Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job advice/wasta for Muscat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like AMIDEAST's status is actually a good fit for my situation with regards to being part-time and able to hire on spousal visas. I understand that it's different country to country. So far I have a good feeling about the AMIDEAST office based on my correspondence so far.

I actually found myself unknowingly in an illegal situation while teaching in Jordan. The school where I worked, the Modern American School, didn't report us to the MoE and after an inspection during which school staff had expat teachers literally hide, we were informed to tell anyone who asked that we were "volunteers." Needless to say it was NOT an ideal situation and I ended up leaving early when I realized my contract was null and void because of the school's practices.

I yet again want to pick all your brains as you've been wonderfully helpful and my questions evolve. I have been looking into an online masters program from George Mason University in America - what used to be called the FAST TRAIN program and is now called Teaching Culturally, Linguistically Diverse and Exceptional Learners. It's a 2-yr. online/summer session program that leads to a masters degree in either international ESOL or elementary ed and a US teaching license. It's the only program I've found that fits my situation (living and teaching abroad but really providing legit creds), but it's about 16K USD!

An alternative I'm considering is the British Council's 12-week CELTA course for 1000 OMR. It seems like a faster, more affordable option for getting qualifications while living in Muscat.

Is a CELTA plus my BA in Philosophy enough to make me "fully qualified" as an international teacher, or would I still need a degree in education? Advice/recommendations?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
Is a CELTA plus my BA in Philosophy enough to make me "fully qualified" as an international teacher, or would I still need a degree in education? Advice/recommendations?

A CELTA and your unrelated BA would make you minimally qualified for a language school but not fully qualified for international schools, which require a teaching license, degree, and experience --- all relevant to the subject you'd teach. An example would be an MA in Education or Teaching with a focus on primary school English Language Arts, plus US licensure to teach ELA, and experience teaching it. That's assuming you want to teach k-12.

I suggest you take a look at Teach Away, Seek Teachers, and Footprints, which recruit for international schools in the region.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: