Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toowoomba and USQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Trobe in Perth?

Yeah, people I've talked to who've gone to this school have told me it's a good school. Other than that, I don't know anymore about the school.

USQ is a degree mill.
KCA420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: La Trobe Uni Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by KCA420 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, La Trobe is in Melbourne. Sorry.
merlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
White Toowoomba is just not ready for that.

I'm not exactly sure how I should construe your mental/psychological state, rice paddy daddy.

In any case, most of your points in criticism of USQ are completely besides the point.

It is a growing trend for universities worldwide to use more adjunct faculty so as to better meet the needs of their client -, even ones world-renowned in languages and linguistics like the University of Hawaii.

Moreover, the "publish or perish" culture of yesteryear is currently out of favor - under such a culture professors spend all their time writitng questionable books and forcing their students to buy them and oftnetimes concentrate less on teaching and meeting the needs of students.

I am sure one could find a person dissatisfied with just about anything - particularly here.

My bottom line is this: USQ seems to be turning out better students than wherever you graduated from. Support your points with substantive points devoid of personal attacks and logical fallacies and I may change my mind but as it is the andti-USQ crowd are a sorry lot indeed.
madmad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: USQ Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's an interesting thread for me since I'm currently enrolled in the MA in Applied Linguistics program at USQ.

A lot of the criticism posted here so far is valid - staff in the MAPL program at USQ are generally underqualified, especially the people marking student's essays and assisting the few more or less qualified instructors.

As far as the few PhD holders are concerned, the work I've read by them was rather unimpressive.

Finally, I also have a colleague who did his MA through Leicester University in the UK, and there are significant differences between the two programs/schools in terms of procedure, content, and staff qualifications.

I think USQ is operating at the fringes of academic integrity, but considering Australia's overall comercial interest in the education sector, this is likely to continue/spread.

On a positive note, I would say that having done the program I will, despite all criticisms, have benefitted from it as a teacher.
merlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad,
Regarding the Applied Linguistics department I'll take your word for it and I'd like to stress again that ALL universities are hiring less qualified ajunct faculty (I worked for a semester at a Leading traditional University in the ESL/TEFL field with nothing more than a BA in liberal studies thanks to knowing a friend of a friend but you'll forgive me if I don't divulge the name).

It's a bit unfair to hold USQ to a higher standard than other universities, isn't it?

I'm studing with USQ in Educational Technology and I've completed 5 courses so far. All my professors had PhD's and were very qualified. One experienced a personal crisis during the course but he still did a passable job and I would rate that course at worst average. Out of the remaining courses, two were far superior, one was exceptional and one was almost a religious experience.

I personally can't see any other way to study educational technology or CALL except online.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman,

Are you on-campus at USQ now?
madmad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: USQ Reply with quote

Rice paddy daddy,

no, I'm doing my degree via distance learning. I'm teaching in Thailand...
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your comments were well written.

That's how I feel about USQ.

In fact, I was concerned and disappointed when I found out that my assignments were graded by people who were not actually teachers at USQ. It seems they are former students who had taken the courses themselves and are given guidelines to follow when marking the essays.

I also feel that USQ instructors, with exception of Mangubhai, are not properly qualified to be teaching the classes they teach.

Seems some peopel here get quite defensive about that.

I'm still waiting for my Assignment 2 from last semester to be returned to me - I have sent 2 e-mails inquiring about the assignment - 1 to the instructor and 1 to the school.

No reply as of yet.

I will not recommend USQ to anyone looking to get into an TESOL program.
madmad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: USQ Reply with quote

Hi Rice Paddy Daddy,

I wouldn't recommend USQ's MAPL program either unless you are really strapped for cash - they are cheaper than pretty much any other program I have come across.

Yes, the markers/assistants do indeed seem to be mostly former students of the university some with rather paltry looking resumes. I found one online looking for an ESL job in China who just received his MA last year!

I do see why people get defensive about criticism though.

It was certainly difficult for me to come to terms with the idea that I have sunk my hard earned money into a third rate program. I have to work two jobs in Thailand to pay for the program, and I had hopes and future plans resting on this. I realize that at some level these discussions almost inevitably become very personal when they touch upon people's hopes and dreams and future ambitions; even if the original poster had never intended this effect.
merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, the markers/assistants do indeed seem to be mostly former students of the university some with rather paltry looking resumes. I found one online looking for an ESL job in China who just received his MA last year!

Come now, madman.
Are you aware that almost every university professor in almost every traditional university uses Teaching assistants to mark studnet papers? Did you really think your Linguistics 101 professor at UCLY or wherever marked all 60-100 papers in all 4 of his courses and over the weekend so you could have your results monday morning?

Ironically when I worked as an adunct faculty in a traditional university I had no Teaching assistants and so all my students at least could know who was marking their papers. In courses with tenured professors, on the other hand, one never knows which graduate student teaching assistant is doing the marking.
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: USQ Reply with quote

madmad wrote:

I wouldn't recommend USQ's MAPL program either unless you are really strapped for cash - they are cheaper than pretty much any other program I have come across.

It was certainly difficult for me to come to terms with the idea that I have sunk my hard earned money into a third rate program. I have to work two jobs in Thailand to pay for the program, and I had hopes and future plans resting on this.

A couple points. Try looking at University of Tasmania, I think you can do that for $2-3,000 less than USQ. It sounds like a one-man show and I'm sure the prof will mark all your papers. The only time I had a prof in Canada mark a paper was in 4th year and the courses only had 16 students in it. I don't always agree with my markers either, but then who does? Judging from all the comments I receive, they know their stuff IMO.

Why do you expect to be able to easily pay for your courses living in Thailand? You're working in a 3rd world country, paying for graduate courses in a 1st world country. I'm surprised you could do it with 3 jobs.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon,

You aren't being honest - at schools like UBC and SFU or UVIC Ph.D students are normally marking papers. Professors also mark papers.

USQ is a degree mill and somoeone with no teaching experience could conceivably be grading your papers.

You call that "Knowing their stuff?"

Australian universities, not just USQ, have devalued the M.A. degree and I really believe that the quality of these programs are highly questionable compared to Canadian and American M.A. degrees.

Madman, I also undestand why Gordon and Merlin are defensive when we criticize their school / program.

But the bottom line is that USQ is a degree mill and does not operate honestly.

The teaching staff are underqualified and do have not contributed to the literature - do a google and see what you get.

Manguhbai and Hatoss are the only 2 that have done any related research.

I asked one of the lectureres where the papers and assignments are sent to get marked -- she laughed, rolled her eyes and elected not to tell me.

She knows it's a sham as well - "Yee Haw University" (banjos playing in the background LOL!!)
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, nothing based on fact, only conjecture and hearsay.

So why did you go to USQ if you're so smart?

Still awaiting that list of good schools/bad schools. Might be waiting a long time.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman,

I was sitting on a city bus in Toowoomba. I started talking to the Asian girl next to me.

She said she was from Singapore and I her English didn't seem that good to me.

Anyhoo, she had just finished her B.A. at USQ in Business Administration and USQ had already had her grading students assignments in the distance courses.

They have so many distance education students that they do not have enough staff to grader assignments, so farm them out to current and former students to grade.

Many have very little previous work/life experience and have either not graduated yet or only graduated recently with only an undergraduate degree.

AMAZING!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: