Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenencia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who tells a story of his brother after the birth of his second child he said--We used to be a couple with a child, now we're an army.

And you need a personnel transporter to transport an army.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tret,

You paid cash for your car? You didnt say what you bought but walking around, even for a short time, with 50 - 350 K in your pocket is the thing corridos are made of. Laughing
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't say what he got.
I also paid cash for my car--and it was a lot less than 50 K!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why should I spend a ton of money on a car while living in a city like the D.F. with its excellent public transportation system?

You shouldn't! It's entirely your choice, as it is also mine to have one.

What I can't get through here though, is that I don't have to justify it to anyone. I happen to have no need to spend thousands on an iPhone, but for many people it's either a necessity (doubtful!) or a luxury they want because they can afford it, and that's fine by me. (Yes, Isla, I know you have a basic phone, but I'm talking in general).

Also, and by the way, I'd like to know in what way the transport system can be considered "excellent". From my point view, it's only excellent in its quantity (and price), but definitely not in its quality!
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
As far as I understood it, tenencia is gone in DF, at least for cars under BMW level prices.

http://www.eluniversaldf.mx/home/nota40408.html

Yeah, right. Note #4. Pay $314 and get the tenencia 100% subsidized. That worked well for our newer (6-year-old) car, but the beater is so old that the tenencia came out to less than 300 pesos, but we still have to pay $314 for the �privilege� of having the tenencia subsidized on that car.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, and by the way, I'd like to know in what way the transport system can be considered "excellent". From my point view, it's only excellent in its quantity (and price), but definitely not in its quality!

Quantity and price as you mention, for sure. You don't have to wait more than a few minutes for a metro train (usually) or a bus, for a ridiculously cheap price. In my hometown, the bus is 40 pesos a ride and in the burbs it comes by once an hour.

Speed is what I see as best. For the type of trips around town I take, a car would be slowest.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:
As far as I understood it, tenencia is gone in DF, at least for cars under BMW level prices.

http://www.eluniversaldf.mx/home/nota40408.html

Yeah, right. Note #4. Pay $314 and get the tenencia 100% subsidized. That worked well for our newer (6-year-old) car, but the beater is so old that the tenencia came out to less than 300 pesos, but we still have to pay $314 for the �privilege� of having the tenencia subsidized on that car.

What did tenencia cost before the change? I thought it was in the thousands...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:

You answered your own question there. Quantity and price do it for me. Oh, and coverage, too. The comparison is: walking over a km to the nearest bus stop, waiting 40 minutes, and paying over $3 (dollars), vs. having bus routes that penetrate everywhere, buses never more than a couple minutes away, and paying 1/10 of the price.

Last edited by notamiss on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

What did tenencia cost before the change? I thought it was in the thousands...

A wide range, depending on the age of the vehicle. The 6-year-old car would have been just over $3000, and the old one would have been $200-something, so I guess we still come out ahead.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tenecia on my 72 VW was 187 pesos. Cool

of course there is plate cost, verification fees, etc. on top of that. But if you pay in the first two months of the year you get a discount here in Oaxaca.
Even when we had a '98 Explorer it was under 500 a year. About 1500 the first time because it was from the US and we imported it.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="notamiss"]
Phil_K wrote:
Quote:

You answered your own question there. Quantity and price do it for me. Oh, and coverage, too. The comparison is: walking over a km to the nearest bus stop, waiting 40 minutes, and paying over $3 (dollars), to having bus routes that penetrate everywhere, buses never more than a couple minutes away, and paying 1/10 of the price.

For me, another thing to consider is how convenient and inexpensive it is compared to the often lousy and expensive or non-existent public transportation system in most parts of the US, my basis of comparison.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
[For me, another thing to consider is how convenient and inexpensive it is compared to the often lousy and expensive or non-existent public transportation system in most parts of the US, my basis of comparison.

We don't need a good public transportation system in the U.S. because people here make enough to buy cars.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Isla Guapa"]
notamiss wrote:
Phil_K wrote:
Quote:

You answered your own question there. Quantity and price do it for me. Oh, and coverage, too. The comparison is: walking over a km to the nearest bus stop, waiting 40 minutes, and paying over $3 (dollars), to having bus routes that penetrate everywhere, buses never more than a couple minutes away, and paying 1/10 of the price.

For me, another thing to consider is how convenient and inexpensive it is compared to the often lousy and expensive or non-existent public transportation system in most parts of the US, my basis of comparison.

Again, each to his own, but I prefer comfort, and you certainly don't get that! For me, price isn't the primary consideration when buying anything, value for money is, and when you take cheap D.F. transport you get what you pay for, especially on the peseros!

BTW, the speed argument isn't necessarily true. In the past, for example, I had classes at the Perif�rico end of Polanco. On public transport, it required two changes on the metro and bus, all of which would take over an hour. I could easily do it in half that time by car, keeping cool and arriving happier. Certainly does it for me!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
EF Ed you're making way too many assumptions about others' (that's us) situation in life. We paid cash for the car, my employer always pays on time, and my wife works. See what I mean...?

I was, until recently, the only English teacher I know who didn't have a car: that was my preference, but my wife has a voice in things, too. Marriage is a bit like that....

...I also think that a man who loves his wife doesn't really want to take her out to dinner, shopping, etc., on public transport!! But maybe I'm just one of a dying breed... Sad
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Phil_K"]
Isla Guapa wrote:
notamiss wrote:
Phil_K wrote:
Quote:

Again, each to his own, but I prefer comfort, and you certainly don't get that! For me, price isn't the primary consideration when buying anything, value for money is, and when you take cheap D.F. transport you get what you pay for, especially on the peseros!

BTW, the speed argument isn't necessarily true. In the past, for example, I had classes at the Perif�rico end of Polanco. On public transport, it required two changes on the metro and bus, all of which would take over an hour. I could easily do it in half that time by car, keeping cool and arriving happier. Certainly does it for me!

That particular spot is painful for public transport and it looks like it may get to be less than an hour in a car once they finish all the work on the tunnels and segundo nivel. I had that run in a taxi at rush hour one Monday morning with the girlfriend in labour...we almost didn't make it.

On speed though, nothing beats the metro on shorter hops - maybe not the comfiest - or better, the metrobus. If I lived in the burbs, it would be a different story...2 hours in by car and comfy or 3 hours in by bus and not comfy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: