Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: mushrikin Reply with quote

"Mushrikin" do NOT include the "People of the Book" i.e Jews and Christians.

There is some agreement in the Peninsula - at least in KSA - amongst the more radical Islamists that non-Muslims should not be allowed in the peninsula. Imagine the noise if it were even mooted that musilims be kept out of Western countries !!!
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: It has been mooted Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
" Imagine the noise if it were even mooted that muslims be kept out of Western countries !!! "
Well actually, such an extremely xenophobic, anti-Islamic position has been mooted ( I've always wanted to use that verb in the present perfect passive ) by such rabid fanatics as, for example, Ann Coulter, the " right-wing " columnist and others of her ilk ( there's another nice word ). Unfortunately, the West has its share of such bozos, as well.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: bozos galore Reply with quote

I was not myself advocating this policy. I was merely pointing out that many people woould be outraged if Western governements tried to exclude people on the basis of religion.

Human folly being what it is, we should expect the crazier elements of British and American society to come out with demands for the expulsion of the "Moors".
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Moor is Less Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
I didn't mean to suggest or imply that YOU were advocating such a policy, only that it has been advocated by some in the public eye in the West.
As for any organized demand to expel the Moors, well, I have a great slogan for such a group:
Moor is Less.
Regards,
John
nimra_ghalat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: hadith Reply with quote

In the same hadith the definition of the "peninsula" is fairly restricted as well, not including (apparently) the whole of the peninsula.
Note also that there was a significant Jewish community in Yemen/southern Arabia until just recently. Which is ironic because Saudi Arabia lets in people of practically any faith except Judaism, be they mono- or polytheists. (Unless you're secretary of state or something.)
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: admission to KSA Reply with quote

In fact the practice in KSA is much easier than it used to be. Recently there was a highly publicised visit by Stanley Cohen, a NY lawyer, who participated in public lectures on the Israeli-Palestinian dispute.

In a departutre from earlier policies Hindus, Sikhs and Budhists are also permitted entrance.

The problem faced by the governement is that there is a minority of opinion here that is very fundamentalist. The "mutawa" element has to be kept quiet by enforcing some regulations that do not please everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: