Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International schools?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsbankston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know as it would be easy to hide the fact I'm a 42-year-old (though I don't look--or act--my age) downwardly-mobile (unless the book sells and sells well) writer. The only thing I have of consequence is a huge library, and most of that wouldn't be traveling with me on a TEFL trip, though I'd ship it over if I settled in Europe permanently.

Anyway, I'm not the type to cruise bars and have one-night stands and that sort of stuff. I'm way too old for that, patience-wise--not that I was ever into that scene. I'm not even especially looking for a romantic partner, but kids would be nice to have at some point, if for no other reason than to inherit the vast sums of money I can make doing TEFL. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are apparently the burn-the-midnight-oil kind of writer! What time is it in Texas?

If standard of living and building some kind of future is any sort of priority, and you actually wanted to stay in TEFL, that grad degree would eventually become essential. All the positions, whether in Europe or Asia, that you are eligible for with just your BA and a basic certification, will be entry-level. TEFL can be a career (obviously, it's mine - well, my second) but it takes some commitment to furthering your own education. However, I can say that I found MA study to be much easier/more interesting than under-grad stuff, because it was pertinent to what I do on a daily basis. If I can get over my phobia about writing, I will probably enter a doctorate program next year (I HATE to even think about a doctoral diss).

I suggest that you may likely be embarking on a several-step process. Probably first to Asia (and who knows, many people get hung up there because they actually like it!), maybe later to Europe, but if you want to stay in the field, ultimately the post grad thing becomes pretty necessary.

Anyway, first steps first. You might hate teaching.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very nocturnal.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the main thing that's kept me from grad school is a math disability that would keep me from passing the math portion of the GRE. But now people are telling me I'd not need that in some graduate programs, though short of writing every university there is, I don't know how I would go about finding that out.

I'd love to settle in Europe. I love France and have also been a lifelong Anglophile, but I keep reading it's next to impossible to get a legal job there without an EU passport.

I hope teaching overseas beats substitute teaching/doing study halls for spoiled, rich American kids. I did two years of that as a private school librarian.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, writing is my main focus, though no telling how long it'll take before I can support myself that way--if ever.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and it's 3:04am in Texas.

A friend of mine once bemoaned the fact that misfit younger sons like us no longer have something like the British Empire to fall on--a place to go on the other side of the world where we can make lives for ourselves when we fail to make it in our native land.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Europe's a big place, and you might someday find a niche in some way. But you'll need quals and experience, most likely.
If you decide to do an MA, I can recommend a couple of distance programs through British unis that would be useful in a couple of ways: they don't require any math, and a North American with a British MA is more desirable on the European job market.
University of Birmingham, Surry, and Leicester are all reputable institutes offering distance MA programs. North Americans with 4-year degrees are generally eligible, particularly if they have already a few years of experience in the field. There are fees, of course....but I think likely less expensive than U.S. programs.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly my Anglophilic side would enjoy a British degree, or British school time.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But at 42, would I be too old for that? How many working years do I have left? There's great male longevity on one side of my family, so that might not matter...I could last for years.

Sorry--a bad habit of mine--thinking of too many sides of a problem at once.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the UBham MA at 44. Stop overthinking it all!! That longevity factor won't help if you stress yourself into a collapse or a state of inertia.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quite honestly, there's been a little wave of anti-American-boyfriend sentiment rolling through some parts of the European scene over the past couple of years - though it may be more prevalent in the 'new' EU member countries like the Czech Rep and Poland. The thing is, North American guys were considered to be attractive (the image was well-educated and financially strong) but the image isn't always true among the expat TEFLers. Quite a few women married TEFLers, only to find when they reached the U.S. or Canada that the guys were essentially penniless and unable to support them in terms of providing decent housing and enough income to support a family.

I don't mean to imply that the women are gold-diggers - two-income families are just as common here as in N.Am. and most women expect to work. But here, there are pretty generous subsidies for families with babies, cars aren't generally an essential requirement for daily life, schooling is of a high quality in almost all locations, and the overall standard of living in terms of essentials can be much easier to obtain.

There's been some women ( I have absolutely no idea how prevalent this is, so I'm saying it guardedly) returning from North America, many with small children (and much stronger language skills!), without the husband (who may still be working crap jobs somewhere in hopes of affording a plane ticket). Here, the kids are pretty much assured of a good education and a safe living environment, even if the level of household income is relatively low.

I've actually recently spoken to three different North American guys, here in hopes of finding TEFL jobs, in order to live near their children. It's kind of sad, especially because they aren't really much into teaching - they just can't think of any other way to be with their families. I also don't think they necessarily misled the women - it's easy to miscommunicate, given language barriers and expectations based on stereotypes.

In any case, in my personal experience and also that of my circle of friends and acquaintances scattered throughout Europe, there's been a bit of backlash against dating North Americans - again especially in Central Europe. The economies here are getting stronger, and it's now true that if people work hard, they get ahead financially, not to mention that most families have some property so there is usually some safety net. It's become 'cool' to date locals again. And the expat TEFLers have lost quite a bit of their cache in terms of attracting women in search of more than a casual relationship.

Ultimately, I think a marraige of convenience would be pretty hard to swing....even if someone were looking for one!!

I was talking about all this to a well-traveled friend and he opined, "Well, foreign women who like Americans are usually of the lower castes. Americans are the only ones that'll have anything to do with them." I said,"Well, I wasn't thinking of going to India." He responded,"No, that's everywhere. Most non-American nations have either a formal or informal caste system of one kind or another."

I should add, though, that my friend often holds forth at length about subjects he knows nothing about, or just pops off to get a reaction out of people.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion/experience, your friend knows nothing. "Most countries have a caste system, " indeed! What planet is he referring to? There are people in every country who expend the effort to become well-educated, show responsibility, and initiative. And those who don't. This creates something of a divide, but it is by no means a caste system. Caste systems, as in India, are roles that you are born into - and even there, it is possible to transcend them. Europe moved beyond this centuries ago, when the land-owning Lord systems died out.

Anyway, pardon my personalizing the issue, but I and many of my friends are American married to Europeans. And, excuse me, but our spouses are high achievers, and many of us live far above the average - in my own case, on two continents.

I have little to do with the U.S. anymore, just occasional visits to my parents, but my Czech spouse has a well-paid position in Canada, and I work through a Canadian uni on projects in many countries, in addition to having free time to hang out here at home in the Czech Rep, designing courses for my uni in Canada. Under contract,I mean.

There is no more caste system here in Europe (probably much less, in fact) than in North America.
jsbankston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are European women all looking for rich, successful Americans? Are the struggling kind of men pariahs?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most normal people looking for partnerships, regardless of whether they are men or women, are looking for partners with value to offer.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earlier point was that European women are NOT especially seeking Americans!!
jsbankston

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, either way, I'm not what you'd call a playboy, always looking to hook up. Far from it in fact. But friendly company would be an added benefit overseas. Still, it's hardly a priority.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: