Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New teacher, moving to Mexico in August
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any problem finding a job without my official CELTA diploma. I think most employers understand that we don't get them immediately. I submitted the Pass letter we got from the training center when employers requested proof of taking the CELTA.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oaxaca is lovely and it's a whole state, not just a city. I don't think rent in the center is overpriced, as there a few empty apartments. It's priced for what the market demands. I will probably never live in the historic center of Oaxaca City, but luckily I know and love Oaxaca all the way to its wiggly boarders.

You didn't mention if you have a degree, what it's in if you do, your nationality, Spanish level, if you speak other languages and if you have any teaching/training/tutoring experience.
shawmeadower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: update: living la vida Poblana Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I spent many hours searching this forum prior to my move to Mexico, and thought I would pay it forward by sharing about my experiences thus far since moving to Mexico.

Before arriving, I sent out alot of emails to various universities, private language schools and colegios. At first responses were slow, but after a couple of weeks, this method proved to be very helpful. I found this a better method than looking for job postings online, as many universities and schools do not advertise through these websites. I found schools by doing a simple google search in cities I was interested in living in and searched their directory to find email addresses. By the time I left for Mexico, I had four interviews scheduled in Puebla, where I planned to begin my job search. After the first week, I had three job offers (a university, secondary school and private language school), and ultimately decided to take a job with the private language school. All of the schools required me to give a demo class as part of their hiring process--perhaps a good litmus test when trying to figure out the quality of school?

Now I am waiting for my visa paperwork to go through before making a short trip back home (Texas) and then back to Mexico. I probably won't start working until mid-October, given the time it takes to process the work visa even after I return. Keep this in mind when planning how much you need in the piggy bank to get by before that first paycheck.

For me, once in Mexico, the job search was fairly easy, especially considering that I had already set up my job interviews prior to arrival. For info re: my credentials, I am recent college grad (B.A. in Spanish Literature, 2014), speak Spanish, and have a CELTA cert. I do not have Masters degree or previous teaching experience. For most University jobs, they do prefer that you have a Masters, but don't let that discourage you from inquiring. Some will still want to hire you but the initial pay will be less. If you are a native English speaker, have a B.A. and CELTA (or other equivalent), you will be in high demand.

**Note on visas: some schools I interviewed with wanted to hire me, were willing to support a visa, but were unaware of the law changes since 2012 that require FM-3 seekers to leave the country in order to obtain a visa. Also take into account the cost of a roundtrip plane ticket to your Mexican Consulate of choice---most schools will not pay for this. If you can secure a job offer before coming to Mexico, than you can avoid this extra expense, but this takes quite a bit of foresight. Some Universities now require that foreign teachers apply for jobs a whole semester in advance because of this time it takes to get all the paperwork through---*sigh.

As for now, I am enjoying Puebla, playing lots of frisbee and looking forward to begin working. Suerte to any future teachers coming to Mexico!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: