Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachtime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: fighting Reply with quote

Hi, 'by making an effort' I mean that some schools are now paying a more reasonable salary, there is airport pickup, and a number of schools now have reliable locals to act as drivers.

Accomodation varies. Where I am, I have everything but a dishwasher and a pool.

I will agree that there are a number of schools that offer poor hourly rates or salaries, no accomodation, no health cover, etc. If someone is keen to come here and work, they should do their homework not only about the country, but the school they are going to work for.

While $2,000 - 3,000 may not seem like alot of money in some countries, here it is more than enough to live on and save a considerable amount.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I question the motivation of anyone who wants to 'live in' in Tripoli or any other big city here.

I mean why hunker down there for $2-3,000 when you can go to ADCO, ADNOC, ZADCO, GASCO etc etc earn 25,000AED a month and get your accommodation paid for and a 100,000 AED car loan and school fees and actually live in a nice place and have a good life.

The rotations are different. In and out and that's why we are here.

So you've seen the old market in Tripoli, been for a drink in Regatta and now what for the other 334 days of the year that you are there.

All the time mugs come here and work for that, the terms and conditions will never improve.

Sorry. Don't take it personally. You'll double or treble that money in the oil field, and go home every month, so why put yourself through that?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL teachers are coming to Libya to save money... Very Happy
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the article. Living in a city, this could well be you next.

http://www.libyaherald.com/2014/07/07/bosnian-and-macedonian-kidnapped-in-zuwara-found-italian-still-missing/#axzz36gDPZ123
beachtime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: fighting Reply with quote

People go to various countries for different reasons.

I had worked in the ME, and reached retirement age, but wasn't ready to collect my pension and walk along the beach every day. I had lived and worked in Libya before, and wanted to come back for a year.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: and... Reply with quote

And how are you finding it honestly?
beachtime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: fighting Reply with quote

Honestly? It is OK. Compared to some places I have lived and worked, this is better than some!

I have made friends with a few Libyans, and I go out with them for meals and coffee on the weekend and evenings.

I can get a flight out of here and have a break with relative ease if I feel need it.

It is important to remember, we chose to live here as expats, and we are free to leave at any time we choose. Others aren't as lucky.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

While me and my colleagues all agree that Trip is the worst capital we've ever seen, the Libs are generally nice.

In the field, we aren't free to leave any time we please. We need exit visas. So how are you actually employed?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my EFL colleagues have just arrived in Tripolli....they have enjoyed their Trip and are now looking forward to teaching English there and in Misrata. So far they have been warmly welcomed and treated very well. Everything seems to being going smoothly for them. Wishing them all the best of luck in their new assignment. Very Happy
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Nothing like fresh meat. Let's see how they are doing in 2 months.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there's a school offering 1,000 GBP + 700 Libyan Dinar a month to work in active warzone. You have to admire the cheek!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Loads of offers like that here. Even the BC paid summit like that. Now let me see. To phone home costs about $1 a minute, Skype works some of the time, last night it took me 1 hour to download 1 photo, a chicken costs $7-8, Beef $14, fish $10-15 a kilo and lamb/mutton about $18. Of course you can always live on manky shoarmas from some filthy street vendor. You need a tonne of money to put up with this. Libya is monotonous, dangerous and so below what is an acceptable standard that 11 months with no vacation will leave you scarred. These fellas from Thailand are in for a shock. It's a case of 2 worlds colliding. I hope they like celibacy. Unless they are women of course, but that's always been the case in Muslim countries with the EFL gender divide.

Wait till these new arrivals start getting dicked around with pay and visas. They simply don't know what they've let themselves in for. Libya without rotation on that money is madness. Idiots who accept these posts then bugger off wreck it for the rest of us.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: More heavy fighting today Reply with quote

Heavy fighting between the Zintan militia and Islamist Brigades on the Tripoli Airport Road today. BA and Turkish have cancelled their flights.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/13/libya-airport-heavy-fighting-militias-tripoli-islamist-zintan

Who would want to work in a city here?

So if Benghazi Airport (Benina) is closed (it got hit by a rocket attack yesterday) and Tripoli International is closed, how does one get out?

We are all concerned. Oilfield rotations are the safest way of doing Libya but all of us are asking ourselves if it is currently worth it. Even on our dosh we should be being paid double and rotated out more frequently.
beachtime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Libya update Reply with quote

Mitiga Airport is open. Flights can be diverted there.

Earlier I heard a couple of planes coming in to Mitiga Airport, but not sure if they were commercial or military.

It has been very quiet over this way all weekend.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Abdullah Nacker is on about not stopping till they reach Matiga (he's a Zintani).

Flights have been diverted to Matiga but aren't departing.

Petro Air have cancelled oilfield flights.

You must be recruiting Beachtime Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: