Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that it is very important and smart business to have more than one job, because you never know what can happen out here in TEFL world...I normally work for at least two schools. The major problem is that one school can usually NOT provide the hours you need in the schedule that you have available. Of course, there are exceptions, but as far as language schools go, this is usually true.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
Quote:
I take your point, although wow, that is a pretty BIG differential.

I do not think it is such a big differential. Imagine teaching one group in the morning. Factoring in planning time and travel time, and how many hours are you REALLY working? The class is one and half hours., imagine you have a modest commute of 30mins (in Mexico City it is often more like an hour or more) to your class, you do one hour of planning and required paperwork for the class. You're looking at actually 3.5 hours of work for your "high" pay of 150 pesos an hour. Plus whatever you are paying for transport. Imagine repeating this for various times in the day. I've done this and I'll probably do it again, but it is something you have to think about.

Another factor at the school that I worked at was no planning because the school provided the material. So that 80-100 pesos an hour, times six hours in a row which they could give you, really turns out, as the travel time for me was about 15 minutes and I had virtually no planning time, besides reviewing the materials I was given. I would teach about 35-40 hours a week, but then I would be DONE, no planning, no paperwork. Just done.

I do not know what your specific situation is, and I am not knocking anyone, but I always think people overlook these factors in search of "high" wages. The company I worked for was a great one, and that is also important, job satisfaction and being happy where you are.

I take your point here also. Uncompensated travel time is indeed an important consideration in the overall picture.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:
It is axiomatic that a business should not have just one client, or too dominant a client, because that constitutes dangerous over-dependency.

It sounds like you've been reading Jill Carroll's columns in the Chronicle of Higher Education. She argues that part-time instructors should view themselves not as employees of a particular school but, rather, independent contractors who are doing business with "clients" that happen to be schools. The more clients, she argues, the better for precisely the same reason you mention above.

I have indeed been looking at those columns. Thank you for pointing me to them! I like her different take on being an adjunct / part-timer / freelancer. Certainly adjuncts are exploited, but I think the major issue there is that the universities are low-balling what they pay per course, and adjuncts need to vote with their feet by opting for the highest paying opportunities they can find. That exerts at least slight pressure on the universities to adjust their pay upwards.

In any case, full-timers can be exploited too, as I have described in another post, because these days, to perhaps a greater extent than before, a full-time professional employer feels that it owns ALL your time by virtue of paying you a full-time salary.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch this. I interviewed with another school today, because I almost always take interviews; you never know when you might learn something. This school has two positions available, full-time and part-time.

Full-time: 12:00-9:00 M-F, 8:00-3:00 S (52 hours/week)
Part-time: 4:00-9:00 M-F, 8:00-1:00 S (30 hours/week)

The pay for the full-time position is 7,000 pesos/month, and for the part-time position, 4,000 pesos/month. That's about the same rate, 31 pesos/hour. I hope my eyes didn't bug out of my head, but I fear that they did. The school is not a new one in Mexico, although the Queretaro office has only been in existence for three months.

120 pesos/hour suddenly doesn't look so bad! And I'm doing better than that. I'm up to 15 hours per week at 170 pesos/hour, which comes to more than 11,000 pesos/month, and my hours have been going up each week. That doesn't count any supplemental sources of income yet. So I imagine that I will be OK.

The woman who interviewed me seemed a little embarrassed; she must know that she's unlikely to get any native speakers on what the school is paying. She said to me at one point, "The pay's a little low...." Do tell!
Jultime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 pesos an hour in Oaxaca. There's no way I could live on that.

I'm heading elsewhere soon.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:

Wow, that is LOW. I was making 10,000 working for Interlingua over 25 years ago.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Jultime wrote:

Wow, that is LOW. I was making 10,000 working for Interlingua over 25 years ago.

Forgive me for going all Marxist here, but downward pressure on wages is real everywhere. There have been immense gains in worker productivity, but these have not been shared with workers. Instead, the threat of unemployment is used to keep workers glad that they are making any money at all.

In Korea, for example, the going rate for ESL teachers is almost exactly what it was 15 years ago, despite the cost of living having gone up appreciably in that time.

I wrote in another thread about how I hit my peak earnings in 2015 dollars in 1988, when I was 30. It's been all downhill from there. But one must live, and it doesn't do to get depressed about things.

One of my good friends, a brilliant, thoroughly dependable guy with a philosophy B.A., is driving shuttles from the Denver airport to Vail. My sister, who has a master's in television production, has been in Hollywood for almost 15 years and is still eking it out from freelance project to freelance project. My brother was laid off from his job in restaurant marketing and was out of work for 18 months before obtaining another position. His life partner has lost several jobs in retail buying and has currently been out of work for 8 months.

I could go on and on, but you get my drift. None of the people I know who have had troubles is a substance abuser, a criminal, a lowlife. All are highly educated, reliable, upstanding citizens.

It is not much better in other countries. Many university graduates in East Asia cannot find jobs at all.
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh trust me Fitz I know all about wage deflation.

I was working as an LPN. In 2011 I was working in Florida for $18 an hour with no benefits. Had I been a new RN I might have made $22 an hour.

In my last job in Alberta I was supervising, training and scheduling 40 people...for $26 an hour. I hadn't had a raise in 2 years. I've been in the work force for decades.

I'm not asking to be paid a lot. I'd be happy with enough money to rent a room and feed myself, maybe go out occasionally. Then my kids can supplement my income by sending me the money they owe me (ha! how doubtful is that!)
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Oh trust me Fitz I know all about wage deflation...I'm not asking to be paid a lot. I'd be happy with enough money to rent a room and feed myself, maybe go out occasionally.

I hear you loud and clear, and I concur. My needs have become pretty simple too. As long as I've got a decent place and can maintain myself in dignity, enjoy my pets and my books and my movies, that is enough. Living in a nice city like Queretaro and being able to enjoy some of its amenities is looking like a plus.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more difficult for me to define my peak since I worked in Mexico when I was younger, but without any training, and earning what was considered to be at that time a LOT of money. I then went to college and worked in the US for 5 years, in a Catholic school where I very much enjoyed the work, but not the wages. Then for 4 years in a public school system where I got one small raise the entire time. Then back to Mexico where I worked in a variety of jobs - private schools, language schools and business institutes, private classes and a stint as a news editor and as a tour guide. I loved working as a tour guide but the pay wasn´t great. That seems to have been my luck, jobs I really enjoyed payed crap and the ones that paid the most weren´t really jobs I enjoyed. I have always been able to save a little, travel a little but there have been some tight times, too, which I suppose is typical for a lot of people. In terms of lifestyle, I am probably living the best lifestyle now, but that is partly because the cost of living where we currently live in very low and our house is paid for, we have chickens and a garden and a neighbor who gives us all the fresh milk we can drink. My husband is semi-retired, though we have the income from an apartment he owns in DF and from a business he has, but no longer runs himself. So I don´t think it can always be tied to money earned. If I lived in the US we would just be getting by, I think.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
If I lived in the US we would just be getting by, I think.

That is certainly why I am here in Mexico - I can live better on a small amount (and I also like the climate). That is why I will stay in Mexico or Central America (but probably Mexico) for retirement as well. I just don't know how people manage in the U.S. anymore. My sister pays $1,200 per month in Los Angeles for a not-so-great apartment, has to maintain a vehicle besides, and it is a drama every month to see if she will be able to do it all. I'm just about getting by in Queretaro at the moment, but I've only been here two months. A year from now, I think I will be considerably more comfortable.
Jultime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even care about having a car anymore. I like not paying for gas and insurance, I think I'm saving around $400 a month by not having a car.

I'm planning on retiring here in Mexico. If I stayed in Alberta the only way I could retire would be if I moved in with my kids. Its not an easy financial life being single.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
I don't even care about having a car anymore. I like not paying for gas and insurance, I think I'm saving around $400 a month by not having a car.

I'm planning on retiring here in Mexico. If I stayed in Alberta the only way I could retire would be if I moved in with my kids. Its not an easy financial life being single.

We have a lot in common! I too am single, and I don't miss having a car either. I enjoyed driving well enough, but the cost....the cost.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
Jultime wrote:

We have a lot in common! I too am single, and I don't miss having a car either. I enjoyed driving well enough, but the cost....the cost.

We don´t have a car either. Living in a small town where we can walk, or bike, anywhere in town is a huge plus. There are taxis that will charge you 20 pesos to take you anywhere in town, 25 pesos to take you to the highway, which is where the bus terminal is, and 40 pesos to the next town. There is also a mini bus to the next town for 10 pesos.

When we lived in Mexico City we did have a car, but we rarely if ever drove it since you usually get where you are going faster in the Metro or on the Metrobus. We kept it for emergencies or if we were going out of the city. Driving in Mexico City is not for the faint of heart.
NorthofAmerica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Private lessons in Playa Del Carmen Reply with quote

I just had a Spanish class with a Russian and unsurprisingly afterwards he said he needed to learn English as well as Spanish for his job here, a freelance photographer.

I initially said 150/hr. to myself but not sure what to quote him. I could use some side money and he is a good enough guy that I don't mind spending time with him (let's face it we have all had privates we personally dislike) but I am not a charitable org'n here.

What's reasonable? I have 8+ years exp'n and have taught for 200rmb an hour in China, like 400+ Mexican. Obviously I know that is ridiculous here but I am not just a "I know English and like to talk to people" teacher. This is my first approach for a private, I have been working online here. What do qualified ESL teachers make per hour, seriously I have no idea.

Outlined a lesson plan for him and he was on board, told him I would contact him in a few days for a level check and first lesson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: