Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions of Doha....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the new taxis alot more expensive?
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fractionally. I used to commute from Al Asmakh Street (near the Dow roundabout) to Al Sadd and in an orange it usually cost between 5 and 8 (which I usually rounded up to 10), depending on traffic. A turquoise which I got a couple of times was 10 on the nose. Still cheaper than the limousines - infact the new taxis are run by one of the limousine firms and a lot of the drivers were really miffed cos they were forced to move from the limousine jobs sitting outside hotels, to cruising round looking for fares - they have lovely uniforms though, epaulettes and all.
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered, funny how these things come back to you: when I was there one of the drivers told me all the drivers for the new taxis were getting comulsory customer care training from some North American company. I think drivers in Doha were actually really nice anyway, but they seemed to have been taught that when a westerner gets in you have to switch the radio to either Voice of America or some dreadful rap music.

Perhaps QatarChic can enlighten us whether they're still doing that? Drove me mad!
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijack all you want folks! Laughing

Brian- yes they still do that with the radio stations- very annoying!

RE Air Arabia- a few people have complained that some flights have been delayed-sometimes by up to 6 hours! But they are cheap in comparison to other airlines. Downside is that you may have to stop in sharjah (where airline is based) for more than 4 hours- some have stayed up to 12 hours- in order to get on their connecting flight! Sad
livinginQatar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatarchic has settled in well. She's a seasoned traveller I guess! Not to mention an unnerved pro at crossing busy streets! *shudder*

Rents are in QR, not dollars, and yes, they are sky rocketing.

I've never had any problems with Qatar Airways....

Peace,
Um Ali
xtian001

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Also in Doha Reply with quote

Hey there!

I also arrived at Doha just about 2 weeks ago. Anyway, you can see my initial thought about Doha here.... http://www.lifeonthespot.com

About the Karwa Taxis. When I first called them to pick me up, they didn't show up although they asked me to wait for an hour. That pissed me off.

Hey, where do you go buy Region 1 DVDs at a reasonable price in Doha?

regards,
Chris

Last edited by xtian001 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
QatarChic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Also in Doha Reply with quote

xtian001 wrote:

Hey, where do you go buy Region 1 DVDs at a reasonable price in Doha?

I bought a few from that music shop on the 1st or 2nd floor in CITY CENTRE, opposite carrefour I think....
Rolling Eyes
As for the Karwa cars, the secret is to take one of the drivers numbers (if he is willing) and arrange for him to pick you up/drop you off- that way he knows he is guaranteed income etc...

Good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: