Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working legally in Berlin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashartist1, sorry my program is in the U.S. my program is part of a German Literature program. The M.A. program at the University of Delaware offers a minor in Foreign Language Pedagogy. As for getting back to Berlin I do not know. I have thought about applying to an International M.A. program in Hamburg.
crashartist1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thought so, well at least my hopes were raised for a few minutes about returning to Germany. I think that it is best that I do my Ph D in Japan and then apply for Universities in Germany then, that way I can see the world a little bit more. I know that once I land a job in Berlin, I am not going to leave; only a sheer act of god is going to get me to leave Berlin. Besides my life here is too good, I run a language school, I teach at the University in the ELT faculty and I will begin teaching in the prep school (English prep year before they start their degree studies) at the beginning of the fall semester. Hopefully, I will be finishing my M.A. in the spring of 2006 and then I will be able to apply for Temple University in Japan for that fall semester, 4 years Tokyo then.... I would like Argentina for a year or UEA, maybe Italy. I am an American, but I think that if you have the education above 90% of the people in your field, then you can teach anywhere. That�s why I know I can go back to Germany when I am finished with my studies, all things in time.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashartist1, you are living in Turkey, am I correct? Furthermore how much does it cost to purchase a language school where you live? If you don't want to post it then you could pm me? I am not trying to be nosey. I just am curious. I was thinking about trying to purchase a language school or hotel in Central or South America. I am thinking about eventually moving there permanently. I might also try to invest in real estate in the U.S. I was talking to one guy on here who lives in China and owns real estate in the U.S. If I had two houses in the U.S., they would provide me with a nice second income in South America.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashartist1, like I said, my next stop is Brazil and then maybe Saudi Arabia so that I can try in order to purchase my first rental property in the states.
tlrstarr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashartist1 it sounds like you really enjoy traveling and that your favorite place was Berlin. Is that true and if it is what about Berlin made it so special for you? I always here people talking about how much they love Berlin. I hope I wll be able to settle as easily once I move there...
Jzer where are you from originally? I know some real estate agents in Florida. Are you interested in buying land then building homes or buying homes? Let me know if you want the agents contact information...
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Delaware. I think I will purchase homes near where my parents live in Pennsylvania. I am looking a purchasing houses near a college because unless the university closes there will always be people to rent to. If you purchase homes in another area and say a company moves out then it will become difficult to find renters.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Delaware. I think I will purchase homes near where my parents live in Pennsylvania. I am looking a purchasing houses near a college because unless the university closes there will always be people to rent to. If you purchase homes in another area and say a company moves out then it will become difficult to find renters.
crashartist1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlin was the first city I lived in in Europe. I was on my own for the first time had a great apartment, great friends. This might sound depressing, and I am not an alcoholic, but my favorite thing to do at night was listen to old french and german opera and drink a bottle of wine a smoke on my balcony while staring at the ferenseherturm. It was perfect, I was just alone allow to think and contimplate, dream and hope. I was free and relaxed, it ws the most peaceful feeling I have ever had really. The city is really easy to get around, i never got lost, even if I did get on the tran or miss my stop. I guess it's all a matter of mind set, I was ready to move to germany to be away from everything (I wasn't escaping from anything, just excaping from the daily routine that I had always had).
One of my favorite things to do in the spring and summer was to sit, no lay down under the ferenseherturm listen to music and stare up. It just feels like it is going to fall right over on top of you! And the best place to take pictures is in front of the Berlinerdome with the FSturm standing behind it, really it is an amazing sight.
Ahhh, berlin Sad sniff, sniff my home....
tlrstarr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jzer I purchased a home about 1 1/2 years ago and when I move to Berlin my mom will rent it to college students because it is really close the campus here in Gainesville, Florida. That is really a good idea and I am sure I can get you connected with someone to help you find what you are looking for if you have not already been working with someone Smile

crachartist1 you sound like you had the time of your life in Berlin, I hope you get to return... I am actually afraid to move. My father died in 1998 and since then my mother and I became really close and the thought of being so far away from her terrifies me. I hope that Berlin's diverse culture will help me adjust quickly. I am looking forward to moving I guess I just need some time to settle in once I move there...
crashartist1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes berlin for me was an amazing time, and yes I had the time of my life. All my friends were waiting for me to cause an international incident and be the first American to get kicked out of Germany in 40 years!!! But I played nice, hads loads of fun and made too many friends that I travelled around with.
There is the old saying that "You can never go back", this is true, you can never go back to the same thing but if you accept that things will be different then you can go back. I accept this part, when I go back, all my friends that were in university are working now, they have the 9-5 M-F job. It might not be so easy to get 6 friends together, all buy round trip tickets on Ryan Air for a 12 hour trip to London for dinner and clubbing (but Holy $h!t was that fun!) (BTW the TOTAL cost of that trip was about 40 Euros per person, London is expensive!). I guess I just really lived the european lifesstyle when I was there.
Okay enough about that place. When you go, toast a Bach or a Berliner Pilsner for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: