Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tsk Tsk PRI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:
However, one of the major changes that happened here when PRI was finally ousted was moving the center of power from the presidency to Congress where it should be. Who wins the presidency now is much less relevant than who gains power in Congress so I wouldn't really care to pick a president right now.

Hmm, that brings us to the problem of the political system, much the same as in the US. Having a president that is removed from congress does often render the president, who has the best of intentions, impotent. (Although, as I've mentioned twice before, the president does have the option of a decree in the case of matters of vital importance, although I recognize the danger of overusing it).

That's why I prefer the system in the UK, and in one of our colonies in North America. Wink

A parliamentary system does seem to get things done, provided you don't get too many parties vying. Look at India with some 500 parties!

The US only has two real parties but for all the troubles that system creates, it does get most things done. The three party power play here in Mexico with no one over 50% should have created shifting alliances to get legislation through but as we've seen, no one wants to play ball for fear of anyone else getting credit. It will be most interesting to see how the numbers change in Congress to get an idea as to what the next 6 years will hold.

As for the history of the PRI, well you ignore history at your own peril. In 2000, there was a great feeling of jubilation here as people tossed out the PRI - a party given to wiping out people's savings every 6 years through devaluations, high inflation, and outright theft. Jubilation quickly turned to the messy argument of actual democracy, but for all their faults the PAN have kept Mexico economically stable and growing. Lots of credit to Zedillo but PAN have put the right people at the helm.

AMLO got a mention earlier...snakeoil salesman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Will Mexicans vote for another 6 years of the party many view as largely responsible for the drug war? I doubt it.

I doubt it too.

Prof.Gringo wrote:
the PAN doesn�t have much to offer or so it seems.

12 years has shown that to be true.

Prof.Gringo wrote:
After almost 12 years out of power (and the last 6 were with Zedillo anyways) many Mexicans have a certain nostalgia for the "good-old" days of the PRI.

I don't blame them. I used to be able to take a bus from Dallas, Texas to Mexico City with no worries but after 12 years of the PAN and their LACK OF CONTROL over their own country, I would not even dream of taking a bus from Dallas to Mexico City. Things have deteriorated a LOT in my beautiful Mexico. Crying or Very sad

Pe�a Nieto & PRI are going to have to deliver a lot if they win as the polls currently project (sure things could change, but the overall feeling is the PRI will be back in power this time next year).

Mexican parties & politicians are big on fluff and short on substance.

Mexico needs some major overhauls.

Security & Crime: Create a national police force and a criminal court system and prison system that can actually handle the situation.

Jobs: Best way to increase people�s stake in society is to create better paying jobs (which pay taxes). Education means nothing if you still can�t get a good paying job.

Transparency: If the government is a giant black hole, people tend not to trust it much.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I actually agree with you, prof!

I would be interested to know how you would propose to "create" jobs, as governments don't create jobs, they just create the conditions for investors to create companies, which create jobs. What is required is private sector investment and inward (i.e. foreign) investment, not cushy jobs on government quangos.

I'd also add to your transparency point, accountability. The real ability of the average citizen to pursue complaints without a load of red tape and inconvenience.

As for the national police force, I agree, but would add that all police should be multitasking, with the citizens' interest at heart. I.e. NOT "sorry, I can't help that poor person who's being mugged, I'm a traffic cop".

Quote:

Just Mexican politicians? Sad
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
I would be interested to know how you would propose to "create" jobs, as governments don't create jobs, they just create the conditions for investors to create companies, which create jobs.

Obama would disagree with you, Phil. I myself believe the govt can help in the process of creating jobs. So, I guess it's safe to say then that the govt of Mexico has FAILED to create conditions for investors to create companies? The problem with most jobs in Mexico AND the U.S. is the salaries. People cannot live on the little salaries the get nor should they have to.

Salaries for the majority in Mexico are too low.

Phil_K wrote:
The real ability of the average citizen to pursue complaints without a load of red tape and inconvenience.

I feel this is a GLOBAL problem.

Quote:

Phil_K wrote:
Just Mexican politicians? Sad

Nope. ALL politicians and political parties. Most if not all are probably controlled by the lobbyists/special interest groups.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama would disagree with you, Phil.

Glad to hear it!
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the games begin?
Quote:
President Felipe Calderon's National Action Party called that explanation "an insult to the intelligence of Mexicans," whose tax laws, crime problem, strict campaign finance laws and economic problems make carrying such large amounts of cash very unusual.

"It is no coincidence that this amount of money was taken to Toluca ... and that is precisely where the campaign of the PRI's favored son, Enrique Pena Nieto, operates," National Action said in a statement.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2012/02/mexico-pols-trade-barbs-over-19m-found.html

Quote:
The money came from Veracruz, a Gulf coast state governed by Pena Nieto's Institutional Revolutionary Party, known as the PRI. The state official said he was making a hurried payment to a legitimate company for consulting services.
Laughing Laughing
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet the new PRI, same as the old PRI�
http://burrohall.blogspot.com/2012/01/el-grifter.html
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:

There's no way the PRI can do any worse than the PAN has done over the last 12 years. Look at the complete mess Mexico is in today.

Viva PRI!!!!

Viva Nieto!!!!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
notamiss wrote:

There's no way the PRI can do any worse than the PAN has done over the last 12 years. Look at the complete mess Mexico is in today.

Viva PRI!!!!

Viva Nieto!!!!

I would be surprised if the PRI did not win the election this year and win in a very big way. Wink

I have some close (Family Wink )connections with people who are very well connected and high up in the PRI, so a win for the PRI would be nice. Perhaps I can get that job that has been promised to me, Director of EFL programs for the SEP Shocked Laughing Cool
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
notamiss wrote:

Viva PRI!!!!

Viva Nieto!!!!

Prof.Gringo wrote:
I would be surprised if the PRI did not win the election this year and win in a very big way. Wink

I have some close (Family Wink )connections with people who are very well connected and high up in the PRI, so a win for the PRI would be nice. Perhaps I can get that job that has been promised to me, Director of EFL programs for the SEP Shocked Laughing Cool
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: