Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another Huge BLOW to Mex Tourism!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Yet Another Huge BLOW to Mex Tourism! Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/carnival-cruise-passengers-robbed-gunpoint-mexico-161434398--abc-news.html

For the last few years, fewer and fewer cruise ships have been calling at Mexican ports... I am SURE that this will increase even more rapidly now.

Carnival is the largest owner/operator of cruise ships in the world, I am sure we can expect to see some major shifts in their fleet becuase of this incident.

BTW, don't say how this was a one-time thing, and with all the violence in Mexico, this is only becoming more and more common. Cruise lines will NOT make port calls in countries that are unsafe or that can't insure the safety of guests.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Huge BLOW to Mex Tourism! Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
BTW, don't say how this was a one-time thing, and with all the violence in Mexico, this is only becoming more and more common. Cruise lines will NOT make port calls in countries that are unsafe or that can't insure the safety of guests.

Right!!
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... what happened to just the facts.

Your news is old. Find the update because I can't be bothered...

The story originally ran that it was a group of evil masked men brandishing automatic weapons (you know, the 'farmer' type guys).
After all was said and done, it was purported to be 1 masked Hollywood style bandit who said very nicely they could all leave after robbing everyone of the few personal effects they had with them.

Centavos to pesos, if the group had all gone 'BOOOO' at the same time, the poor fella would have p**d his pants, dropped his gun and ran into the hills.
Quite frankly I'm more worried about these huge ships 'tipping over' because unqualified captains have bets with other yahoos as to how close they can come to a reef...

"Warn the tourists," she said, with tongue in cheek.
FACT: My coordinator was mugged two nights ago... leaving OXO at (an early) 10:30pm... of the change from 200 pesos and the cigarettes she'd just bought - first time ever. The 2 punky teenagers had been in the store with her.

I'm almost certain that anyone who tries to take my smokes and the change from my last 200 pesos at 10:30 at night in the middle of a trying week of classes has a death wish.

Dragonlady
PS: A lot of people know that Elvis isn't really dead - just really old Wink
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Centavos to pesos, if the group had all gone 'BOOOO' at the same time, the poor fella would have p**d his pants, dropped his gun and ran into the hills."

I dont think confronting ANY person with a gun is a good idea. But thats just me.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.G., sometimes people respond instinctively, and you can see what's in them. My boss was held up at gun point by two men who demanded her purse: she refused to yield it, at which point they fired a warning shot into the ground and attempted to wrestle the purse away. She still wouldn't yield. As neighbors began to appear, the two would be muggers decided they weren't going to get anywhere, and fled.

Another friend tells a similar story, minus the gun, of wrestling with a young man for her purse, on the street, and winning the tug of war.

Both women just responded with what was in them, at the moment, without thought, and it was to refuse to give in to the demands. Always a risk of a different outcome, but I admire their courage.

[I'll add that these two events are all I have to tell, and they occurred over a very wide interval of time, stretching for years. Stories like this are rare, among those I know.]
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While such actions may be valiant, they are certainly not intelligent. Bravery, in the cases you mentioned, coexists with stupidity. I can do without the heroic admiration and acknowledgement of "whats in me"..courage...mettle...whatever you want to call it. I value my life, wife, and future much more than the contents of my wallet.

In my opinion anyone willing to catch a bullet to defend the 400 pesos, drivers license, credit card, kleenex, mirror, etc. that they have in their purse or wallet really need to reconsider their priorities.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.G., it's not about a calculation, it's about a sense of self that includes resisting in such situations.

Those who don't see themselves that way don't easily understand those who do: there's room for both, but in a pinch I'd prefer to be with and among those who, as you said, display such courage.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
"Centavos to pesos, if the group had all gone 'BOOOO' at the same time, the poor fella would have p**d his pants, dropped his gun and ran into the hills."

I dont think confronting ANY person with a gun is a good idea. But thats just me.

Agree with you 110%!

And I have a lot of training and exp. in various related areas of security, military etc.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
While such actions may be valiant, they are certainly not intelligent. Bravery, in the cases you mentioned, coexists with stupidity. I can do without the heroic admiration and acknowledgement of "whats in me"..courage...mettle...whatever you want to call it. I value my life, wife, and future much more than the contents of my wallet.

In my opinion anyone willing to catch a bullet to defend the 400 pesos, drivers license, credit card, kleenex, mirror, etc. that they have in their purse or wallet really need to reconsider their priorities.

For just that reason I never carry bank cards, US issued ID cards, US DL, etc or large amounts of cash.

If you want my Mexican DL, teacher ID and $200 pesos, Merry Xmas & Feliz Navidad!
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
...it's not about a calculation, it's about a sense of self that includes resisting in such situations.

A sense of self yes but IMO more about a sense of community, a sense of humanity...

wrote:
...While such actions may be valiant, they are certainly not intelligent. Bravery, in the cases you mentioned, coexists with stupidity. I can do without the heroic admiration and acknowledgement of "whats in me"..courage...mettle...whatever you want to call it. I value my life, wife, and future much more than the contents of my wallet.

The point has been lost on some - it's not about the wallet, the smokes, or one's ego. It IS about taking back our streets (a slogan popular up north)... for my life, your life, your wife's, the lives of the kids who play here, the life of the elderly neighbour, the young teen returning home from night school....
Yes, absolutely without hesitation I'd risk my life to help out a stranger!
I wouldn't be able to sleep or look at my face in the mirror knowing I'd done nothing but turn and walk away quickly in the opposite direction.
I gladly join the ranks of the stupid brave.

wrote:
Those who don't see themselves that way don't easily understand those who do: there's room for both, but in a pinch I'd prefer to be with and among those who, as you said, display such courage.

I'm wondering if things might be a whole lot different (for the better) if more people stood up, and fewer laid down... like lambs.

DL - a granny with cajones

A thought just popped into my head - perhaps this is a mother thing - or a female thing, as more often than not it is us who are the victims of street thugs. Opinions?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos, DL...and I think fathers could agree, as I am and do.

I think all of my neighbours would also agree, as everyone knows each other and the area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:

DL - a granny with cajones

A thought just popped into my head - perhaps this is a mother thing - or a female thing, as more often than not it is us who are the victims of street thugs. Opinions?

I think you mean cOjones......unless you just need lots of storage......
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

In fact, I do indeed need a lot of storage... to keep my big cOjones in.
(GALBBB)

DL
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

In fact, I do indeed need a lot of storage... to keep my big cOjones in.
(GALBBB)

DL
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We, as members of a society, are ALWAYS calculating our actions. We calculate if we can make that amber light or if we are safer to hit the brakes. We calculate if that bank card is better left at home...just in case. We calculate our futures too; we choose our neighbourhoods based on quality of life, location, safety, etc.

Perhaps i will be a victim of a robbery once or twice in my life. What sane person would throw away everything to make a moral stance at that moment? Its not about getting it or not, having courage or not, believing in community or not, taking back the streets or not, its about how much one values their lives and how much one is willing to lose.

Only on Dave's could one be considered a lamb or lacking cojones for having an aversion to bullets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: