Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any new information on Modern College of Business and Scienc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My estimate on the teaching staff's ethnicity/nationality is 45 % Indian, 25 % Filipino, 15 % Arab-speakers (Tunisia, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt), 10 % "broken Russia" (Armenia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) and 5 % native speakers (UK, Canada).

The locals/Omanis have co-ordination, supportive or administrative staff roles, which they perform from their offices.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyrockets wrote:
Quote:
My mother tongue is NOT English

If you don't mind me asking. How did you manage to get an English teaching job in the Gulf as a non-native speaker? my perception from both these forums and my own job hunting has pointed that these sort of jobs are pretty much off limits to non natives.

You would be wrong in that assertion. There have always been some non-native speakers teaching English... most from the sub-continent and the other Arab countries.

As the years have gone by and the budgets are getting cut, non-native speakers will become the majority and already are in many colleges... especially those in the hinterlands and the private colleges.

It is only the very top pay employers who can end up with a majority of native speakers. ,,,and ask for them, but IMHO the non-native speakers teachers are as good or better than most of the native speakers. And they are certainly less demanding... Laughing

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native speakers are becoming a rarity.

Many (not all) non-native speakers' quality of teaching and linguistic proficiency have observable issues:

* a strong accent,
* incorrect grammar,
* wrong use of lexical items,
* a limited range of vocabulary, and
* old fashioned teaching methods (chalk & talk, rote learning).

One might argue that their level of expertise is sufficient for the task at hand.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Many (not all) NATIVE speakers' quality of teaching and linguistic proficiency have observable issues:

* a strong accent,
* incorrect grammar,
* wrong use of lexical items,
* a limited range of vocabulary, and
* poor teaching methods

One might argue that their level of expertise is sufficient for the task at hand.

A minor edit to increase accuracy.

VS
gregory999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quality control inspection of English! Laughing
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not poor, just old-fashioned

Many have been teaching in the Gulf for a very long time - often in the same position - without any need to up-grade their pedagogical skills.

If the definition of teaching includes classroom management, relationship building skills, delivering the content and designing learning activities based on rote learning, then they are rather competent.

However, if the definition of teaching includes collaborative, experiential or problem-based learning, then their methods of "drill & kill" are old-fashioned.

Apologies for missing the hyphen while drinking my Old Fashioned. Embarassed
One tends to imbibe to cope with the daily madness. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what "missing hyphen you are referring to... but anyway...

Whatever will be wrote:
If the definition of teaching includes classroom management, relationship building skills, delivering the content and designing learning activities based on rote learning, then they are rather competent.

Not sure what this "rote learning" is that you are talking about as I worked with dozens and dozens of non-native speakers and not one of them used this thing called "rote learning." That is something that only happened in the schools using the traditional Arab methods of teaching. I never saw it at university level.

Whatever will be wrote:
However, if the definition of teaching includes collaborative, experiential or problem-based learning, then their methods of "drill & kill" are old-fashioned.

Same with your reference to "drill & kill." This field comes up with some new band wagon to crawl on every few years... be it Communicative, TPR, Natural Approach, Community Approach, or the latest "collaborative, experiential, or problem-based."

The fact is and always has been that whichever approach you choose to use, pretty much the same percentage does well, struggles through, and/or fails. But fancy names for these things seem to stroke teacher self-esteem. Laughing And convince managements that we are doing something fancy. (add computers and smart boards and all should be fixed)

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Veiled Sentiment

When was the last time you taught in an Arab country?

How current is your knowledge?
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Veiled Sentiment

You don't know what rote learning is? Google it! Laughing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learning

The memorization of words, sentence fragments or whole sentences for regurgitation in exams is widely practiced. It is in contrast to actual learning (comprehension) and then successfully communicating in the target language.

A teacher standing at the front of the class and blabbing for 2 hours at them in "Hinglish" is what happens in this workplace on a daily basis.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the utter, mind numbing boredom of the interior location itself, it is this 'drill and kill' approach/ method to teaching that motivates me to leave....Whatever will be is spot on-with regards to the MOM colleges and what is actually happening there....walk along any corridor of the ELC and look into the classroom and you will see the 'teacher' standing at the front of the class giving endless 'instruction' followed by short periods during which the students silently, and individually complete the relevant exercises from the textbook. I had the misfortune to invigilate a post-foundation writing exam recently, while they are able to regurgitate the structure and layout of an essay-thesis statement + blah,blah,blah......not a single student was able to actually comprehend the essay question and effectively write a discursive essay at all..... Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
@ Veiled Sentiment

You don't know what rote learning is? Google it! Laughing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learning

Stupid question... duh... but then you obviously didn't read my post since the answer was in there.

Fortunately I had the credentials to avoid these hinterland "colleges" and taught at actual university level with professional teachers... both native and non-native speakers.

It is obviously the choice of the government of Oman to not pay enough to get native speakers. But then these colleges are mainly about baby sitting anyway... keeping them out of the labor market.

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been in the classroom of a South Asian teacher in the Gulf so don't want to comment too much on that. Besides, there is only one South Asian teacher in the English Department at my college (other departments have many). Very nice chap and seems to have it together. There are a few teachers who I work with, who I suspect aren't very competent, but he certainly isn't one of them.

In any event, it is my understanding that, in the public schools, most of the English teachers are from the subcontinent. Considering that, by the time the students get to us, they have had something like five years of English instruction, I can't say, judging by the results I've seen, that I'm overly impressed. It was the same in Vietnam when the English school teachers were Vietnamese but, at least I'll give those guys one thing. They made sure Vietnamese students were hell-on-wheels when it came to grammar Cool. Reading, speaking, listening and writing weren't so good, but their grammar was fantastic.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily blaming the South Asian teachers for the state of English in the high schools, (there could be any number of reasons for that), but, one thing I will mention is that many of them are probably terrified of losing their jobs. Given their circumstances, and where they come from, I don't blame them. Literally, millions upon millions of their countrymen would kill to be a teacher in Oman. However, I'm not sure that this concern coupled with the extent of 'student power' that exists here is a good combination. It would certainly help explain the grades. I've had first-semester Omani students, who scored 90% in their final year in high school for English, and they could barely say "I like football." Rolling Eyes

veiledsentiments wrote:

Same with your reference to "drill & kill." This field comes up with some new band wagon to crawl on every few years... be it Communicative, TPR, Natural Approach, Community Approach, or the latest "collaborative, experiential, or problem-based."

The fact is and always has been that whichever approach you choose to use, pretty much the same percentage does well, struggles through, and/or fails. But fancy names for these things seem to stroke teacher self-esteem. Laughing And convince managements that we are doing something fancy. (add computers and smart boards and all should be fixed)

I agree at least partially with this. On the one hand, I acknowledge that certain methodology/techniques are definitely more appropriate, engaging and effective than others and a good teacher will know about them, be up-to-date and know what to use and when.

However, one thing that does get up my snout about this industry is it's growing pretentiousness. I suspect it's due to, what we call in Australia, a 'cultural cringe'. You know, TEFL isn't really a 'real job' with 'real teachers', unlike such-and-such, so there appears to have been something resembling a campaign to gain respectability by giving ourselves airs. One way to do this is to make the job appear more 'academic' than it needs to be. Other subjects have completely incomprehensible methodology, so we'll have incomprehensible methodology, other disciplines use complicated methods and fancy-sounding terms to explain simple concepts so we'll use use complicated methods and fancy-sounding terms to explain simple concepts, etc., etc. I saw a bit of this at my last university gig where the battle-cry, at least at that time, was on 'task-based learning'. I researched it to prepare for the interview and, (whilst my memory might be faulty), as far as I can gather, all it's basically saying is that you should have a reason as to why you do things Rolling Eyes.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
[
Fortunately I had the credentials to avoid these hinterland "colleges" and taught at actual university level with professional teachers... both native and non-native speakers.

Hi VS. I know the above wasn't addressed to me, but, I'm guessing I'm probably also currently teaching at a hinterland "college". Anyway, just to clarify, you are not saying that the people who work in these colleges, such as myself and, I guess, most of the people on this board, are not "professional teachers", are you? I personally don't think so, but, the way it's expressed, some might take that as the inference. Anyway, in this type of medium, it's easy to have misunderstandings....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... Laughing not directed at you or anyone else on this board... it was actually addressed to the fact that at the better universities they were able to employ professional teachers... from various countries and also those whose first language wasn't English.

The cost cutting that has been happening all over the Gulf has meant that there are fewer and fewer native speakers who are willing to teach there.

I had heard that most K-12 schools in Oman were now staffed by Omanis rather than expats. Of course, they may not have been able to produce enough English teachers to fill all the schools. I know that the males with good English can get a better job outside education.

VS
(and yes... the pretentiousness of the field has been getting worse with the passing years)
sirius black

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the salary range for foreign teachers at this institution?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: