Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotational jobs in Libya - a word of warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreenster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding stupid, I was wondering about getting these jobs with the oil companies. Because the search engine here and I do not get along, I have not been able to find much information regarding the more basic things. I went onto the oilcareers.com website, but can't find things for ESL teaching.

Any sort of information that you could give me would be awesome, particularly along the lines of actually finding a job. As background information, I am a 24 year old American girl that has a BA in English, TESOL certification, and two years teaching experience (in Korea and Thailand). I can put up with a lot, and mostly want to save up as much money as I can so that I can go teach/volunteer for a bit in South America.

Thanks in advance, and sorry to sound so clueless.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: 2 bob Reply with quote

No chance of a rotation in Libya as a. Little experience.
Try Wood Group North Sea or Fluor Industrial Services for Equatorial Guinea rotations.[/url]
eflnoil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to a previous poster's comments in respect to the positives of working in libya, I had the chance to work there and found that the money was reasonable at the time but .... the unremitting dullness and greyness of daily existence - despite the short hitches - was simply not a lifestyle one should relish.

In contrast,I am currently on an NGL plant in the CIS in South West Kazakhstan where,to tell the truth,the earnings are substantially higher,between 2800 and 3000 Euros a month tax free!. The rotation here is even more comfortable than the one I was on in Libya. Additionally, there are absolutely no social restrictions to what one is used to. You can walk to the nearest town; admittedly not particularly pleasant. You can a bevvie,chat to the young female locals. See to believe! And even date !

One can discuss anything but politics.They love discussing religion. What?? In Libya?? And the work is a doddle if you have some experience of gas field work.

Admittedly,it's a 7 day week although Sundays are pretty much off due to shift change but we have 24-hour internet access at our personal workstations where we can do a lot of our own personal stuff,the office is fully equipped with all peripherals and our supervisor is a really cool Russian ex-engineer.

Our month off is obviously a relief but we all kinda look forward to heading back. Not like it was in Libya; where the last few days of your time off were simply miserable due to the 'anticipated' return.

The accommodation is large and sufficient with a TV with loads of satellite channels and a minibar filled up daily. It actually feels like a well-maintained top class hotel room.Laundry done daily.

Food is provided with guess what ! English breakfasts can be requested, even bacon.Hello Libya?! Choices abound and fruit ample.

If there is a downside, I'd have to say it was the lengthy flights every 4 weeks.Gee it seems like ages to reach! And that the students are mostly not particularly motivated unless prodded.

Overall,the students are cool and ultra friendly. max 14 to a class. Absenteeism is rare, not like in Libya where every student appears to have a sick grandmother!.

Jobs here are had through referrals.They are seldom advertised.

I am not trying to appear condecsending but I am simply stating facts. Libya is strictly division one standard rather than premier league ..... where I am! Of course, that's if you can appreciate the footballing metaphor.

By the way,I've just returned from Sham El Sheikh in Egypt. Great place to visit ...... if you can afford it on a Libyan tefl salary.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Depends where you are. I work 6 and 3 and earn more than 30 grand gbp a year. If you're by the coast, Libya can be very pleasant. There are also some really dreadful employers here and there can be real isolation if you're somewhere on your tod. Kazak gig sounds great though.
Longton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterling has fallen by more than 25% against the US$ since January 2008, and you can now earn pounds 30,000 + quite easily in many outfits in the Gulf.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: ha ha Reply with quote

Who wants to work in that hellhole with such little leave?
Longton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the UAE and having worked in Saudi and Libya I would consider living here the most attractive option. I can do and buy whatever I want. In the last week my salary in sterling terms has gone up 10%, now around Pds4,000 a month. And I'm happy with only four months vacation a year.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Longton Reply with quote

Hi Longton,

Sounds like you're on a good gig...I'd stick with that one. Most people aren't making that though and most don't get 4 months holiday.

When I was at QP on a married status contract many moons ago, we got that kind of money, loads of bens but only 28 days' leave a year.

I'd didn't go home for my first 24 months!!

Good luck to ya and may ye avoid the traffic on a daily basis.
Libyaboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bad case of the NGO's in Desert Libya Reply with quote

ozoyster wrote:
I would agree about not working on NGO/ Rotational jobs in Libya. I went there about a 18 months ago working for a non governement organisation. It was a pretty horrific experience. Two of us on this job were fired after three months because we did not quite 'fit in' to the teacher profile that the DOS seemed to be personally comfortable with. It had nothing to do with the standard of our work.

It could also have had something to do with the fact that he was asking us to 'doctor' exam results because the students and administaration staff at this centre seemed to think that they deserved higher marks than we had given them. This was quite interesting given that our DOS claimed to be a registeresd examiner with Cambridge. It was the first time I'd encountered education workplace fraud. I am very sure that our DOS was colluding with both the Centre management in the above and also with the full knowledge of our 'boss' in Tripoli.

We were basically bullied by this DOS who was colluding in all this with the management of this outfit. I and my colleague team taught our students and got them through their work with quite fair marks. But this was not enough according to our DOS. He bullied and berated us about our marks and reports and then on the last day told my colleague that he was fired.

Amazingly this was don without any feedback from centre management or any written evidence or backup as to why we were being dismissed. It was also interesting that he had been working with the previosu outfit o this job who had lost their contract earlier in the year.

After this and another shocking experience with Hawthorn later that year in Oman I have quit the ESL scene altogether after only three years. Its a joke to be paid about 12,000 to 15,000 pounds a year when you consider that a front of house receptionist in a UK company can earn about 15'000 doing a job which is much less demanding than that of an ESL teacher.

I have completely sepped away from teaching and am retraining in a job which even as a trainee pays more and has much greater prospects. Do yourslef a favour and stay away from jobs which offer this kind of 'toy' money wage.

These people and organisations are a hazard and need to be stood up to. They have no respect for the teachers they employ. please take my advice. Don't be foolish and apply for jobs here. The pay is low and as detailed above, teachers are only 'cannon fodder' for students and other staff to abuse and then get rid of when expedient.

Right now for the real facts about this.

The guy that wrote this turned up with another teacher in May 2007.
Within 2 weeks they had both received complaints from students and were warned to up their game. This they did not do. They ploughed drearily through the course book without any supplementary material (they ran out of book 2 weeks before the end)
He was observed and the lesson he produced was one of the worst on record here..unplanned, bitty, no direction or focus and full of irrelevant digressions. His sacking was inevitable due to his incredibly poor performance in the class

He was never bullied or asked to change results on any Cambridge exams. This is just a lie from a bitter person who actually admitted at a disciplinary meeting with the DOS that he was on heavy medication for severe mental illness and was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
This was apparent from his erratic and often aggressive behaviour. he had arguments with waiters, students and colleagues. The final straw was when he swore at some Libyan female students for being late when their bus had been delayed..Incredibly rude and unprofessional and totally lacking in cultural sensitivity.

His colleague was also weak in the classroom and a complete minimalist never doing anything more than the absolute minimum. When the students completed their feedback forms on teacher performance they were amongst the worst on record!! Sad (These forms are still in existence and can be posted here if anyone requires proof of their tawdriness)

The reports that they wrote on their students were incredibly badly written, wrong fonts, missing information etc. We still use them as examples of how NOT to write reports.

Meanwhile this guy spent hours making pointless piecharts and bar diagrams on the computer to represent his students' performance.

His students all complained about him and had to be given extra classes after he had gone to compensate them.

In week 8 after the swearing incident he was relieved of his duties and given photocopying duties while the DOS took over his classes (much to the relief of his students!) He seemed quite happy with menial tasks as he clearly knew he was no good at teaching. Incredibly he actually asked to be given a full-time position as photocopy boy (this is not a joke by the way!!)

I
God knows what he is retraining in but he couldn't be worse at that than what he was at teaching. If he writes any more crap we will post up his student reports and his student questionnaire on here. This guy turned up in the desert and complained of having a dust allergy! (Gives an insight into the workings of his mind)
He was universally hated by his students and for very good reasons.
Nora22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing the Serte Oil Company advertisements on several job boards. It sounds like a good deal. I�ve seen negative posts from several years ago, but not much recent information. I would appreciate any and all accurate current information on this outfit, or any leads on similar jobs, i.e. fairly well paid rotations in oil camps, etc. Thanks.
okedata

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anything starting to happen in Libya? I've seen a few things advertised but no rotational jobs.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm in Libya now...6 on 3 off....40k a year...free housing, food 6 flights and BUPA. Maybe a payrise in the offing. And the grapevine has it compensation for last year pending a legal claim.

That job in Kazak sounds great......I still maintain Libya has some good camps. No booze or birds is a bummer tho' I wholeheartedly agree.
ceneg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: TQLS survivor looking for work in Libya Reply with quote

@ Sharter: I was out in Kuwait working for TQLS before you got there 12.2011-8.2012). Was a tough gig. People didn't get on. We were forced into shared accommodation, some teachers sat around all day doing nothing while the rest of us worked our butts off and the students, as you know, were hard work. I gather from your posts things have slightly improved. They're offering me work out there again. I'm looking for alternatives. (As I'm sure you can understand). Would massively appreciate it if you could give me some info on getting work in Libya. I can't pm you as haven't posted enough-you could pm though, I think. (That is, of course, if you were kind enough to answer).
billy_ruffian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: TQLS survivor looking for work in Libya Reply with quote

ceneg wrote:
Was a tough gig. People didn't get on...some teachers sat around all day doing nothing while the rest of us worked our butts off and the students, as you know, were hard work.

^ Not going to hijack this thread ceneg but things havent changed since you were there. The issue of sharing workloads hasn't been sorted according to a buddy who works there and there are still the favored few who get minimal teaching hours. Sounds like TQ really need to sort out their backyard, for the second year running...

Keep looking for a better gig ceneg. There are better jobs out there. Good luck.
ceneg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: @billy_ruffian Reply with quote

Cheers, mate. Got to be better jobs out there. They don't get much worse than TQ. Pay's OK, but everything else sucks. Why am I not surprised nothing changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: