Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are all the jobs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Where are all the jobs? Reply with quote

I'm getting frustrated looking for jobs. I need to have one lined up before I arrive. There are hardly any adverts. On TEFL.com there are 10 over the past month. And some of them require British citizenship or are in Brazil, so I don't qualify and I want to go to a Spanishi speaking country.
I've been looking on TEFL.com, europa-pages, and Dave's
Are there any other good job sites out there for Latin America jobs? Or does anyone know of a school that's hiring for the late summer/early fall?
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Where are all the jobs? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I'm getting frustrated looking for jobs. I need to have one lined up before I arrive.

I hear ya... Sad
I'm coming to the end of my Indonesia contract. With my B.Sc., TEFL and a year's experience I can find a job in Asia in 15 minutes - but I really want to teach in Latin America (particularly Mexico or Costa Rica).

The prevailing advice is that I'll pretty much have to fly in and go knocking on doors to find work, but I just don't feel comfortable showing up in an unfamiliar country and begging for work. I wish it were otherwise but that seems to be the case.

I've applied to whatever jobs in Latin America I do see show up on the Internet but they seem to be few and far between - and the most of the schools I do apply to seem to be uninterested in replying.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Latin America Reply with quote

I guess schools prefer to recruit locally, hence the importance of being in the neighbourhood. Of course that's easier said than done.
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close to half of the jobs I have had in Mexico I got through the Internet off the tefl.com site. However, only once was I out of the country when a job came through--but they paid my airfare back to Mexico, so that worked out well. I can tell you that when I was hiring, I didn't hire anyone who wasn't already here--not just in the country but in the area, as last year I started having folks give a class for one of my groups as part of the hiring process. I have no idea how picky other folks are in terms of screening viable candidates, but the general trend in Mexico in the 10 plus years I have been here has been to hire from the pool of folks who turn up and apply. A lot of that has to do with planning not being a big aspect of Mexican culture.
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
I can tell you that when I was hiring, I didn't hire anyone who wasn't already here--not just in the country but in the area

I suppose it's an ideal setup for the school - but as a teacher looking to work in Latin America it bites mightily.

Finding my job in Asia was very easy: I posted my resume on tefl.com and within a few days I had to remove it because I had well over a hundred offers. I then contacted the schools and asked for references from former or current teachers. After separating the 'wheat' from the 'chaff' I had a solid job offer within a week.

It sounds like with LA I have to pick my destination, fly in on a tourist visa, look up schools in the yellow pages, and go knocking door-to-door begging for a job. It doesn't exactly sound like it's a good method of hiring for either the teachers or the schools! Shocked
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not ideal, but it's the norm here in Latin America. As for whether it's a good way to hire--I can't speak for others, but I can personally see both sides of the coin. I have seen some really marginal teachers--and marginal people, for that matter, hired through Internet with their airfare paid to Mexico so they could run away from trouble they were in back home. I have also seen that employers whom I haven't met, but only have talked with on the phone, sometimes turn out to be less than acceptable. If you are in the area, you can check out reputations of schools, etc. No hiring mechanism is perfect.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. . . but I really want to teach in Latin America (particularly Mexico or Costa Rica).
- ls650

[Based on my own experience, I can only address the Mexico aspect of this thread, not all of Latin America.]

There are lots and lots of foreign EFL teachers who would like to teach in Mexico. There are lots and lots of opportunities to teach EFL in Mexico. So, what's the problem? Why can't a person just pick from a long list of good offerings on the Internet, or simply go to a city of choice and decide which of several acceptable job offers to take?

1. As moonraven pointed out, planning ahead is not a priority here. The people responsible for hiring usually have no idea how many teachers they'll need until the last minute or later. Even if they do know somewhat in advance, there's always ma�ana to look for a teacher to hire. Fate and destiny come into this, too, but I digress.

2. The general philosophy tends to be quantity over quality. It's better to hire two locals who can do a mostly adequate job of teaching EFL than to hire one really qualified, well trained, experienced EFL teacher for the same cost, especially if it involves planning ahead (See #1.) Besides, the locals are here and ready to start any time, and they aren't likely to balk at a rather low wage offer, few hours to start out with, and several other things that most foreign applicants would question.

3. Some areas of Mexico are quite closed to outsiders. I live in one of those places. Locals don't trust outsiders very much. (Locals don't trust other locals very much either, for that matter, but they trust outsiders even less.) It puts local employers in a bind. They probably know they should consider employing EFL teachers from elsewhere (new blood or whatever,) but it's somehow "safer" to employ locals. It takes awhile for outsiders as individuals to gain the trust of locals, something that really can't happen via distance hiring.

4. There just aren't that many good jobs available compared to the number of people wanting to come here to teach. By "good jobs," I mean good pay & benefits, good work schedule, good working conditions, etc. In the city where I live, the good jobs usually go to those who've been here awhile and worked their way up.

5. Very few language schools offer real contracts, at least where I am. If an EFL teacher is going to accept a job from a distance, he/she usually feels a need to have a contract before traveling all the way from there to here. Contracts of employment don't have the same legal importance here as they do in many other places. Many (most?) language schools use something like a letter of agreement instead, which simply states the basics of wages, number of hours, and duration of employment (subject to change without much notice.)

6. As I mentioned in another posting, too many applicants accept job offers from a distance and then cancel at the last minute or just don't show up. DOSs get burned a couple of times like this, and they become very hesitant to offer jobs until they see applicants here in person.

7. Along similar lines to #6, according to what one DOS told me, there's about a 20% drop-out rate in her school during the first couple of weeks of employment for newly hired teachers who have just moved here. The main reasons given are that the weather is too hot and cultural adjustment is too difficult. It's better to hire someone who has been here for awhile.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of reasons why it's difficult to find a job here without being here first, but it might shed a bit of light on the subject.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's give up on my finding a job via the Internet.
I finish my current one-year teaching contract in June. I've taught everything at my current school from 5 year-olds learning how to count to 18 year-olds studying general English to 50 year-olds prepping for TOEFL exams. I have a bachelors (unrelated) and a 4-week TEFL certificate.

I want to teach in a small city (pop. under 500,000). I don't care much for nightlife, but I really enjoy the great outdoors: ocean, forest, mountains. I also enjoy exploring the culture and historical aspects of a city: museums, art, etc.

So I get on an airplane in about late July/early August. I have a few thousand dollars in the bank and a suitcase with my clothes and my resume.

And I fly to... where? Question

Where's a city in Latin America that is like what describe above - and has teaching work I can walk into?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medellin, colombia.
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add two things to Ben Round de Bloc's very good list.

8 ) most Latin American's still aren't as internet savy as most of the teachers looking to teach English in Latin America are. Locals often ask me how I ended up in such an out of the way place and most are truely shocked to find out that I found a job on the internet. I still have a really hard time doing any sort of business through email in Mexico. During my first 4 years in Mexico, the phone at work was a 10 minute up hill walk from the English department. I repeatedly told publishers to email me rather than phone me because the phone is not a conviente way to communicate. Only in the past two years (but we now have a phone) has the ELT publishing industry in Mexico started to make use of the internet.
I think most people in this part of Mexico think the internets sole purpose if for teenagers to chat.

9) On all the major sites, schools have to pay to list their job openings. In Latin American, a lot of the people who do know about internet recruitment are put off by the cost, which usually have to be paid in US dollars or British Pounds, often you can only pay by credit card, something the school might not have. More and more, sites that used to be free have started charging. (I realize why, these sites need income to maintain themselves, and I'm not saying I think it should be free.) Naturegirl mentioned TEFL.com they still accept some free ads, but limit the number they accept at anyone time--and the limit is very low. Plus their free ads don't allow you to say much.
moonraven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is650:

I guess the question here is not whether Latin American employers should use the Internet, but whether you are comfortable turning up someplace without a contract in hand. Only you can make that decision.

What I can say is that not all hirers would be impressed by your qualifications and experience--and I am probably one of them. If you had at least a Master's degree in English (not necessarily TESOL) and 5 to 8 years of teaching experience, maybe. The market is glutted with folks with minimal academic preparation and experience.

There are no guarantees in life. Either you like the adventure, or you don't.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
Is650:
What I can say is that not all hirers would be impressed by your qualifications and experience--and I am probably one of them.

Fair enough. But where do you recommend I go?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ls650 wrote:
moonraven wrote:
Is650:
What I can say is that not all hirers would be impressed by your qualifications and experience--and I am probably one of them.

Fair enough. But where do you recommend I go?

I agree with la650 everyone has to start somewhere. I think that the majority of the people on this board have less that 5 to 8 years experience with an MA.
MELEE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

I think that the majority of the people on this board have less that 5 to 8 years experience with an MA.

True. And to me, it seems that not just on this board, but the majority of the people in this business fit that description. And I think, that's fine. Just because I do this as my career, doesn't mean I think everyone should. Less than 5 years teaching aboard is a great experience for anyone, and those people will take the insights they learn back into other professions and sections of society and they and those around them will be better off.

Luckily, for younger(or rather newer) less experienced teachers the majority of the jobs in the industry are quite happy to take people with a BA in anything, a TEFL cert and 1-year experience. True there are employers like moonraven who are looking for a lot more than that, and usually they offer much better salary and benefits than the majority of TEFL jobs in this region.

So where should you go? To any of the countries that are calling to you. Obviously there are more opportunities in bigger cities. But in Latin America, you may find that a country's, second, third, or fourth largest city has the feel of someplace much smaller than it’s population would suggest. There are jobs out there, but you might not be making a lot of money. I think the experience will be worth the costs, whether you stay in this business and move onto the better jobs or not.

Best of luck on your adventures,
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where should you go? Someone mentioned going to the place that calls you. There are, however, different kinds of calls. I suggest that you go to the website www.astro.com, put in your birth data and look at the interactive astro travel section of the menu. Sun lines are the best spots on the globe for you, then Jupiter lines, then Mercury lines. Stay away from Pluto and Saturn and Chiron lines, as those are places where you will have a very tough time. You will probably have felt a call from one of the positive spots--and I suggest going there. I have spent most of the past 10 plus years on my Sun line in central Mexico. Right now have moved back to the Uranus line (mental creativity) in southern Mexico, where I spent a year and started a lot of writing projects which now need to be finished.

This may not seem like an orthodox approach to you, but it has given me good results--and I think it's better than just buying a plane ticket and showing up in another place....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: