Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American, Bachelor's degree, TEFL holder...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians have some alternatives (working holiday visas and reciprocal agreements with France), but those are the young 'uns.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia! Nowhere else as stable as the Motherland. And nobody will care if you are an American or not. The Russian attitude is simply that we must be charitable to those less fortunate Very Happy
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost go as far to say as it's not even FAIR that Americans can just waltz into Eastern Europe and teach English, given the locality of 2 huge markets for such teachers (UK and Ireland) plus highly qualified locals. Not to mention all the red tape Europeans would have if they wanted to teach ESOL/EFL in the US. It's bad enough that UK citizens have to pay the US the ESTA fees, but the reverse is not true.

I know a large number of continental Europeans who would easily pass off as native speakers, yet their passports can prohibit them from work. Not to mention the freedom of movement they are all entitled to, which Americans don't have. I bet most Americans have ultimately married themselves into Eastern Europe somehow...

Yes, I'm cynical.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, we can't work in the UK or Ireland. You can't work in the US or Canada. It's fair enough.

Anyway, whether you like it or not, it's the fact that Central/Eastern European countries routinely hire non-EU citizens. I've even worked legally in the Netherlands for 7 years on an exceptional visa, though these are rare in fact.

The majority of English language teachers in northern/central Europe are qualified locals, so not sure how you come up with the idea that they are discriminated against in favor of non-EU Anglophones. It's not the case.

Dunno why you care anyway; aren't you in Asia long-term? You don't have to compete with us;-)
tommyp32

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
I would almost go as far to say as it's not even FAIR that Americans can just waltz into Eastern Europe and teach English, given the locality of 2 huge markets for such teachers (UK and Ireland) plus highly qualified locals. Not to mention all the red tape Europeans would have if they wanted to teach ESOL/EFL in the US. It's bad enough that UK citizens have to pay the US the ESTA fees, but the reverse is not true.

I know a large number of continental Europeans who would easily pass off as native speakers, yet their passports can prohibit them from work. Not to mention the freedom of movement they are all entitled to, which Americans don't have. I bet most Americans have ultimately married themselves into Eastern Europe somehow...

Yes, I'm cynical.

What do you find so unfair about it? As far as I can tell, the British and Irish still have a much broader option of where they can go to teach as much of the Eurozone excludes Americans and other non European natives speakers from that work.

To be honest, I actually really dislike how the EU handles immigration, work visas, student visas etc. I think each separate country should have more autonomy in being able to decide who they want to let come and work there.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Once again, we can't work in the UK or Ireland. You can't work in the US or Canada. It's fair enough.

But continental Europeans can't necessarily work in the US or Canada...that's where the inequality lies.

spiral78 wrote:

Anyway, whether you like it or not, it's the fact that Central/Eastern European countries routinely hire non-EU citizens. I've even worked legally in the Netherlands for 7 years on an exceptional visa, though these are rare in fact.

Good for you. However, I am not disputing what you said!

spiral78 wrote:

The majority of English language teachers in northern/central Europe are qualified locals, so not sure how you come up with the idea that they are discriminated against in favor of non-EU Anglophones. It's not the case.

I haven't actually said that...

spiral78 wrote:

Dunno why you care anyway; aren't you in Asia long-term? You don't have to compete with us;-)

Well considering I am European,it's my home. And no I am not in Asia long term,and my ultimate aim is to live and teach within the EU somewhere...eventually.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

European? Sounds so strange for people
from the UK or Ireland say that. Must be a generational thing. Bet your grandparents would never have thought or uttered such a sentiment...
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But continental Europeans can't necessarily work in the US or Canada...that's where the inequality lies.

Um. I think statistics will tell you that (particularly in Canada) there are very high percentages of adult immigrants from the European continent. Half of Toronto's population are immigrants....
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL teachers aren't immigrants!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Europeans can work in Canada, though they are unlikely to be language teachers.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that TEFL teachers are "expats". We reserve the term "immigrants" for those of a darker hue doing unskilled work !

IRONY ALERT ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Shocked
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
from the UK or Ireland say that. Must be a generational thing. Bet your grandparents would never have thought or uttered such a sentiment...

I am from a country in the continent of Europe, therefore I am European.
tommyp32

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

I never quite understood this, why go with European instead of the country you're from?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

Britain? An island off the continent. Not on it or in it. And traditionally, always seen as something apart. It is only in recent years that the European identity has been...erm...not embraced, exactly. Look at Cameron today! Still standing alone...

Seriously, ask your parents or grandparent who the Europeans are. Not likely that they'll say "We are"...
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never quite understood this, why go with European instead of the country you're from?

3 reasons:

1) Dual nationality
2) Geographical correctness
3) I personally identify more with Europe as a whole than either of my nationalities specifically

Sashadroogie wrote:
Britain? An island off the continent. Not on it or in it. And traditionally, always seen as something apart. It is only in recent years that the European identity has been...erm...not embraced, exactly. Look at Cameron today! Still standing alone...

Seriously, ask your parents or grandparent who the Europeans are. Not likely that they'll say "We are"...

I'm aware of that, and that's one reason why I desire to stay out of the UK (along with people like Cameron being back in power).

Anyway, back to the topic Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: