Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better Lives for Mexicans Cut Allure of Going North
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Better Lives for Mexicans Cut Allure of Going North Reply with quote

Some hopeful news from Mexico for a change!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/07/06/world/americas/immigration.html?ref=global-home

Comments, please.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
�No one wants to hear it, but the flow has already stopped,� Mr. Massey said, referring to illegal traffic. �For the first time in 60 years, the net traffic has gone to zero and is probably a little bit negative.�

About Mexicans specifically. I'm surprised by this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Lives for Mexicans Cut Allure of Going North Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Some hopeful news from Mexico for a change!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/07/06/world/americas/immigration.html?ref=global-home
Comments, please.

Very well done article. I have been saying the same thing for years, but of course, that�s just based on anecdotal information, not hard research like this is. I know my father�s generation was able to go to the US and work legally, and at the time it was fairly easy to achieve residency (and later citizenship) by serving in the military, which is what he did. But things have changed dramatically in the last 20 years, and continue to change. While the US is on the way down, Mexico is on the way up. Problems nothwithstanding, Mexico is changing and advancing. Thanks for posting that article.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Teresa. As the daughter of a legal Mexican immigrant to the US, you have a very personal interest in the subject of the article.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pleased to hear that they are granting more tourist visas as well--may be time to schedule an appointment for a certain someone in my life.
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you�re interested in following this series on changes in immigration further, you may want to note that journalist Damien Cave is also soliciting questions http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/reader-qa-upending-immigration-in-mexico/ or on Twitter @damiencave #ImmigrationUpended or here: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/immigration-reconsidered-damien-cave-answers-readers-questions/
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
You're welcome, Teresa. As the daughter of a legal Mexican immigrant to the US, you have a very personal interest in the subject of the article.

Yeah, and I�ve seen the other side too. Small towns all over Zacatecas that have very few young men because they are in the US working. That was one of the reasons I have believed that immigration is slowing, in, say, the last 5 years, there are more and more men in the small towns.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

Yeah, and I�ve seen the other side too. Small towns all over Zacatecas that have very few young men because they are in the US working. That was one of the reasons I have believed that immigration is slowing, in, say, the last 5 years, there are more and more men in the small towns.

I recall visiting Zacatecas maybe 20 years ago and visiting a small town near the capital (can't remember the name). We were told by our guide that most of its young men had left for the US to work. I was surprised (and saddened) by this information.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:

I recall visiting Zacatecas maybe 20 years ago and visiting a small town near the capital (can't remember the name). We were told by our guide that most of its young men had left for the US to work. I was surprised (and saddened) by this information.

Yes, that is true of small towns all over Mexico, there just aren�t enough jobs, or in some places, any jobs. That is slowing changing as chain stores begin to move into some of the towns. In the town where we have our little house, a Bodege Aurrora opened last year, supplying around 300 jobs. Not the best jobs in the world, but life in a small town can be very inexpensive, so not bad. That�s 300 people who don�t need to leave. I think that will continue to happen. And, as pointed out, the opportunity for higher education, as well as parents� attitudes towards it, are advancing as well. Both positive things in my opinion.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I totally get what your saying there is an error in your Bodega Aurrora example. The 300 people who are working there will not have to leave, but unless that town has a whole bunch of new consumers, Bodega Aurrora will actually be pulling consumption away from the exsisting businesses either local, or tansport businesses meaning people in that town no longer travel weekly or monthly into the city to shop at other big stores. So people who had jobs in small stores will either need to move to working at Bodega Aurrora or immigrate.

But living in the Mixteca, I agree with the article--immigration has slowed--it started with September 11, after which a wave of people who were frightened by the idea of dying far from home returned. Many did go back to the otherside eventually, some did not and many more young men have found ways to stay.

A lot of young men go out of curiosity and desire for disposible income more than true ecomonic need. The ones who truely have no prospects in Mexico tend to have families already which they leave behind. And those families suffer the absence of their father (and sometimes mother) more than they suffer from lack of consumer goods, in my opinion. The social costs in intangibles is higher than the economic gain in tangiles as I see it.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
While I totally get what your saying there is an error in your Bodega Aurrora example. The 300 people who are working there will not have to leave, but unless that town has a whole bunch of new consumers, Bodega Aurrora will actually be pulling consumption away from the exsisting businesses either local, or tansport businesses meaning people in that town no longer travel weekly or monthly into the city to shop at other big stores. So people who had jobs in small stores will either need to move to working at Bodega Aurrora or immigrate.

A lot of young men go out of curiosity and desire for disposible income more than true ecomonic need. The ones who truely have no prospects in Mexico tend to have families already which they leave behind. And those families suffer the absence of their father (and sometimes mother) more than they suffer from lack of consumer goods, in my opinion. The social costs in intangibles is higher than the economic gain in tangiles as I see it.

In the specific town I am talking about, it will help the people in that town more than nearer large cities, yes, because they were either going to the larger town as you said, once a week, or once every couple of weeks. But in a lot of cases they were just doing without things they would have bought if they had been available. So it is a mixed bag, of course there is only so much money and so many customers to go around, so likely the money is just moving around to a certain extent. And I totally agree with your point about the families staying together. I do know a few families where both parents went for a year, worked like the devil and then saved enough to build a house in Mexico. So that could be a positive because not having to pay rent or for a house is obviously going to put you in a better economic position. But I think those are probably the exception.
fladude

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait 10 years until the US Dollar becomes the next Peso (Peso of the 1980s anyway), then no one will want to come here. We will be going to Mexico to get a job or to escape American "health care."
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fladude wrote:
Wait 10 years until the US Dollar becomes the next Peso (Peso of the 1980s anyway), then no one will want to come here. We will be going to Mexico to get a job or to escape American "health care."

Coming to Mexico for health care is already big business. In the last year I have seen several advertisements for packages to come and have elective surgery or dental work. Even with the cost of the flight, hotel and everything you can still end up saving thousands of dollar.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
fladude wrote:

Coming to Mexico for health care is already big business. In the last year I have seen several advertisements for packages to come and have elective surgery or dental work. Even with the cost of the flight, hotel and everything you can still end up saving thousands of dollar.

My excellent dentist, whose consultorio is not in an elegant part of town, has told me that he has a number of foreign patients from the US (and elsewhere) who come yearly for dental care. As BBB wrote above, even with travel expenses, they still save a bundle!
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some additional reading on the topic.

http://cohaforum.org/2011/07/28/mexico%E2%80%99s-improving-education-and-declining-emigration/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: