Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRAP JOB IN A WARZONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US$7,500 is around SR29,000. Not many teaching for that in KSA unless they are with British Aerospace or American Defense Contractors.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if those considering jobs at the bottom end of the pay range have thought through medical cover, medical expenses and possible evacuation costs. Health and travel insurance could be hard to get when UK FCO has isseued advice not to travel to Libya !

If you are getting �10 an hour as an hourly-paid worker, how are you going to cover any medical expenses ?

There must be some desperate people out there !
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I know several oil gigs in the KSA that pay that and more and there's one suicide contract here...ie not a rotation that does too Smile
teachr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot, I don't think I can PM you yet. But with just (non-English) degrees, Trinity Cert and one year experience I would have considered the jobs paying 1750/2000 a month because they would have allowed some saving and see a part of the world I'm interested in (all things considered). Was hoping others would have been scared off and I'd get an offer. But either they were oversubscribed or genuinely too good to be true because the dodgy ads have disappeared and no reply! So left with the �10p/h gig which I would not consider.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: and Reply with quote

And if you are based in a big city and are not on rotation, you'll spend a tonne of money on food unless you eat chicken shoarmas every day. What will you do in the evenings with no bars, limited sports facilities and embassy warnings not to go out? Forget dating......
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Some people have been offered short stints on big money with no rotation. It's undoable. Six months with no access to net/social life etc will drive people nuts....it's a real risk with mental health imho. In Libya, the longer you stay, the more 'set up' you get, so these new short contract types will arrive with nothing and be in for a real shock. Getting set up means buying a car, a sat package, a black market dongle, buying all the stuff for your house. Contract workers also tend to be put in temporary accommodation , which can be a shared ROOM. No-one would work here if the rotation was removed...not even the hardy Filipinos. Meanwhile the east teeters on the brink if you read The Libya Herald and world press.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonpiwo, are you in Libya now ? Or Berlin, Bydgoszcz, Basra or Beirut ?

My contacts in Tripoli say it seems quiet there just now. Benghazi isa different story.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Not far from Benghazi Scott......on rotation.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: and Reply with quote

Before anyone tells me it's safe...how is it that a German engineer working for ABB got shot between Ajdabya and Zuetina yesterday...it's near here. I don't care if it was a carjacking or they very after the driver and it was a feud...it's still NOT SAFE.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: and Reply with quote

Then there was the expat woman, raped two weeks ago....not in the news but on Facebook.
Bassington

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Seems pretty nice Reply with quote

I've got a couple of friends in Tripoli right now. They're not getting brilliant wages, but they really love the place (for some reason), so they're willing to accept it.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: wtf Reply with quote

Tripoli is calmer thyan the east but wtf.....there's nothing to see or do there. The wahes have been pitiful.....maybe they have another agenda. Just about everyone I know and have known over the years have never seen a place like it.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contacts tell me Tripoli is okay - or at least an improvement on Essex and Middlesborough.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my old Libyan friend in Tripoli tells me that she'd rather be in Essex, Middlesborough or ............France
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go and check out the situation in Tripoli - like that TV serties "Undercover Boss".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: