Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Would You Do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Suerte :).. Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:
I will be sticking it out here in Queretaro and will find a way to make it work. For me, and I assume for some others, there is no United States anymore, that's all in the past, there is just the "now" wherever I am. And Queretaro is a mighty nice place to be. It's like living in a city the caliber of San Francisco, for 5% of the cost.

Why be so stringent? Do you dislike the US for some reason? And I am astonished to hear you compare Queretaro so favorably to San Francisco. I know nothing about Queretaro, but come on, really? Can it be that nice?

First: Queretaro. Oh my yes. I'm far from the only one that feels that way. And I lived in San Francisco for five years (1985-1989), so I hope that I know what I'm talking about when I make the comparison.

It is true that Queretaro doesn't have the spectacular water-surrounded setting of San Francisco (although it is ringed by impressive mountains). But the city is utterly beautiful, vibrant, steeped in history and culture. Business (including tons of international investment) is booming here, and yet the cost of living remains affordable. Traffic AROUND the city is becoming a bit of a problem, but that is the defect of a positive quality, economic growth.

Queretaro is a "safe zone" in the larger Mexican context. I'm of course not privy to whatever secret machinations make it so, but everyone says this. It is strikingly clean, because the city has taken the simple step of putting garbage cans on poles in every block. Many of the sights, such as the famous 1726-1738 aqueduct and the centuries-old city park the Alameda Hidalgo, have been recently restored and are glistening.

The Centro Historico reminds me of another great historic location, Quebec City, with cool art galleries and bistros down every winding alley. The Centro is full of promenaders and tourists at all hours of the day. It is thoroughly charming in every respect.

There are parks and plazas all over the place. In my opinion, it would be impossible to have a great city without great trees, and Queretaro's are remarkable (and in some cases very old).

Second: the United States. Well, I grew up in America's last heyday, the Sixties and Seventies (although even by the Seventies, there was some decline). It's just not the same for me anymore. Divisive politics, falling wages, the "American Dream" increasingly out of reach for many - the realities are not very attractive, and are a big part of why I "went international" five years ago. I've never had to look back (admittedly, that would be difficult for most, because of family commitments). And I can't imagine going back, because virtually all the places in the U.S. that are appealing to live in have become just too darned expensive.

Last edited by Fitzgerald on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
It's a little sad that people get to feel that way about their own country. For me, my country (England) is in my heart and will never leave. I see many things happen there now that do not do not belong to the country I love, but just like my marriage, and the occasional problems that arise in it, divorce is not an option.
We are our country, not the politicians or the stupid laws.

I still have feelings for the United States, of course - heck, I majored in American Studies in college - but they have become mainly sad feelings about lost potential. Maybe someday the country will bounce back, but for now the situation seems pretty ugly to me.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:

I still have feelings for the United States, of course - heck, I majored in American Studies in college - but they have become mainly sad feelings about lost potential. Maybe someday the country will bounce back, but for now the situation seems pretty ugly to me.

What he said, for some of the same reasons, and some others. I can´t imagine ever living in the US, and really don´t even like to visit anymore. For me, there are far more negatives than positives.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard told that the cartels send their kids to live in Queretaro which is why it's safe.
It is truly lovely.

Edited and I promise not to post on public transit ever again.

Last edited by MotherF on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I"he heard told me hat the cartels send their kids to live in Queretaro which is why it's safe.
It is truly lovely.

I hear the same thing, often.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am moving to Queretaro. There have been a bunch of assalts on buses here in the area I live in, all at night. We went to Fresnillo on Sunday and had a scary minute, when a car darted in front of the bus and the driver thought it was trying to stop the bus, but it just turned out to be an idiot driver. The did catch a group of people this week, but they aren´t sure if they are responsible for all of the assalts or only some of them. We still have no police here, though there are Marines 30 minutes away and the state police drive through from time to time. It is not good. Yeah, I´m moving to Queretaro.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain de Botton has recently been theorizing about what makes cities attractive, and he came up with these six points. Queretaro clears all six bars without breaking a sweat.

Challenging the notion that beauty is subjective, Alain de Botton has made a case for attractive cities, believing that a city’s beauty is key to its success and citizens’ quality of life. The Swiss philosopher, author and founder of London’s The School of Life believes that attractiveness is the primary reason why many choose to vacation to Paris, and not Frankfurt.

“We think beauty is subjective, and so no one should say anything about it,” says Botton. “It’s a very understandable qualm, but it’s also horribly useful to greedy property developers.”

So, what makes a city attractive? Find out Botton’s six points for beautiful cities, after the break.

Variety and order – “Order means balance, symmetry and repetition… Order is one of the reasons so many people love Paris… However, excessive order can be just as much a problem.”

Visible life – “There are streets that are dead and streets that are alive. And in general, we crave the live ones.”

Compact – “All the most beautiful compact cities have squares… The ideal square must offer a sense of containment not claustrophobia.”

Orientation and mystery – “By definition, cities are HUGE. But the cities that a lot of people love also have lots of little backstreets and small lanes where you can feel cozy and get a bit lost.”

Scale – “Modern cities are all about BIG things. Joseph Campbell once wrote, ‘If you want to see what a society really believes in, look at what the biggest buildings on the horizon are dedicated too…’ The ideal height for any city block is 5 stories high – no more… Of course, occasionally there can be a huge building, but lets keep that for something really special – something all of humanity can love.”

Make it local – “We don’t want building’s to look the same everywhere.”
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am blogging about my experiences now, and including plenty of photographs:

http://queretaroencantador.blogspot.mx/
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LEAVE.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:

Your boss probably is in fact nice..both Mexicans and foreigners setting up schools in Latin America almost always are. And he is dealing with the reality of the Latin American culture..students likely don't pay him on time. But that is not an excuse. It you work, you must be paid. If he really has no way to do that, he needs to be honest with you and explain that he can't employ you.

I have been thinking of these insightful words this week, because I have been running into more problems with my now-former boss. My sense that he is a nice guy is fading rapidly. Probably he is not a bad person, just a desperate one. But that doesn't make dealing with him any easier.

He had demanded a final meeting on Tuesday of this week, which I was more than happy to have. I would hand over my timesheets for February (which he already had photos of by email, so he knew my hours), and all the teaching materials of his that I have on hand. In turn, I would receive my final pay by wire transfer into my bank account.

On Tuesday, though, he texted me that he wasn't feeling well and couldn't have the meeting that day. I responded by asking for at least part of my pay that day, and was marginally surprised when he coughed up 3,000 pesos of the approximately 8,000 pesos that he owed me. This did mean that we would have a repeat of last month, when he paid me piecemeal.

He promised to contact me by Tuesday night to re-schedule the meeting. Of course, that did not happen. He did not contact me on Wednesday either.

Having given him some breathing room, I tried calling him on Thursday. No response. I sent him a simple text message. No response.

I have tried calling, texting, and emailing again this morning, with the same lack of results.

So I finally just now sent him a more pointed email, because this is getting ridiculous. I reminded him that I had done everything he asked me to do in exactly the way that he asked me to do it:

I gave you two weeks notice.

I taught excellent classes up to the end.

I did not speak of my departure to any of the students. (I do have all of their contact information.)

I submitted scans of timesheets as requested.

I submitted grades and comments as requested.

I have my final timesheets ready, with all necessary signatures.

I have all materials ready to return to you.

So in return for all of this, all I want is for us to have our final meeting and to get paid promptly and in full for the work that I have done. It is only fair.

I underlined the bit about having the contact information at the end of the email:

You must know that my next step would be to contact [Company A], [Company B], and [Private Student C] to let them know what kind of "business" you are running. I do not want to do that. PLEASE do not put me in the position where I feel I have to do that.

So wow, this is exhausting. I have friends who ran into this sort of evasiveness while working for language schools in Asia, but I had hoped never to encounter it myself. Unfortunately, if you stay in the business long enough, you do encounter every kind of bad behavior that there is.

Well, at least the new school that I started working for this week seems pretty professional. Fingers crossed that I will continue to think so!
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update in the ongoing novel:

My former boss finally texted me to say that I am being "nasty," and then tellingly wrote: "I'm expecting one of my clients to pay today and then I'll be able to meet you tomorrow."

I responded:

I will need that remaining pay in cash. I have waited long enough for it.

You say that I am being "nasty," but believe me, you have not seen me nasty, and you don't want to, so let's not go there. As I said in my earlier email today, I have followed all your instructions to the tee. It is you who have not been able to keep up your end of things. I am somewhat sympathetic to financial difficulties, and I do not hate you, or even dislike you. But when you constantly delay, in part by simply not responding to communications, you wear down my patience, and I then feel it is necessary to take a more direct tone. You did not pay me off last month for January's work until I had sent you a pretty direct email. The same will be true this month. But instead of realizing that you owe ME an apology, you take this affronted, petulant tone for my supposed offenses to YOU. It does not come off very well.

The fact is, as you well know, that if you cannot pay "employees" on time WHETHER OR NOT your clients have paid you, then your cash flow does not justify having employees. It is really that simple. No explanations to the employees could possibly suffice. Both last month and this, you have made paying me contingent on your getting money from someone else. For a business owner, this looks terrible.

But whatever, water under the bridge, let's just finish this up. Although your behaviors have undoubtedly annoyed me, in the end I bear you no ill-will. As soon as I have been paid, I forget and I move on.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your situation is resolved soon. Your former employer has no sense of reality if he thinks you're being unreasonable for demanding payment for services rendered. He knows very well you were not a volunteer, and that you have expenses of your own. What an absurd way of thinking.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:
I hope your situation is resolved soon. Your former employer has no sense of reality if he thinks you're being unreasonable for demanding payment for services rendered. He knows very well you were not a volunteer, and that you have expenses of your own. What an absurd way of thinking.

Thank you! I am supposed to pick up the money in a couple of hours. The former boss sent me a couple of infuriated, lashing-out-in-all-directions emails this morning - I guess I must have gotten under his skin. I suppose that I have to feel sorry for him - as long as he hands over that cash.

I always find it interesting, in Mexico, Korea, the United States, or anywhere, when people default to the petulant mode when you raise a perfectly reasonable point, and use facts and logic to buttress your argument. Their reactions often come across as the equivalent of "Stop it, your facts and logic hurt me!" To which my MENTAL reply would be, "Well, gee, I'm sorry that you're going out into the real world so unprotected, but it is really not my problem."

UPDATE: I got all my money, but not before he verbally lashed at me and accused me of every sin in the book. Hey, you get to insult me as long as you pay me. Very Happy
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Now to move forward to better things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: