Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expats to pay 3 % of salary for visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those articles confirm that many of the recommendations in the Salalah blog are being put into effect.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: The writing has been on the wall for about a year Reply with quote

One can go back and check various media online as well as the printed media in the Gulf and clearly see, that proposals to cut employee's conditions will be implemented.

Some employers have already started doing this although it is in breach of employment contracts.

Choosing one's employer carefully is not easy when one applies from outside and is new to the Gulf. Furthermore, it is no guarantee, as the ministry itself has already introduced cuts for those teachers under their employ. Also, agencies are changing hands/being sold and the new owner-operators are preparing renewal contracts (with unattractive conditions for teachers) ready to be signed in the summer.

Anyone in the country with an eye and an ear on the employment situation knows that conditions have deteriorated and will continue to do so because of financial pressures caused by a low oil price.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The writing has been on the wall for about a year Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Choosing one's employer carefully is not easy when one applies from outside and is new to the Gulf. Furthermore, it is no guarantee, as the ministry itself has already introduced cuts for those teachers under their employ.

I'd agree with that. Good employers can get worse and, even if they don't, many of the better-know 'good employers' are demanding MAs, plus extensive experience (including years of Gulf experience). That's fair enough, given the market, but not everyone has that and, especially in regards to the Gulf experience, you need to start somewhere.

It's still not bad in many places, and there are still good opportunities out there if you look for them, but, it's not like, from what I hear, the 'old days' were like when the really good Gulf TEFL jobs were, compared to now, relatively easy to come by. It reminds me a bit of what things were like during my father's generation. Back in Australia, in the 1950s and 60s, you could literally walk into a 'career job'. That wasn't the case for me and I think it's only going to get worse for the young ones coming up now.

Anyway, not a lot you can do about it except stay ahead of the curve, be realistic, develop and try to be the most competitive employee candidate you can be.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with your assessment, 1st Sgt Welsh!

The heyday of teaching in the Muddled East in terms of conditions, pay and benefits are over.

While there are still some good jobs to be had, employer expectations have been rising steadily: MA or PhD, a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in a higher education institution or with Arab speakers and perhaps a CELTA or DELTA on top of it.

Anybody with less than that needs to settle for an undesirable job in the slim hope of 'working one's way up' in the Gulf, which involves the inconvenience and cost of moving countries to 'climb up the ladder'.

Alternatively, one might wish to move to new, emerging markets or follow the trodden path in Asia.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
I've heard 'rumblings' of a substantial reduction in basic salary and housing allowance for MOM direct hires starting September-next academic year.... Confused

That explains the significant exodus of MoM teachers leaving our HCT at the end of this year...
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
Tazz wrote:
I've heard 'rumblings' of a substantial reduction in basic salary and housing allowance for MOM direct hires starting September-next academic year.... Confused

That explains the significant exodus of MoM teachers leaving our HCT at the end of this year...

Based on what I've heard, can't say I'm surprised and can't say I blame them.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next questions would be:

1.) Where are these MOM teachers going to?

2.) Will they be replaced?

3.) Is it true that the reduced teaching body will have to cope with class sizes of 50 students and more?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
The next questions would be:

1.) Where are these MOM teachers going to?

If the MOM isn't going to hand out the NOCs, anywhere but Oman. However, I'd like to think that they would issue them.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ex-patriate" ? Is that someone who used to be a "patriate" ?

It makes a change from "expatriot".
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those moving to another job from Oman that requires a CBC, expats will need to pay a fee for fingerprints and a no-conviction certificate now.

http://timesofoman.com/article/81786/Videos/Morning-Minute---New-expat-fees-and-fines-in-Oman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: