Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netherlands rent...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:

Well jeeeezze...

. . . I've never heard of living conditions like that before. I'm not saying it can't happen, I just haven't heard of housing like that. . . . But, to be honest I always find it more interesting to know how the real people live.

It's hard to know how to answer this, I'm-not-chica88, without incurring a violation of forum rules. That particular task is certainly well beyond my capabilities this morning, at least until I've had a second cup of coffee--so I'll leave it to my more capable and articulate (and possibly more caffeinated) fellow posters! Laughing Laughing Laughing

spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Real people"?
Can't even begin to respond, because I haven't a clue how to interpret this.

As the comment is in connection with 'doggy flats,' are you referring to 'poor people?'

TIR, whose story this was, was in the Netherlands without a permanent work contract, which limited her options so far as legal rent.

I can vouch from my eight +/- years in the Netherlands that a work contract is a requirement for many/most landlords.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I sometimes wondered about the realness (or not) of my weird and not so wonderful neighbours.

As Spiral points out, without a permanent work contract to your name, it will be very difficult to get a decent place to rent, whether you're EU or not.

The flat truly was awful, but I went and looked it up on Google out of interest, and it has been totally renovated and done up. It certainly doesn't look the death trap it once was (except for the balcony, that is.) Still, not much you can do to the exterior or to the neigbourhood. A 4-room flat in the capital city, on sale for €114,000.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Kalgukshi wrote:
1. Stay on topic.

2. Derailing threads will see you permanently banned.

3. Avoid insults, personal asides, personal agendas and confrontational posting.

4. If not, any one of the above can result in permanent banning.

5. Banning often includes one's IPs.

6. Members observing inappropriate postings are requested to report them to the Mod Team without delay.

I think comments on Neatherland rent and living conditions are not only useful to many people but also interesting.

By using the phrase 'real people' I meant the every day person, not people who have millions to blow. That phrase is used in the circle of people I'm around partly because none of us have thousands to spend on rent even if we wanted to. People that do have unlimited amounts of money to put towards only the best apartments are not the norm in my life.

Teacher in Rome used the phrase 'doggy flat' which was her description of her flat. I simply reused her phrase. Living abroad I've lived in my fair share of 'doggy flats' so I feel her viewpoint. I lived in an apartment one time that had holes in the walls. The outside enterance was the worst through. It had crumbling walls with water seeping down to big pools on the ground which would attract the ants and roaches. It was like walking through the gates of hell.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: