Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up a school
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelNick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Start up a school Reply with quote

Has anyone tried, or heard about anyone trying to set up a their own private school (language institute) here in Colombia?
Montanaland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: I'd run with it Reply with quote

I'd run with it nick! Find a cheap local with a few rooms or start in your own apt. building up yor student base.

Then fliers, ads, refferals..all the fun marketing stuff! You could also offer executive tutoring to Colombia's big companies. Finally, a few teachers even Colombians under you and your on auto pilot or closer to it! Smile

I'm sure Colombia's visa restrictions don't hold a candle to Uzbekistan's!!
travelNick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Montanaland! Already done it and moving ahead nicely Very Happy It wasn't so difficult after all.
gynot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: How's it going... Reply with quote

So I'm curious, which city did you set up in, how hard was it, and how is it going now that you've been in business for a few months?

Tony
travelNick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tony, thanks for your interest.

Well, I set up in Bogota, and it was pretty easy actually - a few forms and I was registered with the local Chamber of Commerce. The banks have been a bit of a pain, however nothing major.

Things are going really well. I've actually only been in operation a few weeks, but I already have too many students and need to turn people away. All in all, glad I decided to do it here in Bogota.
PhilDuval

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good on yer! i hope it goes well!
CountBassD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelNick wrote:

Well, I set up in Bogota, and it was pretty easy actually - a few forms and I was registered with the local Chamber of Commerce. The banks have been a bit of a pain, however nothing major.

Things are going really well. I've actually only been in operation a few weeks, but I already have too many students and need to turn people away. All in all, glad I decided to do it here in Bogota.

I'll be finishing my CELTA in Bogota in October, I'd like to check out your new school and possibly work with you in some capacity?
Cece

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Looking for a job as an English teacher Reply with quote

travelNick wrote:

Hi travelNick!

Glad to hear you managed to set up a language school!

I've just finished the CELTA course and will be moving to Bogota in October to hopefully work as an English teacher.

Are you still looking for more staff?

Best,

Celine
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a relaxed, easy job without a visa, work for Peterson's. If you want a more stressful and frustrating, but still not too hard job that gives you a visa, work for international house. Otherwise, make contacts and get on someplace better.
UrbanBedowin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you travelNick in starting up in Colombia. I'm hoping to start up a school next year and the paper work is a massive pain. First we have to submit the curriculum to the ministry of education and get it approved, then another mountain of paper work awaits.

As far as work goes, Peterson can get you started or if you don't mind working annoying hours of the day and hopping on and off buses. IH can get you going with visa too. If you want a visa quickly and you don't want to travel here and there for classes and your able to put up with late payments etc then you can check out the Meyer Institute.

Last edited by UrbanBedowin on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martillo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very interested to read this thread. Could you provide any more details about your school? Such as:

What were your start-up costs?

How easy was it to get your enrollment up at first?

Have there been any problems with bureaucracy or regulations after starting?

Would you have done anything differently if you had it to do over again?

I hope you can respond to my questions! And good luck in your new school!
gynot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: almost a year Reply with quote

Nick,

Its been almost a year since your first posting. How goes your english school in Colombia?

Tony
posh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: almost a year Reply with quote

gynot wrote:
Nick,

Its been almost a year since your first posting. How goes your english school in Colombia?

Tony

They don't have the www in jail Smile
travelNick

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it's been so long since I've checked up here! An update then:

The school is still going well, and we are still saving. We are currently looking for new premises to start up fantastic group classes!

It's been a while because I decided from the start to make everything self-funded. That is, the school makes money - it expands. It doesn't make money - it doesn't expand. No loans or any loco ideas like that from Colombian money-lenders. For this reason, it's taken a little longer than some other start-ups to get moving, but I've learned a lot that's for sure.

OFFICIALLY STARTING A SCHOOL - It's easy. Just go to the local Chamber of Commerce (Camara de Comercio) and ask a few questions, sign a few forms and voila - you can have your school's name and economic activity registered in Bogota. You do need a Colombian "business" partner though (or a C.E.).

BOOKS - Colombia is bad for this. The only descent distributor is PearsonLongman (who happen to be very close to my house). If you order from overseas expect to pay tax in that country and VAT in Colombia when you receive them. Baddddd! It took me some time to get around this, but in the last few months I've got a reasonably good system. Not ideal, but it's much cheaper.

MINISTRY OF EDUCATION - Some people think having your school's courses "approved" by the MOE is important. I recently lost a BIG client because of not being approved Sad( Frankly, the MOE here is not so hot, but having a "certificate" is important to company clients (mainly local big businesses).

CONTRACTS & FOREIGNERS - I would love to legally hire foreign workers! I have some excellent Colombian nationals who grew up in the States. The official work quota is 1 foreigner to every 9 nationals, which currently inhibits me. But where there is a will... Wink The quality of local teachers is surprisingly poor, to be honest. If you want to start your own school, hire CELTA-trained teachers or do a DELTA or something yourself and be prepared to train your teachers.

PRIVATE - GROUP CLASSES - I must admit, that when I first came here 2 years ago there wasn't such a demand for higher-charging group classes. Now, in my opinion, Bogotanos are moving more towards the social nature of group classes (finally!). Just an observation of mine.

NICHE - find your niche. The BC has the reputation of being the best quality. Wall St is the "blended learning" company, and work with some garage universities. Berlitz, Peterson's, KOE, etc. etc. Try to find your niche and run with it. To know your niche though, you really have to be here.

I've learnt a few more things too, but I can't tell EVERYTHING, that would be creating more competition for me Wink

And no, I'm not in jail hahaha Although getting hitched in Catholic wedding soon - similarities? :-p
travelNick

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to the posters who are interested in jobs.

My recommendation is this:
Work for a few companies. Some pay more than others, but most usually pay - which is good. It's better to have a low-paying student than no student!

If you want a visa to stay here, well, yeah... umm it's quite difficult. Read the forum.

Foreign teachers come and go almost like the rain here, so most employers won't look at you unless you're in their office. I've received so many emails from people overseas who seem promising and great, and who never arrive... So now I only talk to people face-to-face as it were. It's just how it is, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: