Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sohar Uni
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you young and cute? (like your name?) Laughing

I'm glad to hear that the embassy is helpful. The one in Washington DC was always a pleasure to work with too.

All will work out eventually when you get there. Just be patient, go with the flow, and pack your sense of humor!!

VS
KiteBiker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: horses in Oman Reply with quote

You originally posted a question about horses. While I was in Salalah, we investigated them. My wife was and still is very much into horses. There are only two locations in Oman with horses for hire - Salalah and Muscat. Don't even think of going anywhere near the Sultans' horses. They are heavily guarded. He was very horsey himself when he was young. There are two other stables in Muscat you can go to and a Tack shop, all in the area of the airport. You do not need to go to Dubai for horses, unless it is significantly easier for you to do so. It will require road passes and the rules regarding these passes changes every time someone in Customs changes their DishDasha -- in other words very frequently. And like everything else in Oman, communications is not the best - especially for ex-pats that are not fluent in Arabic.

As for the anti-Brit sentiment, again, Salalah is different from the rest of Oman. The Brits have had a history of high-handedness in the region and of course, everybody loves to hate the Americans, but this anti-pathy is not generally threatening. Omanis are very civil in their disdain by and large. They will go to extreemes to avoid conflict. However, in Salalah due to the civil war that occured there, people still remember British piloted jets straffing people by water holes, etc. They are much more reserved but still nice to you. The mountain people have a reputation for fierceness if you get on their bad side.

Sohar should be just fine. Be nice, understanding, and keep criticisms of the bureaucracy and Oman mild. Never diss the Sultan. Learn a few words of Arabic. You'll be pleased with the result.
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS > Very sweet *blushes* Embarassed Not sure if I'm cute or not Confused . Not something I think about to be honest. Obviously, being a girl, I would like nothing more than to be cuter! As for the young, I don't know what qualifies as young on these pages, but for the record I'm 25.

KiteBiker > Thank you for the informative answer! I would never speak badly about the country I'm in for fear of being kicked out or shot (Fears that were reasonable in Azerbaijan!) and I fully intend to learn far more than just a few words of Arabic, after all, I think it's a common courtesy (my old students are giving me lessons on the phone at the moment but I have only mastered how to write my name and unnecessary things like "I love you" and, rough translation, "I give my life to you"!! Not useful when in a taxi, I'm sure!)
I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I probably wont be riding much in Oman, due to the heat and the fact that Sohar is stuck out on a small limb. I couldn't do the "hiring a horse" thing anyway, I have to get heavily involved or not at all. When I was in Azerbaijan I was race exercising every morning before work, and doing evening stables before going to bed! I think I'll just have to learn to love the camels, as I'm sure I have a far greater chance of riding one of those!
Thank you for your response Smile
KiteBiker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: horses in Oman Reply with quote

Wow. You and my wife would get along famously together. Since we arrived in Canada my little one insisted on starting to ride ... Arabians! She's specializing in them.

NOTE: the Sultan sometimes makes a gift of his horses to some deserving tribes, so occassionally you will see the odd horse around, but beware. There are no vets or medication easily accessable and feed/stable care is very rough. Noone rides horses or camels during the day. Usually happens early in the morning or late in the afternoon. We tried camels while in Salalah. An entirely different kind of ride! The gait is long and loping. The "saddle" is very different/uncomfortable. Just imagine riding atop a very high and dangerous mule on steroids and you'll get the picture.

Have fun in Sohar. It's very picturesque [would Sinbad have had it any other way?]
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given 2 horses in Azerbaijan based on the fact that I do everything myself and didn't want people doing it for me - if I'm there to ride I'll do the grooming, tacking up, cooling off, etc (as would any person in England). It was such a new concept to them that they allowed me to ride free of charge any time I liked. So I did, every morning. I was then upgraded to assistant race exerciser and veterinary advisor (given that there seem to be no vets there either.)

I imported a load of veterinary stuff from the UK and we managed really well with the stuff I got. I'm also a trained equine sports massage therapist so i was able to use a lot of that skill for pulled muscles and the like. I'd worked with race horses and hunters in the UK (before becoming a teacher! Long story) so my general horse care and veterinary knowledge is quite good. We muddled through most things using natural products that we could buy locally. I worked with one particular horse who wouldn't be handled, and after seeing the results I got his owner gave him to me. Then we got a bunch of babies in and I worked with them too, and was given one of them. You know what it's like, you can't refuse anything from these people so, 2 horses I was given and 2 horses I got! They're both in capable hands now in Az, as are my 2 in England.

I've got friends in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, so I think my weekend activities will more than likely involve driving to see them and partaking in a little horse riding there.

Sorry to anyone who's in the least bit interested in horses! This reply was directed at KiteBiker!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a horsey set in the Emirates. Hopefully you can get to meet them. I had a student in Muscat whose family was in the local horse racing. It is a much smaller set, but there used to be horse jumping competitions at the race track in the past. It's a shame I don't remember that student's family/tribal name. Once you get to know the students, you never know what you may encounter. Be sure to bring pictures of yourself and the horses so they know your credentials.

The race track was near Seeb - not far from SQU - and I went to a few horse races which always ended with a camel race.

VS
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, as far as the riding goes, I reakon I'll be OK. A friend of mine in England knows one of the head honchos (sp?) for the Maktums (actually not sure how to spell it!) and works very closely with them both in Duabi and Newmarket at Godolphin - I'm sure if I get desperate my friend could pull a few proverbial strings and sort me out.

Here's hoping eh?!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if you could hook-up with folks that have access to the Al-Maktoum's stables. (as to spelling, this is the one on their website)

VS
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! I don't know how picky they are about their work riders though. I've heard people say they employ their staff on yearly contracts so you stay with their horses from country to country (ie. England and Dubai). Maybe I can pick a little bit, if I offer my services for free. Who knows. The people I know in England are great people and are always offering to help me, I'm sure a phone call wont be too much trouble! Fingers crossed!
kaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to interrupt all this horsey talk but have been away for a bit and didn't see the original posting till now. A washing machine is probably the least of your worries as there are plently of laundries that'll do your washing (and ironing Razz ) for you. They are cheap and usually pretty good.
Essentials - for me would be......a decent bed (not too expensive I think), a decent fridge, gas cooker and a fan. You can pretty much get away with not having the a/c for now but think about it after your 2nd paycheck.
At the moment u should be thinking about using your money for a car - but then that's a different posting entirely.

Just had a thought - an old colleague of mine had a bit of a 'thing' for horses (not in the twisted sense Laughing ) and went riding in Muscat I think though have no idea where.
Ever thought about camels? Far nicer than horses........
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaw wrote:
Ever thought about camels? Far nicer than horses........

Somehow I just knew that you would say that. Laughing

VS
kaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can�t think how u worked that one out..... Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently that MA wasn't a complete loss... Cool

VS
kaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh new there was a pretty good reason why I was intending to do one. Will get my Dip out the way first though - 4.5. weeks left (and counting Confused )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: