Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NZ Dip Teaching costs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I think the scholaships are available for all PRs as the institute where I got my Diploma in Teaching had a fair few foreign educated teachers who qualified for them. Personal plug for my old training institute the New Zealand Graduate School of Education based in Christchurch. I researched heavily before I started my teachers training and NZGSE affords the best training you can get. Look into it and good luck.
moot point

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

So what do you think?

Should I go to NZ and seek employment for a year or two in order to acquire PR status (I think my greatest asset would be an MA in TEFL/TESL so would need to find work in this industry) and then take advantage of the scholarship offers?

Or should I just fork out the international fees now, get the DipEd, and then start working in the public school system?
dodgee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my take is that in New Zealand education you are never going to make a fortune at any rate. However, before you get the better paying teaching jobs you need the diploma. NZ pay increments occur yearly and if you have a masters and overseas experience you can start on higher pay levels. if you delay getting the diploma and work you will earn a lot less than in the system and then when you finally enter the system the pay will be less. I am not sure how much intl fees are but if you wait for 3 full years(2years to get PR status and 1 year whilst studying) you will strt on around $5000less p.a than if you started the diploma in year 1.
moot point

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. In that case, it would make sense to begin the DipEd programme beforehand. By the way, I've looked at a few different schools and int'l fees run about $15,000 for the one-year (some are 15 months) full-time course.
JosephP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moot Point,

Recently NZIS has implemented new rules concerning students and employment. Graduate students can now work twenty hours per week during the semester and full time during holidays, and if the graduate student has a spouse, the spouse can work full-time (For example, 40 hours per week). This ability to generate extra income might help ease the financial burden if you do choose to study here in New Zealand.

Good luck.
moot point

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but am curious on the standard of life of a typical teacher with a couple of kids and a stay-at-home mom. In Canada, especially in rural areas, people in this profession seem to do well. They can afford a nice home and often run a side-business in their "off months". Can I expect a similar situation in New Zealand?
JosephP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moot point wrote:
I'm going a bit off-topic here, but am curious on the standard of life of a typical teacher with a couple of kids and a stay-at-home mom. In Canada, especially in rural areas, people in this profession seem to do well. They can afford a nice home and often run a side-business in their "off months". Can I expect a similar situation in New Zealand?

Salaries in New Zealand are not all that flash, but I suppose you would do "okay" in the rural areas on a teacher's salary as long as you don't have much expectations in the way of buying a lot of crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: