Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Net 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlust1066

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem; glad to be of help.

It's a real marathon getting into the NET scheme here. And to repeat, you MUST have ALL the ORIGINAL paperwork. Even if they speak to a professor on the phone who confirms verbally and then in writing that you are who you say you are and you have the degree you say you do, if you don't have that certificate then you - in their eyes - DO NOT have it - period! This will result in you not getting this job-of-a-lifetime (where else can you earn up to 60,000 HK dollars a month just for teaching? Answer: NOT in China that's for sure!).
arju

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: net Reply with quote

re all the info about the paper trail all true except the salary payments the top of the salary for a primary net is $38000 add on the $13000 and its $51000 but to be on the top of the scale you need 15+ years teaching with a degree not with a diploma! pre degree teaching isnt counted!
plus last year we got 10 weeks holidays, in aust teachers get 12 weeks!
re the gratuity yes its 15% but you also pay tax at 15% and for many nets who pay the 5% super in hong kong they effectively only get 10% gratuity plus the 5% they paid in super, also we pay tax on the gratuity payment as well! just some points to ponder ps hk is tops the experience is a must!!!!
WinstonSmith2003hk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: net Reply with quote

arju wrote:
re all the info about the paper trail all true except the salary payments the top of the salary for a primary net is $38000 add on the $13000 and its $51000 but to be on the top of the scale you need 15+ years teaching with a degree not with a diploma! pre degree teaching isnt counted!

True. However, I must ask you, what do you mean by "but" in "but to be on the top...". Surely you mean "obviously"....?I simply don't get your point!

arju wrote:
plus last year we got 10 weeks holidays, in aust teachers get 12 weeks!

And you have your number of months of paid holiday written into your contract. Did you know that some people very close to HK get as little as 9 DAYS a YEAR paid holiday?! (They claim to work there through 'choice', not because they can't get a job in HK.)

arju wrote:
re the gratuity yes its 15% but you also pay tax at 15%

So.....it's tax free, then....? That's not bad, is it? I can only think of 2 states off hand that offer tax free employment.
arju

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: net Reply with quote

re winnie smith......tax is based on the combined total of salary and allowance however the gratuity is based on 10% of the salary plus you also pay a further 15% tax on the gratuity payment!!!! it aint tax freeeeee!
re the people getting 9 days holidays there was no discussion about thier conditions! teachers in international schools in hong kong can get a gratuity of up to 25% plus their wages are another 15000 a month more than the pnets....there is no complaint intended good luck to them!
foster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!
Anyone been to the NET website lately?!?! Applicationm deadline was October 15th!! Did anyone see it advertised anywhere else??

I am a NET teacher already, so the panic is not mine, but I know MANY other people who are looking for NET jobs this year.

What are the odds they would take late applications???
arju

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: nets Reply with quote

re news to ponder next january there is a 3% salary reduction , for those renewing contracts in 2004 there is a further 3% salary reduction
the big news is worst....before LEGCO at present is a proposal to reduce the living allowance by 20% to bring it in line with the rental market which has slumped however its called a living allowance to attract tax if it were called a housing allownace it wouldnt attract tax!!!!! makes you think !
ryuro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foster,

The deadline you saw on the NET website was for a totally different position. Some kind of NET advisory position.

The NET and PNET deadlines for next year (if they recruit) have yet to be announced but will probably be late December as in previous years.
foster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok ,good to know. My friend panicked and figured it was too late to apply. Confused
Mister Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite see the point of wanderlust's comment on China, especially as it doesn't relate to this topic. However, since he raised it, and having spent a very rewarding year there as a volunteer, I'd like to comment.

As we know, China is developing rapidly, though it is still a poor country. The potential EFL market is huge, and is only held back by the fact that salaries/conditions offered fall well short of what many Westerners would demand. However, I feel that is changing for the better. Other comments on this site indicate that HK has peaked, and maybe even losing some ground. The future? Who knows, but I don't think it's wise to dismiss China when considering where future trends in EFL teaching are concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: