking to shortly after arriving, but like I said I will be prepared to leave with a 90 day round trip ticket. I can always get my old job making $8USD/Hour if all else fails. I probably won't though because I didn't like it.

I do appreciate your cautioning though spiral, I know there is no way you can just come on here and say "heck yeah! go for it you'll be fine!" because that is unreal, I understand. And actually I've only seen one other person with mine and eric's same credentials on here that is making it in Germany, but I say if they can do so can I.

Hey eric sorry if I hijacked your thread, spiral and I go way back Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you, truly. Let us know how it goes - hopefully another of our rare success stories.

In any case, beer and bread and frauleins....you can't totally lose any way you look at it Very Happy
renovatio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always USAjobs.gov and AAFES if you don't mind working at a large retail store which is something like a wal-mart. This is what I did the last time I was in Germany, and what you get is a SOFA card which exempts you from any Schengen stipulation.

Right before I decided to leave I actually got called about a better job through USAjobs.gov, it was watching over a rec center, so there are other options. I'd recommend putting your resume into USAjobs.gov with your friends German address just before you get on the plain, and if you're not too particular about where you want to be in Germany there are actually quite a few jobs listed. Most jobs listed on USAjobs.gov and AAFES are DoD civilian jobs so this means you will probably be around quite a few US soldiers, and basically working for the military, so I don't know if you want to do something like that, but it will keep you in Germany legit until you can find something better.
aces

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renovatio wrote:
There is always USAjobs.gov and AAFES if you don't mind working at a large retail store which is something like a wal-mart.

The times I checked USAjobs, it looked like those retail jobs were reserved for current Defense Dept. employees or military spouses. The jobs on base that were available to anyone required high-level management experience or health-care credentials. Have things changed, or was I looking in the wrong place?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're correct.
renovatio

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are incorrect. This is one thing that I do have experience with in Germany. Veterans, and spouses do have priority over you, but does not mean that you can't get a job. Post your resume on USAjobs.gov's resumix system, be in Germany, and make phone calls. I was called by a job off of USAjobs.gov with a job offer, right before I left Germany, and back then I had no college degree, and no military connections. I didn't take the job because I was leaving, but still. You can start with AAFES to make contacts, but you have to move somewhere in southern Germany because the ones north are smaller and drying up. AAFES list their HR numbers right on their website, but be in Germany ready to go before you call. I plan on posting my resume to USAjobs right before I leave.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. Not 'limited to' but primarily/firstly offered to....
And you're right - contacts in the area are very important.

I do know something about AAFES, having wored in the network on a NATO project a few years back.

It IS a possibility, but again the economy plays a role just now - there are generally fewer around and that tightens up opportunities all over.

In any case, I really wish both of you good luck and hope you'll let us know how things go for you this autumn.
athenssoest

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erictwelve,

Are you in Munster yet? Have you managed to find some sort of work?

Let me know how it goes! I used to live near Munster and absolutley LOVED that city. With it being such a large university city, you should be able to scare up some freelance work at the least.

Good luck!
ETA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renovatio wrote:
There is always USAjobs.gov and AAFES if you don't mind working at a large retail store which is something like a wal-mart. This is what I did the last time I was in Germany, and what you get is a SOFA card which exempts you from any Schengen stipulation.

Right before I decided to leave I actually got called about a better job through USAjobs.gov, it was watching over a rec center, so there are other options. I'd recommend putting your resume into USAjobs.gov with your friends German address just before you get on the plain, and if you're not too particular about where you want to be in Germany there are actually quite a few jobs listed. Most jobs listed on USAjobs.gov and AAFES are DoD civilian jobs so this means you will probably be around quite a few US soldiers, and basically working for the military, so I don't know if you want to do something like that, but it will keep you in Germany legit until you can find something better.

Jobs such as retail store clerk, rec center clerk, etc. pay min wage $ instead of Euros. How were you able to stay afloat on such a tight income? Was housing provided with your job?
renovatio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rent was 150 euro, and I found food to be very cheap compared to California overall. I made about 700 euro a month, and had about 150-200 euro a month of spending cash. I also had a car, but since I worked for the US I paid US gas prices, but what got me was the insurance. I paid about 125 USD a month for insurance, if it wasn't for that I would've had some more spending cash. I couldn't do everything, but I did travel for really cheap on those midnight trains and ryanair, and with friends. I obviously couldn't do everything I wanted to do, but I did a lot.

For those people telling you, "you need a certain amount to get by here", don't listen, income is relative to lifestyle, if you can simply do with an extended backpacker with a room lifestyle you'll be fine. If you feel you need certain luxuries, well then....that might be a different story.

Hey erictwelve when you get a chance I wouldn't mind hearing how you're doing over there either.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that non-EU citizens have to prove that they can do a better job than an EU citizen can before they can get hired.

Not quite the case. Your employer has to show that there was no EU applicant available for the post, possible owing to some unique qualification that thins out the applicant list. Being better at the job does not necessarily come into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: