Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for newbie planning move to KSA or Oman, UAE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luteplayer wrote:
It's odd to me to hear that a BA in linguistics from a top 20 ranked university in the west does not count as related to the field of teaching EFL or ESL. If studying language from a scientific perspective does not count, what does? Just TESOL?

I agree with rtm that the emphasis is on teaching language rather than analyzing it. Plus, the majority of GCC employers' job ads tend to indicate a degree in TESOL as the education requirement---ahead of one in applied linguistics. In fact, an MA in TESOL is a popular degree for Saudis who continue their teacher education in the US.

But as some of us have pointed out, you're competing with MA holders, which means your best chance for work is with one of the umpteen Saudi contracting companies given your qualifications. A few direct-hire employers may give your CV a second look, but you really need to be realistic about the jobs you're targeting. For example, that U. of Nizwa English Lab Instructor position that you applied for clearly states: "Master's degree or equivalent in English, Education or other field relevant is preferred. CELTA Certificate preferred for all English related positions." I'm not sure how you saw a BA meeting their education requirement.

Understandably, at age 53, you don't want to head back to university for an MA to increase your employability. Rest assured, you'll get a job in KSA, but it may not be at the level that you expect.

and wrote:
I realize that the teaching environment in GCC is not much better and possibly a fair bit worse than in Asian academic situations...

If you're basing this belief on comments and complaints from disgruntled and/or poorly-qualified teachers within the ME forums, it's not an accurate or fair assessment of the region. Nor does it reflect my teaching experience in KSA.

then wrote:
Incidentally, I am one of the few living in Thailand who do not partake of the stereotypically degenerate, mind and body numbing pursuits of most expats. This is because my needs are 1. to live in a hot climate;2. have access to serious academic resources i.e. libraries;3. decent healthy food; 4. make enough money to live a quiet life in a hot country after age 60 without working to much.

I realize this may be a tall order.

Finding a library for expat patrons in KSA is a tall order.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KFUPM has a good academic library which outsiders, including females, can apply to use.

There is an excellent if rather disorganised library in Riyadh. The name escapes me at the moment.

Jeddah has a nice library based in the grounds of the British Consulate. Not an academic library but better-stocked than most public libraries in Britain ! The name is The British Community Library.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: